• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    All,

Looking putting together a rifle merit badge course in the Edgewater/ Annapolis area, and had a few questions for the members that may have done it before.

I have access to a range, and training room. I was planning on using 10/22s single loaded, but the book says semi auto is a no--no, but repeaters are ok single loaded (yes, my understanding of repeaters are bolt action magazine fed rifles). In the merit badge book, semi-autos are referred to as repeaters. Do I use this reference to use the 10/22s or use bolt actions?

Also, most of the rifles I have seen are iron sights, are optics allowed?

Any information from the knowledge base would be greatly appreciated.

Q

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Also in my opinion 10/22s would be difficult for Scouts to load single shot. I have seen bolt action repeaters used but the mag well has been taped off and no mags were provided.
    I have seen scopes used for demonstration purposes but scouts always used open sites. I've never seen anything but open sights used in Rifle MB at summer camp. The requirement calls for you to "adjust sights". If scopes were allowed I would think the requirement would state "adjust scope"??
    You will also need two NRA certified range officers, a RSO and an Instructor.

My troop shoots either rifle or shotgun every year during our March camping trip.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    For starters, unless you are a designated merit badge counselor, you won't be able to sign of on the blue cards.

Second, optics may not be expressly forbidden (it's been 25years since I got this merit badge) it is definitely not within the spirit of the badge. The idea is to teach young scouts how to alight an iron sight picture, control their breathing and squeeze. Think more Marines and less Army. (As in the rifle as an extension of self rather than a tool to point and squirt)

Finally, any repeater will work. Pump, bolt or lever.

Eagle Scout, Gold Palm

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Every summer camp I've been to (and I've done 20 week long summer camps total as a youth and a Scoutmaster) has used single shot .22s with open sights. I believe the Rifle Merit Badge requirements reflect that by stating the scout must "adjust sights".
    "l. Using a .22 caliber rimfire rifle and shooting from a bench rest or supported prone position at 50 feet, fire five groups (three shots per group) that can be covered by a quarter. Using these targets, explain how to adjust sights to zero.
    m. Adjust sights to center the group on the target* and fire five groups (five shots per group). According to the target used, each shot in the group must meet the following minimum score: (1) A-32 targets—9; (2) A-17 or TQ-1 targets—7; (3) A-36 targets—5." http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Rifle_Shooting

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Don,

Yes, registered, Shooting Sports Director in BAC, NRA Rifle Instructor, RSO, and other things. Thanks for the links.

Q

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Every summer camp I've been to (and I've done 20 week long summer camps total as a youth and a Scoutmaster) has used single shot .22s with open sights. I believe the Rifle Merit Badge requirements reflect that by stating the scout must "adjust sights".
    "l. Using a .22 caliber rimfire rifle and shooting from a bench rest or supported prone position at 50 feet, fire five groups (three shots per group) that can be covered by a quarter. Using these targets, explain how to adjust sights to zero.
    m. Adjust sights to center the group on the target* and fire five groups (five shots per group). According to the target used, each shot in the group must meet the following minimum score: (1) A-32 targets—9; (2) A-17 or TQ-1 targets—7; (3) A-36 targets—5." http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Rifle_Shooting

Don,

They could also do it with the scope, granted it would be easier with the scope. I am planning on getting a couple of Savage bolt actions in addition to an existing RPR wit a scope.

I am planning on one day class, and one day range. This is to help with scheduling for the scouts.

Q

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    You're the Shooting Sports Director for Baltimore Area Council?

One of them, Shooting Sports Directors are authorized for their Council. I am working Camp Tomahawk, but can work within BAC. I have tried to talk with Council about a list of Directors, but have gotten crickets. I would like to expand Shooting Sports, but it looks like they are more focused on zhooting events for donors.

Q

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I don't know about the current edition of the merit badge book, but older editions said they must be bolt action. Rifles must meet all the criteria to be used for the merit badge. Being bolt action and being used as a single shot are separate criteria.

Optics are not prohibited. GSR used to used to have rimfire scopes on their single shot Marlins. They got rid of those when they switched to the Savage Mk. II target rifles with Williams aperture sights. Someone donated optics recently, but they have not yet been attached.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Some of the camps can rent/supply rifles and ammo. Broadcreek, Rodney and Henson come to mind. We always bring our own rifles. There are also NRA grants that are available for the troops/councils.
    Camp Rodney has one of the nicest range facilities I have seen. We went through close to 4k rounds for about 50 kids last month in one day. We shoot 3 to 4 trips a year and in summer camp if available.
    I would not use a 10/22's as some of the camp rangers will frown upon that. If you do use the facility rifles, bring a cleaning kit (Gun Scrubber or other blaster) and oil. You will need it.
    If you do bring your own, be advised that different camps will have very strict rules on storage and transport while on site.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    With all the negative out there, I would like to get the scouts who cannot go to camp, or cannot fit it in, a chance to get the merit badge. It also gives us a chance to help another generation to appreciate firearms. We need a new generation of firearm enthusiasts or we lose the right. The left is banking on it.

Q

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Mine too. I’m surprised there’s still a merit badge for anything about shootin.

BSA offers;
    Rifle Shooting Merit Badge, a scout can use BB, .22 or muzzleloader.
    Shotgun Shooting Merit Badge, a scout can use regular or muzzleloader shotguns.
    and Archery for shooting sports.

Also Venture Scouts (14-21) can shoot pistols. Pistols shooting is done at High Adventure Camps such as Philmont Scout Ranch.

Some troops, like mine, shoot every year in addition to summer camp. My guys will shoot at Rodney Scout Camp next weekend and again in March at Camp Ware in Chester County, PA. Our venture crew will do a muzzleloader shoot later this year.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    We did the muzzleloading in training. It was fun, until one of our guys forgot to put powder before ramming the ball. CO2 didn't work, and the screw wasn't biting. After it bit, took 3 guys on each side to get the ball out. It was hilarious.

Q

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    We shot at Rodney last month. Really nice. It is on our yearly list.
    We did Ware in 2016. The high for the day was 16. That was not fun.

We are looking at starting a Venturing crew up again since none of the seniors get to shoot since they are busy with camp activities/stations.
    Wasn't the BSA looking into a pistol badge. I know one troop in the area that got a few pistols granted from the NRA, but haven't used them. I thought I heard the badge was being piloted in other states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom