• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Found an interesting article on this subject but nothing comes up searching here. Any comments on this? Could this be another topic soon?

Loss of Smokeless Powder

Makes some sense, short article on Montana introducing State incentives for powder production, job creation, pro 2A.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I think we should all go rape the shelves of local powder dealers followed by buying all the fixed ammo we can carry away when that runs out!

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Making powder is a pricey and dangerous business....you would be hard pressed to find someone willing to front that kind of money....great idea, but, not really practical with all of the regs regarding manufacture of explosives and all of the safeties required

My dad worked on the Gov't side of this for a while, ATK/Hercules was one of his main contacts, pretty much the only reason we have two left is because Gov't contracts keep them open, the consumer end is pennies in the big scheme of things and that income would hardly support a business by itself

St. Marks, Fl (mentioned in article) is where a lot of the Hogdon/Win Ball powders come from

Radford may sill produce some small arms powder for Gov't use (Run now by BAE)

Here is a good article i saw on this a while back, that addresses a lot of issues

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/reloading/92319-list-who-actually-makes-smokeless-gunpowders.html

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Is it that the civilian market gets powders that are part of Military production, and nothing is made purely for civilian market? I didn't know the military could use so many different types.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    ATK (Alliant) operates at Radford. I believe they are the only ones who make double base in the US. It isn't a large operation. Most of the old arsenal is contracted out or abandoned.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Is it that the civilian market gets powders that are part of Military production, and nothing is made purely for civilian market? I didn't know the military could use so many different types.

No, they produce specific products for specific markets.

And consumer powders are more difficult, as they have to end up with the exact same characteristics batch to batch.

Military powders they test each batch and load for that batch. But BIG batches. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom