• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    I just picked up a Savage Mark II FV-SR and was looking at the different scope options for the Weaver? (or Picatanny?) rail that came with it.

It will primarily be used for indoor target shooting at 25yd/75ft. I currently have a Baraska 3-9x32 scope on another rimfire rifle which is great for that distance, but I was hoping to move up to a 12x scope for 100yds.

I think I'm settled on the Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 scope with BDC and using larger targets like paper plates at 100yds. Now the question is what rings can I get for this scope? Unless of course you have suggestions for another 'budget' scope/ring combo that will work. My budget will be between $100-200 since 95% of the time, it will be used at an indoor range.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Within that price range, for your intended use, I would recommend a Mueller APT:

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Mueller_APT_4_5_14x40AO_Sunshade_w_Mil_Dot_Reticl_p/mt451440.htm

The mount is a picatinny mount.

I have the TPS rings on my scope (weaver tactical):
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/244847/tps-30mm-tsr-picatinny-style-aluminum-rings-matte-low

I would recommend those or the Burris Xtreme tacticals, in the proper height and diameter opening for your scope.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/116860/burris-1-xtreme-tactical-picatinny-style-rings-matte-low

Having mounted a handful of scopes, I wouldn't recommend anything much cheaper than the above two options.

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    So it sounds like I can get the 1in 'low' scope rings. I was worried that the back part of the scope (objective?) would not clear the barrel.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Pretty sure thats what I went with. 50mm Objective on my scope. Fits, with BC lens caps.

ETA: I check my old Midway orders: Product #: 244847 (30mm, Low)

0523021841_zps67a722a0.jpg

Attachments

• Savage MKII FV-SR.pdf
      339.2 KB · Views: 575

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    So it sounds like I can get the 1in 'low' scope rings. I was worried that the back part of the scope (objective?) would not clear the barrel.

depends on your scope objective. 32mm vs 40mm vs 50mm. With a 40mm and below, low rings should work fine.

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    Please don't laugh...too hard. This was the only optic I had around the house and I wanted to break the gun in. I'm still planning on getting the Nikon EFR. It's real tempting to go cheap again and get a UTG bipod, but I'm going to hold out for a Harris bipod.

19386_10101519487187348_598243310_n.jpg

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    DZ installed my scope and rings.

Savage MKII TRSR, Burris rings mentioned with a Mueller APT from JoeBob's.

It is a sweeeeeet shooter. Looks amazing to boot.

Get a bipod. And it is a hell of a rifle.

Within that price range, for your intended use, I would recommend a Mueller APT:

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Mueller_APT_4_5_14x40AO_Sunshade_w_Mil_Dot_Reticl_p/mt451440.htm

The mount is a picatinny mount.

I have the TPS rings on my scope (weaver tactical):
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/244847/tps-30mm-tsr-picatinny-style-aluminum-rings-matte-low

I would recommend those or the Burris Xtreme tacticals, in the proper height and diameter opening for your scope.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/116860/burris-1-xtreme-tactical-picatinny-style-rings-matte-low

Having mounted a handful of scopes, I wouldn't recommend anything much cheaper than the above two options.

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    Decided at the last minute to scrap the Nikon plan and go with the forum recommendations and order:

Burris 30mm Xtreme Tactical Low Rings 420160 - need to cancel my order for 1in version
    Mueller APT 4.5-14x40 AO + Sunshade
    Butler Creek Eye Flip Cap 20EYE
    Butler Creek Obj Flip Cap 34OBJ

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Decided at the last minute to scrap the Nikon plan and go with the forum recommendations and order:

Burris 30mm Xtreme Tactical Low Rings 420160 - need to cancel my order for 1in version

you wont be disappionted at all.... Don't forget to add a tshirt, they are free for $100 purchase and use the 5% discount coupon in the IP section of this forum.

n&n'sdad

Take'em!!
    Dec 20, 2010
    In the goose pit

I have the Nikon and love it.

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    I too went with the apt on my savage 22 although having previous experince with it on my 700/308 rifle, I know it will be good on the 22. Really like the scope and for the money it can't be beat. most other offerings in the same price range are 1" tubes so that is a addition. As long as you aren't looking for an illuminated crosshair or something like that.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    FV-SR with Boyds Tacticool stock & Silencerco Sparrow suppressor
    Mueller APT with Burris Extreme Low rings
    Caldwell bipod
    IMAG0149.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member