• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I am loading 88 gr. Hornady ELD-M’s to extended lengths (COAL) from 2.270” up to 2.300” for my AR-15 based 224Valkyrie, using a cut-away “window” magazine. These COAL lengths have fed and fired previously with no issues.

The Rock River buffer spring and weight were replaced with a JP Power Gen2 Heavy (H2) Silent Recoil Buffer assembly. (The stock Rock River buffer weight was close to H3 weight.) This has been the only change to the rifle. Yesterday I experienced several FTF’s caused when the plastic tips of the extended COAL 88 gr. ELD’s broke off when feeding. No FTF’s on the first round, always one fed by gas cycling. On one of these FTF’s a broken tip went into the chamber and dented the shoulder of the case.

Next time out I will take the RRA buffer system with me and try again, but I am wondering what about the JP system (if that’s the culprit) has caused the issue. Cases are being ejected with reasonable force at about 4 o’clock, and are landing ~10 feet away on concrete.

Is there something like over-gassing or under-gassing that can typically cause this issue? The 224V upper has an adjustable gas block that was not adjusted yesterday.

Any insights / thoughts appreciated.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Could recoil be the culprit?

Feed ramps been cut, matched, and polished?

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Feed Ramps

What do you mean by recoil?

That reminds me . . . there was an additional change besides the buffer system between when these rounds fed A-OK and now.

In response to scratches showing on the cases and bullets, the very sharp edges of the feed ramp "notches"(?) were very slightly buffed dull and the ramps slightly polished.

GZY56RM.jpg

I really don't think this minor change could be responsible for the current issue???

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    The 88 gr. ELD-M appears to be the most successfully handloaded bullet for this cartridge, and is capable of realizing the purported ballistic advantage of the 224V round. The rifle shoots 77 gr. TMK's and SMK's just fine with long COAL's. Also - I just bought 500 of them. :(

PS - The 224V does not seem to load or shoot 90 gr. Berger VLD's very well.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My concern was that the change in recoil that may have occurred after the change in buffer systems may be pushing the rounds forward in the 'stack' while shooting and that they may be rubbing/bumping as they rise.

As far as feed ramps go, be sure the metal feed ramps of the barrel extension do not protrude beyond the feed ramps(aluminum) of the upper receiver. That would cause a snag at the bullet tips as they cycle into the chamber.

Next range trip, before you yank the JP buffer out, play with the adjustable gas to see if that can correct the problem.

I'm assuming you're talking about something like this?

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    do not know much about the valkyrie round but do you have access to mag made for the round and not a "bubba" mag. Not calling you a bubba but refering to the benchtop modifications many "off" rounds need to work in existing equipment.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Yes. "Cut Out" mag (15 round 6.8SPC Mag cut out to hold 11 224V rounds).

You may be right as to the mechanism of the breakage = rounds moving forward at the top of the mag and catching tips on feeding.
    I'll try tuning with the gas block (more gas / less gas?), but I'll also try short (2.260") rounds in the modified mag to see if the problem shows with those also.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    do not know much about the valkyrie round but do you have access to mag made for the round and not a "bubba" mag. Not calling you a bubba but refering to the benchtop modifications many "off" rounds need to work in existing equipment.

I don't know a lot about this round yet or why people want to load them 'longer', but there seems t be a need. Being that the OP's gun is an AR 15 body, in order to load longer than 2.260, you need to remove the front portion of a standard AR mag to gain a few hundredths of an inch. He can't elongate the mag/mag well. He can't lower the river. He has to raise the bridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom