• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Trapper on his way back to cabin shoots and kills charging grizzly, only to find out moments later that it had already killed his wife and 10 month old daughter. :sad20:

You know what they say about making your own luck. That's a line of work that makes you a particular kind of luck. Awful.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

Attachments

• tmp_7202-bears839128919.jpg
      tmp_7202-bears839128919.jpg
      21.9 KB · Views: 133

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    https://www.ammoland.com/2018/11/wy...o-round-in-chamber-magazine-pistol-separated/

A sad reality, but guns that are not ready to fire are useless for their intended role.

Another sad reality is that the article did not tell us that the guide was killed. It opened by saying:

Who: Mark Uptain, a hunting guide, and Corey Chubon, a bow hunter
    What: Were attacked by grizzly bears as they processed an elk carcass.
    When: Friday afternoon, the 14th of September
    Where: ???

The article's headline didn't tell us the guide was killed, only that the elk was.

They had nearly finished processing it when they were attacked by the grizzly bears. The attack started with a full out charge. Uptain was hit by the bear first, then Chubon, then the bear went back to Uptain. Chubon fled and survived, getting help.

The investigations have nearly finished, and some questions have been answered. It was known that Mark Uptain's Glock 20 10 mm semi-automatic pistol was with the hunters' packs. People have wondered why the pistol was in a pack, where it did little good for defense from bears. The Glock 20 was the only firearm at the scene of the attack.

It's amazing we know more about the elk than the guide. I don't much care for Glocks because their light triggers, and many people don't carry them for the same reason I wouldn't cock my S&W 659 and carry it that way. In that part of the country, my choice would be a .41 Magnum S&W revolver with a 4-inch barrel. Years ago, I was at an NRA convention in Philadelphia when talked to a guy who shot and killed an attacking grizzly with a .44 Magnum. He fired all six rounds, he said, and had no recollection of it. Didn't even have a ringing in the ears. He remembers the firing pin coming down on an empty case and thought the gun had misfired. Only later a friend showed him all the empty cases still in the cylinder, and he realized he had fired all six. He had no hearing protection on and again, he swears there was no ringing.

(I talked to another guy who told me about a guy who was threatening his family. Kept calling them at all hours. He'd stand out on the front sidewalk and he was arrested twice, then had a restraining order placed against him. One night he tried breaking in the back porch and this fellow chased him into the back yard. The guy then shot at him, hiding behind an old refrigerator (hey, it was the South!) The homeowner had two rounds of armor-piercing ammo which he placed in his .357 Magnum. He aimed at the refrig and popped the two rounds. The guy then fell over dead. Both rounds went through the refrigerator, the guy and kept on going into the woods. I heard more stories working for the NRA! I even shared a cab with Jeff Cooper and heard him tell me how great the .45 auto was! I wish I'd met Skeeter Skelton. Any of you guys remember him?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom