• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    I recently bought a Rossi M92 in 357/38. I had to send it back to Rossi for repairs.

(see these threads for that story https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=232091
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=233392 )

Probably a lot of you more well-versed in the firearms world already know this? From the letter I received back from Rossi, it appears they are owned by Taurus Holdings as is Heritage. So I thought I'd share that here.

If you look closely at the letter, yes, processing is estimated to be 12 weeks. I hope the rifle I get back is actually repaired.

rossi letter.jpg

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Not surprising. Just waiting on the well Taurus owns it now the Rossi and Heritage suck crowd.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    While I very much like my Rossi M 92, I can't deny they lack proper QC. Otherwise mine wouldn't have needed to be sent back for repairs.

There are various reasons things fail, most fall into improper assembly, manufacturing issues on parts, or unseen damage. QC can see and find assembly issues and damage issues, QC has a hard time finding that screw or pin or widget that is a little out of spec or made from a bad hunk of whatever. I judge a company by how they make it right.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I knew about the Taurus/Rosssi connection but not Heritage.
    Never very owned a Heritage.
    Owned a Rossi revolver many years ago, it was OK and no better.
    Own an old PT92 and it's been very reliable and accurate.
    2 Taurus revolvers we're a turd and a decent gun.
    I would rather Taurus sucked at everything or got their shit together.
    Inconsistency is frustrating and not worth gambling on.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I knew about the Taurus/Rosssi connection but not Heritage.
    Never very owned a Heritage.
    Owned a Rossi revolver many years ago, it was OK and no better.
    Own an old PT92 and it's been very reliable and accurate.
    2 Taurus revolvers we're a turd and a decent gun.
    I would rather Taurus sucked at everything or got their shit together.
    Inconsistency is frustrating and not worth gambling on.

I think Taurus is good with tried and true designs, PT92, 1911, many of the revolvers copied from S&W. They just suck making their own stuff. I do not know if its the engineering or manufacturing but their own designs are spotty at best. When I see a Taurus i only look at the stuff they did not design.

I think Taurus is good with tried and true designs, PT92, 1911, many of the revolvers copied from S&W. They just suck making their own stuff. I do not know if its the engineering or manufacturing but their own designs are spotty at best. When I see a Taurus i only look at the stuff they did not design.

And let's not forget to mention that once Taurus discontinues one of their own designs they quit making parts for them. My brother has one of their 40 cal pistols that came with two magazines. One of the mags is no longer functional. Taurus doesnt make them any longer and no one else makes aftermarket mags for it.. Trying to find a used one is a crapshoot because they were made from cheap sheet metal that wears out. If you can get someone who is selling them they're always way overpriced and apparently many of the ones being sold have the same issue that his broken one has.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Taurus' US subsidiary's website says they own the exclusive importer for Rossi.
    https://www.taurususa.com/company/

Founded in 1982, Taurus Holdings Inc. is a Florida based holding company which owns some of the most robust firearms brands currently available on the US Market. Taurus Holdings is owned by the famous publicly Brazilian firm Taurus Armas, S.A.

These brands are:

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc. (Taurus)
    Braztech International, LC (Rossi)
    Heritage Manufacturing, Inc. (Heritage)

Taurus of Brazil bought Rossi in 2008.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...ecame-the-only-product-that-can-t-be-recalled

The army, which regulates firearms in Brazil, requires law enforcement to buy guns made in Brazil. In 2008, Taurus bought its largest domestic rival, Rossi, and it now has effective control of 90 percent of gun manufacturing in Brazil, Tinôco says.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    There are various reasons things fail, most fall into improper assembly, manufacturing issues on parts, or unseen damage. QC can see and find assembly issues and damage issues, QC has a hard time finding that screw or pin or widget that is a little out of spec or made from a bad hunk of whatever. I judge a company by how they make it right.

REAL QA/QC is designed to find exactly that sort of issue, or are you talking about just some guy "eyeballing" something? Effective QC finds and notes defects and effective QA looks at the processes that caused those items to be defective.
    Things like "improper assembly, manufacturing issues on parts, or unseen damage" are symptomatic of a poor manufacturing process. The problem with some companies today, is that when you buy their product, you just landed a (non-paying) job as their QC inspector.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    REAL QA/QC is designed to find exactly that sort of issue, or are you talking about just some guy "eyeballing" something? Effective QC finds and notes defects and effective QA looks at the processes that caused those items to be defective.
    Things like "improper assembly, manufacturing issues on parts, or unseen damage" are symptomatic of a poor manufacturing process. The problem with some companies today, is that when you buy their product, you just landed a (non-paying) job as their QC inspector.

So what mythical company has 100% QA/QC and never puts something out that never fails. Man made shit will always have some level of reliability issues QA/QC is an attempt to limit those issues. Beyond small batch items most companies hardly do 100% QA/QC on every part and component.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I just wish they would bring back the nifty gallery guns. Always buy them when I see them affordable. Parts are hard to get so you almost need two or three for spares!

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    So what mythical company has 100% QA/QC and never puts something out that never fails. Man made shit will always have some level of reliability issues QA/QC is an attempt to limit those issues. Beyond small batch items most companies hardly do 100% QA/QC on every part and component.

That's exactly the point of QC systems, like Six Sigma,...manufacturing quality into the product, not having to test the bad ones out. Off-spec parts down in the parts per million range.

JoeR

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom