How much does your home defense AR weigh?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    A little over 8 lbs, switching out the UBR stock to a minimalist though (should this thing be balanced?), too many things to do lately.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    My 10.5" pistol is about 8.5 pounds. I would only grab the AR if they were breaking down the door and if it comes to that, I should probably grab the chest rig, too!

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    7.2 lbs as pictured w/ a mag full of 110 vmax. For home defense, weight isn't as big a deal as things like reliability, maneuverability, wml, sight picture/situational awareness, and reliability. My setup gives me the extra benefit of being able to use it one handed....to open doors and things...

The compactness to me is waaaaay more useful than the weight savings. Being able to move basically as effortlessly as with my m&p45 throughout my house just can't be beat with a longer, but light, carbine.

Attachments

• blacked out digits.jpg
      blacked out digits.jpg
      31.2 KB · Views: 486

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Oh...bout fiddeen pounds, give or take. :party29:

OK, no more messin around...9lbs

Attachments

• 556sbr.jpg
      556sbr.jpg
      62.8 KB · Views: 466
    • 9mm.jpg
      9mm.jpg
      74.9 KB · Views: 459

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    These are the two M4s I have designated for home defense if necessary...

Colt Law Enforcement Carbine w/Burris Speed Dot 135 sight...8.1 pounds empty...
    LE-Carbine.jpg

Olympic Arms M4 in .45 ACP...7.5 pounds empty...
    Oly-Arms-45.jpg

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    She ain't heavy, she's my carbine.

If you are concerned about the weight of an AR, you have never carried an M1 Garand. : )

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    You know I have always resisted an AR pistol as being something that is weird looking for a non-existent purpose. But I am now convinced it might be a substitute for an SBR for HD after all. Most of the advantages with none of the cost. I have a 10.5" barrel waiting for a purpose that was going towards an SBR, YHM flash hider suppressor compatible. So I guess I need a dedicated pistol registered lower and a brace for the buffer tube, huh. Or is there a less costly way to do it. in WV of course.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    She ain't heavy, she's my carbine.

If you are concerned about the weight of an AR, you have never carried an M1 Garand. : )
    Some of the AR weights posted above are in the range of an M1 with a light stock. Throw a couple extra en blocs on the sling and you are ready.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    You know I have always resisted an AR pistol as being something that is weird looking for a non-existent purpose. But I am now convinced it might be a substitute for an SBR for HD after all. Most of the advantages with none of the cost. I have a 10.5" barrel waiting for a purpose that was going towards an SBR, YHM flash hider suppressor compatible. So I guess I need a dedicated pistol registered lower and a brace for the buffer tube, huh. Or is there a less costly way to do it. in WV of course.

To add, not offering a solution or formula.
    I had a fresh lower and built a pistol AR on it. 10.5” barrel, A2 flash hider, Sig pistol brace, single stage trigger, red dot. I shot it once at the range and have tried dry fire, presentations and movements with it. I even rotated the brace about 30 degrees counter clockwise and used the strap with my arm to the outside of the brace. I see no advantage to it. As a pistol, the first impression is it is unwieldy and cumbersome. Use the brace against your shoulder and its like an SBR. So for now I stick with conventional semi auto and revolver handguns for HD. If ever saw need for a long gun I would chose the shotgun then the carbine for the same roles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom