• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    I getting the itch to buy a Mark 12 Upper. Either from BCM or PRI in 18 inches. Not exactly interested in building it from scratch. Also I'm not sure if i want to go with the 1/7 or 1/8 twist. So school me on what you guys know and what to avoid and any suggestions on these rifles and whats the realistic accuracy of these firearms.

Gino z32

that car guy
    May 17, 2011
    Bennsville, MD
    MOD 0 or 1 (I'm assuming 0 since pri is an option)? I have a bcm mod 0 upper with the 1/8 and it absolutely loves magtech 77gr (mk262 spec). I've shot everything from xm855 to hornady 62gr to hornady 75gr, and the magtech mk262 was by far the most accurate. With only bipod deployed up front (no rear bag or anything other than natural shoulder/fist support) it's sub moa all day (if I do my part).

That being said,every barrel is different, so your mileage may vary...but 262 spec is always a good place to start for off the shelf, and the cbc/magtech always seems to be the closest and most consistent to the black hills stuff.

Either way, I absolutely love the gun. I opted for the natural look (stainless barrel and naked carbon fiber handguard). Partly because it was what was in stock when I ordered, and partly because I really do like the naked look. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on another one. Obviously if you're looking for a perfect clone correct build your best bet would be to piece one together, but for an off the shelf option, bcm is good to go. I even remember seeing an accuracy comparison somewhere between the bcm and a pri (with correct Douglass barrel etc), and the bcm edged the pri out in overall accuracy (very minimally, but notable).

tWUmNG1.jpg

Kor98gB.jpg

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Not going for complete accurate clone. I will primarily be shooting ammo 55-62 gr. The PRI is looking like a good deal and more included with the price compared to the BCM. Also. Your rifle is looking real sharp.

Gino z32

that car guy
    May 17, 2011
    Bennsville, MD
    Nice looking rifle. Is the upper rated as an HBAR? Also, what scope is on your rifle?

Q

That's a good question...since MD law is so ambiguous...(and I recently just moved back to the state)...by barrel profile, yes it's an hbar...by legal terms...I'm not sure. It is not expressly "marked" as an "hbar". Sure would be nice if the super rino Hogan would do away with the ******** "feel good" gun laws. Yet another reason I'm not super excited to be back in MD lol. Oh well, at least I built all my fun shit while I was in PA. As for the optic, it's a (horribly non-clone correct) Vortex viper Pst 6-24x50 (ffp). Amazing clarity and really solid optic.

Not going for complete accurate clone. I will primarily be shooting ammo 55-62 gr. The PRI is looking like a good deal and more included with the price compared to the BCM. Also. Your rifle is looking real sharp.

Thanks! I think I'm going to grab an a1 stock for it, so the only out of clone spec item left would be the optic (which will not be changing any time soon, if at all). If you're mostly shooting 55-62 you should be OK with either twist rate, but again the absolute sweet spot for the bcm (at least for mine) is the cbc/magtech 77gr (mk262 spec). I can't speak for the PRI or a 1:7, but I can only assume that a slower twist would favor the heavier rounds also...just do some googling, see what other guys suggest for the PRI and 18" 1:7

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I think you'd be best with 1/7 twist. Per the Mk12 purpose, delivery of 77gr freedom pills. Also stay with 2.5-10 power optic. The BCM is a nice simple choice.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    That's a good question...since MD law is so ambiguous...(and I recently just moved back to the state)...by barrel profile, yes it's an hbar...by legal terms...I'm not sure. It is not expressly "marked" as an "hbar". Sure would be nice if the super rino Hogan would do away with the ******** "feel good" gun laws. Yet another reason I'm not super excited to be back in MD lol. Oh well, at least I built all my fun shit while I was in PA. As for the optic, it's a (horribly non-clone correct) Vortex viper Pst 6-24x50 (ffp). Amazing clarity and really solid optic.

I know it's wikpedia, but here is the "official" specs that the MK12 Mod 0 uses.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_12_Special_Purpose_Rifle

It mentions the heavy barrel.

Q

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Admittedly small sample size, but correct Mk12's with a Douglass - don't really seem to 'wake up' until 200 yards and beyond. At 100, the accuracy seems to hover around a loose 1.5/2 MOA, with Mk 262 and handloads - 200 and beyond, they start to 'wake up' and tighten up some. May just be the ones I've had the chance to handle/shoot, but it's been consistent enough to make me wonder if it isn't just the nature of that beast.

Agree with the 6-24 being a bit much, it's the OP's money/choice - so feel free to disregard, but keeping it to 10x (fixed or variable) is more in line, IMO.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Both are good uppers. The BCM are usually a little less accurate in my experience.

Both can be improved with rebuilding the upper and making tweaks.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Agree with the 6-24 being a bit much, it's the OP's money/choice - so feel free to disregard, but keeping it to 10x (fixed or variable) is more in line, IMO.

Yeah... to each his own. I suppose some folks need more magnification than others, I've noticed my eyesight is going down hill a little in the past year. :-/

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Yeah... to each his own. I suppose some folks need more magnification than others, I've noticed my eyesight is going down hill a little in the past year. :-/

I'm noticing subtle changes as well, so I can't say much myself.

For me, the aesthetics of having a 6-24 on a Mk12 just doesn't sit right - but that's my own hang-up.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I would take a douglass barell any day over a bcmss410. Mine isnt a mk12 but it does sport a 18" 7 twist douglass and it is a consistent .5 moa gun with 75gr hornady.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    Centurion Arms and High Caliber Sales make true to spec Mk12 rifles and uppers. Also a lot of good info on their websites.

Gino z32

that car guy
    May 17, 2011
    Bennsville, MD

I know the scope is huge on there, I really would have preferred the clone correct leupy, but I got the pst for a ridiculous deal, and it is a very good optic. I think eventually I will move to a Leupold on the mk12 then that will give me an excuse to build something bolt action for long range to pit the pst on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom