• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Took a chance on one of those Royal Tiger SKS's with their 'no returns' policy. Even the box was soaked with cosmo, but on first glance I 'm happy. Looks to be an all-matching E-prefix Sino-Soviet; no cracks in the wood but lots of character, with bayonet. Overall in pretty decent shape, will be cleaning it up later today and checking the bore, but I suspect that will be in pretty good shape as well. I don't think I'm worried about the 'no return' policy.

Wow, that's really nice!

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    That one looks exceptionally nice! I even see a little /26\ peeking through the grease!

I believe that makes it what we have been calling a "letter gun" instead of straight Russian.

???

Yeah ... the terminology on these has been morphing a bit, but most people still think of them as Sino-Soviet "letter guns", and some one guy has a compelling (but not convincing) theory that they were made about 1960. I don't think anyone has claimed these to be "straight Russian". The Jianshe arsenal stamp is proof that they are not.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    ???

Yeah ... the terminology on these has been morphing a bit, but most people still think of them as Sino-Soviet "letter guns", and some one guy has a compelling (but not convincing) theory that they were made about 1960. I don't think anyone has claimed these to be "straight Russian". The Jianshe arsenal stamp is proof that they are not.

I meant the Cyrillic letter serials without the /26\ are straight Russian (at least the parts :D). Obviously anything with /26\ is Chinese.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    I meant the Cyrillic letter serials without the /26\ are straight Russian (at least the parts :D). Obviously anything with /26\ is Chinese.

I'm not so sure about that. The ones with a two-letter prefix all seem to be Russian, but there are one-letter prefix Chinese that do, and some that don't, have the arsenal mark. Nobody's really sure why, but there are a few theories floating around.

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    Docster, you done good. That stock is nice. Royal Tiger has their warts for sure. However, they have sent out some nice SKS's for good prices during the last few months. My u fix-ems have been great for the price.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Here's some pix after cleanup, and yes. there's a /26\ marking there.

Attachments

• SinoSovietSKS2Ar.jpg
      SinoSovietSKS2Ar.jpg
      18.5 KB · Views: 450
    • SinoSovietSKS2serial.jpg
      SinoSovietSKS2serial.jpg
      49.2 KB · Views: 453
    • SinoSovietSKS2Wood.jpg
      SinoSovietSKS2Wood.jpg
      34.5 KB · Views: 447
    • SinoSovietSKS2L.jpg
      SinoSovietSKS2L.jpg
      18.2 KB · Views: 430

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Steve - Any numbers on the stock? The color of that one is far nicer than most that have been soaking in cosmo for decades. I hope its an original! Really nice!

No, no numbers on the stock. Don't know if it's original or replacement. The buttplate has 2 openings in it which is not typical of the Chinese, more likely Albanian I think.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    Likely a replacement stock. I just got my Royal Tiger today. It's not as nice as yours, but still pretty good. Close serial E63XX. Unlike yours, it has a matching serial number on the stock. The stock is also darker and has a splotchy finish typical of my other early Chinese SKS's.

Yours is an really nice looking example, however! Congratulations.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Likely a replacement stock. I just got my Royal Tiger today. It's not as nice as yours, but still pretty good. Close serial E63XX. Unlike yours, it has a matching serial number on the stock. The stock is also darker and has a splotchy finish typical of my other early Chinese SKS's.

Yours is an really nice looking example, however! Congratulations.

No pics :(

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    No, no numbers on the stock. Don't know if it's original or replacement. The buttplate has 2 openings in it which is not typical of the Chinese, more likely Albanian I think.

Yep. That would be an Albanian stock. I wondered about that when I saw the color, but I couldn't see the front part of the stock well enough to tell if it had been modified.

I think that makes it interesting and unusual in its own right. Nice snag! I had one like that awhile back, did a trade for it to a LGS, and they sold it to a guy who bubbaed it up. What a shame.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Yep. That would be an Albanian stock. I wondered about that when I saw the color, but I couldn't see the front part of the stock well enough to tell if it had been modified.

I think that makes it interesting and unusual in its own right. Nice snag! I had one like that awhile back, did a trade for it to a LGS, and they sold it to a guy who bubbaed it up. What a shame.

Damn,no matching stock! And I paid $242....:D

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Pop open the two ports on that buttplate and see if there are holes under each of them ... or pull it off and look (the hinges probably need cleaning anyway).

OK, but I did stick my pinkie into each of the ports.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom