• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I mentioned this in a range report, but shot this 7 year old build, but new, glock blue label 33 again today. Ran 100 rds of FMJ, no hitch. Loaded the mag with 9 speer gold dot JHPs and one chambered. As before with the speer gold dots, the chamber fires, the first in the mag fires and the second hangs up on the feed ramp. Please see the photo below. Next, another 10 rds of sig elite JHP. They ran fine and they were the 30 sig elite JHP i shot thru this. It’s getting expensive. Also 200 rds FMJ in total with no hitch.
    Would you return this? Send it back to glock under warranty? A magazine or a feed ramp, barrel fit issue? I would think a glock should feed all factory HP ( although i have G42 that is finicky).

Attachments

• 8D8D027D-7E93-4B01-A87D-639562F58C06.jpg
      8D8D027D-7E93-4B01-A87D-639562F58C06.jpg
      40.5 KB · Views: 376

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    Document the failures. I would shoot 200 rounds or so. Then I would send the documentation and pictures to Glock customer service and see what they do.

I would also try 20 Federal HST and 20 Gold Dots. I mix in FMJ but I make sure the first and last two are JHP.

If you wish to continue testing, then mark your mags and test each. My guess is thsa the gun has a problem and your mags are fine.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I have the same problem with a G19 that I really want to like but just can’t.

The Glock is supposed to be able to be buried in mud and all that and I can’t even get mine to run a few mags without a hiccup. People say, oh it’s because you’re using X ammo. Really? How come my 226 and M9 and USP eat every type of 9 mm on the shelf and the Glock is fickle like a cheap dirty gun?
    My G17 I’ve have for 20 years runs great; I’m not a Glock hater by any means. I’m just a frustrated G19 owner, especially when people absolutely loves their’s and trust their life with it.

OK I feel better now that that’s off my chest. Good luck with your gun OP.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Not limp wristing. Sure of that. And always the second rd in the mag. Did something similar when i s runng the thru the mags by cycling the slide. that was even with the sig elite which sent me to the range this am. I believe same problem with both mags but not sure. I have shot both. Bery frustrating for a new gun. Really like the cartridge.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    To diagnose....get other mags, from a friend who knows they are good mags, or pick up a couple new mags. Second, even though it hasn't been used much it may have a bad recoil spring......that would be my next guess.....throw in a new one and try that if the mag swap doesn't do it. My Glocks feed anything I give them, i doubt it's an ammo problem.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Simply because they don't feed in *your* pistol . Heck , I like Gold Dots generally.

But it is a very recent concept that every bottomfeeder is expected to function with every types of ammo . For 80% of the history of semiauto pistols it was expected for you to test them with various ammo , to determine which it "liked" .

If a stock pistol was reliable with two or more flavors of defensive grade ammo , you high five'd yourself .

It used to be a common thing to carry Uber Smackdown in the chamber, and lesser, but reliable ammo in magazine . ( Just ask my AMT back in the day , with Super Vel or Silvertip in chamber, and R-P jhp in mag .)

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    To diagnose....get other mags, from a friend who knows they are good mags, or pick up a couple new mags. Second, even though it hasn't been used much it may have a bad recoil spring......that would be my next guess.....throw in a new one and try that if the mag swap doesn't do it. My Glocks feed anything I give them, i doubt it's an ammo problem.
    Its under warranty, and i am running out of money. I probably have 8 mags for my G27 ( which or 20 years has been a totally reliable workhorse). Maybe i’ll try those.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Mine is on consignment at A1 but I’d gladly meet you there and let you borrow a mag if it’s retuned in a timely manner since it is at the shop for potential buyers

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If I understand you correctly, you had 1 round FTF? Could that round have been damaged BEFORE you put it in the mag, thus causing the FTF?

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    If I understand you correctly, you had 1 round FTF? Could that round have been damaged BEFORE you put it in the mag, thus causing the FTF?

No. I ran 20 rds, 2 mags and loaded chambers, of gold dots thru this on monday. And 100 rds of FMJ as well as 20 rds of sig elite JHP. The second rd of both mags of gold dots did what the photo shows. The 100 FMJs and the sig elites ran without a failure.

Today i loaded another 9 rd mag of gold dots and one chambered. On the second rd of the magazine, the photo above documented the result. I stopped and agreed with myself this gun has a problem, at least with gold dots.

Because it is a carry piece, i am concerned about the unreliability.

So 3 FTL, each from the same position in the mag and each with the same load. And the same problem.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    No. I ran 20 rds, 2 mags and loaded chambers, of gold dots thru this on monday. And 100 rds of FMJ as well as 20 rds of sig elite JHP. The second rd of both mags of gold dots did what the photo shows. The 100 FMJs and the sig elites ran without a failure.

Today i loaded another 9 rd mag of gold dots and one chambered. On the second rd of the magazine, the photo above documented the result. I stopped and agreed with myself this gun has a problem, at least with gold dots.

Because it is a carry piece, i am concerned about the unreliability.

So 3 FTL, each from the same position in the mag and each with the same load. And the same problem.

Are the Gold Dots hotter than the other ammo you're shooting?

I seem to remember somewhere that there's a story about either mags not seating properly or with a hotter round, the mag release is allowing the mag to drop just a little bit, causing failures like this.

Look at your mags and see if there are any marks around the catch. Look for scratches or burrs above the mag catch on the mag itself.

Good Luck!

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Mine is on consignment at A1 but I’d gladly meet you there and let you borrow a mag if it’s retuned in a timely manner since it is at the shop for potential buyers
    Thank you. That’s a very generous offer. I emailed customer service at glock this am and will see if/ how they respond. My concern is that unless i fire 200 sig v crowns ($200) without hitch, the experience with the speer gold dots has left me w/ shaken confidence.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    While not the same variety of worthwhile ammo as say , 9mm , there is still a decent selection. A inherent advantage of the .357Sig is the energy level is high enough to give good performance even with conventional " average" projectiles( similar to its inspiration, the .357Mag).

Directly competing with Gold Dots would be the W-W PDX , Golden Sabre, and XTP . For personal defense, not obsessing over shooting through windshields , the more conventional R-P green & white, Federal Personal Defense, and WWB are also worth a look.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    While not the same variety of worthwhile ammo as say , 9mm , there is still a decent selection. A inherent advantage of the .357Sig is the energy level is high enough to give good performance even with conventional " average" projectiles( similar to its inspiration, the .357Mag).

Directly competing with Gold Dots would be the W-W PDX , Golden Sabre, and XTP . For personal defense, not obsessing over shooting through windshields , the more conventional R-P green & white, Federal Personal Defense, and WWB are also worth a look.
    Almost bought a box of green and white RP but went with the sig v crowns at about same cost. The speer gold dots have about th same power as all. These are almost a lowered power level, not +Ps. Possibly the speers are a tad longer? I am satisfied with any JHP. Just want to know whatever is loaded will feed. Have an email into glock. I will call glock if i don’t hear back. They have been good with quick responses. The FMJ i shot 200 of are he same velocity as the speer and v crown. As an aside, i find this easier in the hand after 100 rds than my G 27 (.40).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom