• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    I have pickup load of firewood left if anyone needs it. Tree was cut down last fall and I split it over the winter.
    You can backup to it as soon as the ground dries up a bit.
    Located in western Howard Co.

Attachments

• firewood.jpg
      firewood.jpg
      162.8 KB · Views: 401

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I'll take it, thank you, once the ground dries out just let me know. I just have a short bed Tacoma so may take 2 trips, I'm in the Sykesville area so should not be too far.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Freakin awesome! This is a great community that this would be offered. We heat our house with a wide burning insert the majority of the winter, my parents heat their house some in winter with a stove as well. Thankfully I'm able to find, split and store wood for both households throughout the year, but this is a great offer... free seasoned oak!

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    I'll take it, thank you, once the ground dries out just let me know. I just have a short bed Tacoma so may take 2 trips, I'm in the Sykesville area so should not be too far.
    I will PM you later this week with my contact info. I am just down the road from you.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Freakin awesome! This is a great community that this would be offered. We heat our house with a wide burning insert the majority of the winter, my parents heat their house some in winter with a stove as well. Thankfully I'm able to find, split and store wood for both households throughout the year, but this is a great offer... free seasoned oak!

It isn't seasoned quite yet. Takes about 2 to 3 years for oak to season well enough such that it is 20% or less water content. It is a good start though.

We heat our entire house with firewood. A member on here just down the road from me has graciously allowed me to get firewood off of his property. Last year, we thought we were moving, even put a couple offers on homes, so I did not cut and split much. Now, we think we are staying and we burned everything we had this past year. So, I will be firing up the chainsaws and splitter pretty soon and looking to process 6 cords to get back into the game of being ahead. Going to need poplar and maple for this upcoming winter, and then oak, locust, hickory, and if I can find it, osage orange, to get back into the long game.

OP - kudos to you for offering this up and I am glad to see that Augie is the one picking it up.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    If you find any straight grained Osage in the trunk save a 5' section. Split it out in to splits about 3" or so across the bark area. Look up Osage Staves for sale. I would say 10% of the trees are working using this way, so most won't be useful except for firewood.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Just wondering why you need all the different species of trees?

Poplar and pine season really fast. I cut a huge poplar up last May and it was ready to burn this past winter. Same goes for maple and cherry. They season fast.

The denser woods, like oak, locust, hickory, take 2 to 3 years to season properly. I use a wood moisture meter to test this. You split a piece open after a year and measure the moisture content along the fresh split. Red oak has taken forever to season. Ideally, you want the moisture reading to be below 20%, and most red oak comes above 40% when first cut down and split.

The smaller the split, the quicker the piece seasons. The longer it is in the sun and wind, the quicker it seasons.

If I was 3 years ahead, like I once was, I would only be looking for the higher btu, denser wood, like oak, hickory, and locust because when I am 3 years ahead I can wait for it to season. So, I need to get 3 years ahead again. I need to put up some dense wood with a burn date of fall 2021 and then I need to put up some poplar, maple, and other quick seasoning wood for a fall 2019 burn date.

The problem with burning unseasoned wood is that a lot of the energy from the fire is used to turn the water within the wood into steam. If you throw an unseasoned log into the fire and look at it closely, you can see the steam pouring out the ends of the log. This results in the fire not running as hot, the flu not running as hot, and it causes creosote to build up in the flu.

Randy Wood

Jan 30, 2010
    That was a very thorough and highly informative answer. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    That was a very thorough and highly informative answer. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

You are welcome.

I spent a month or so researching all of this back in 2011 when I was putting in the wood burning furnace. Wanted to find out what was the highest btu wood, how long wood takes to season, etc. My dad had always told me 1 year and it is all good to go. After I did all the research, he and I had a "debate" and he disagreed with me. A couple years later, he did some testing on his own with some red oak of his seasoned for 1 year versus some red oak that I gave him that was seasoned for 3 years. He realized the error of his ways and now he has about 5 years worth of firewood stacked up. So much firewood, that my mom is now telling him to stop collecting it. Kind of like my wife when I was 3 years ahead. Once you start burning firewood to heat the house and you scavenge the wood like I do, you start looking at every downed tree as $$$$$$$$$$.

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    you start looking at every downed tree as $$$$$$$$$$.
    I look at a downed tree as more work. The only use for firewood I have is my shop and I have what seems like an unlimited supply. My friends take most of it. After spending all winter cutting,splitting and chipping I was finally done for the year then last month this happens on a breezy Monday. 85ft hickory comes down.
    If you are interested in firewood send me a PM.

Attachments

• IMG_1636.jpg
      IMG_1636.jpg
      200.8 KB · Views: 94

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I look at a downed tree as more work. The only use for firewood I have is my shop and I have what seems like an unlimited supply. My friends take most of it. After spending all winter cutting,splitting and chipping I was finally done for the year then last month this happens on a breezy Monday. 85ft hickory comes down.
    If you are interested in firewood send me a PM.

PM sent, and thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom