• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Short version is, its uncomfortable while sitting. It's tollerable but i wonder if there's something i can do that'll make it more comfertable.

i'm 6'5" 260lbs and have a dunlop (belly done lops over the belt). it's not massive but it's enough that when sitting, it pushes the grip forward and the muzzle into pelvic bone. xdm 3.8". If i loosen up my pants it's less uncomfortable but i still dont want to use it as primary position unless it's more comfertable.

anyone have some thoughts.. other than loosing the dunlop? maybe putting a wedge/pad on the holster muzzle?

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    I carry the same gun and am I fellow fat guy I carry my xdm in a crossbreed super tuck at about 330. Never need to ever re-situate it unless i have to sit a very narrow chair.

YMMV

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Wrong thread for this topic, however.......... Carry OWB or IWB and learn how to dress around it. Guns are hard metal objects. We are soft and squishy. We can contort around the metal object, it cannot deform to conform to us. Efficiency of physics is not a strong suit of metal and hard Kydex.
    AIWB is the "Cool thing". The "cool thing" is comfortable carry, and not what Costa and Healey are doing this week.
    It's your shooting game, not theirs.

Gatman

Adequate Member
    May 24, 2013
    Calvert
    I carry AIWB with my G43 and M&P Shield 45. I have to wear my pants a little higher to keep sitting comfortable. I'd prefer to carry IWB at 3:00 ish, but I'm too skinny and bony. It hurts my hip bone. I have a G19, but i just can't wear it IWB comfortably anywhere.

Wear what's comfortable for you, then train to the position. I found that wearing something uncomfortable, no matter if it's the holster or firearm, = taking it off the belt more frequently, or not wearing it at all (it was the first gen XD subcompact for me).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The whole debate about carry with the muzzle pointing a femoral artery and/ or family jewels is inherently unwise .

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    The whole debate about carry with the muzzle pointing a femoral artery and/ or family jewels is inherently unwise .

Ah.

I didn't know it was a controversy. I see it more as a spectrum of risk. Pick where you feel safe and live accordingly.

I've carried a p938 (micro 1911, sort of) that way many times. Cocked and locked, with a kydex holster that goes up high enough to cover the safety as well as the trigger. A whole lot would have to go wrong before something bad happened. More recently, also with a decocked sa/da.... which I feel even more warm and fuzzy about. If a decocked sa/da in a hard holster spontaneously discharges into my artery, the universe must just want me dead.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    OP, you said the muzzle is pushing into your pelvic bone, I don't see how that would happen. Assuming you're right handed, is the handgun at 1-2 o'clock, or more of a cross draw position at 10-11 o'clock?

Either way I would think the muzzle would be hitting at the top of your inner thigh, not pelvic bone. Unless its in a cross draw position with a large amount of negative cant, pushing the muzzle out to your side?

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    OP, you said the muzzle is pushing into your pelvic bone, I don't see how that would happen. Assuming you're right handed, is the handgun at 1-2 o'clock, or more of a cross draw position at 10-11 o'clock?

Either way I would think the muzzle would be hitting at the top of your inner thigh, not pelvic bone. Unless its in a cross draw position with a large amount of negative cant, pushing the muzzle out to your side?

I'm right handed, non cross-draw position. It's.. 12:30 - 1. I haven't pushed it over to the side more.. maybe that's a contributing factor.

posture, pants position and tension.. make a big difference. not sure i'll stick with it but i want to give it a fair chance/test.

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    Short version is, its uncomfortable while sitting. It's tollerable but i wonder if there's something i can do that'll make it more comfertable.

i'm 6'5" 260lbs and have a dunlop (belly done lops over the belt). it's not massive but it's enough that when sitting, it pushes the grip forward and the muzzle into pelvic bone. xdm 3.8". If i loosen up my pants it's less uncomfortable but i still dont want to use it as primary position unless it's more comfertable.

anyone have some thoughts.. other than loosing the dunlop? maybe putting a wedge/pad on the holster muzzle?

1) Get a strong belt to keep it high and in place. Steel cored leather or Larue Tactical Ares.
    2) Holster selection is critical. Attributes to include are: minimal material under barrel and around trigger guard, several vertical adustment holes, two sets of hols so you can get 5-10 degrees of cant either way, wedge, magazine release protection, adjustable tension, pull the dot loops, sweat shield, wing or claw.
    3) Slightly loose pants

The bad news is your weight likely precludes you from appendix carry. It will likely never work unless you lose most of it. Your XD’s slide is short, so the belly is the problem. You likely have trouble with strongside IWB too.

JM Custom Kydex sells wedges and velcro so pick up a small wedge kit from them to try. Move the wedge up and down; I find 1/2” from the muzzle seems to work best for me with most guns.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013

it is not a controversy. It has some added risk. Risk of a ND/AD is low, but a daily risk over three decades is ten thousands times the single data point risk: If the risk of something is one in a million per time you do it, this becomes a one in one hundred risk over three decades.

And in risk management, mitigation of consequence is a core element. Wearing seatbelt does not reduce your risk of a self caused, external caused or combination accident occurrence. But wearing it significantly reduces average consequence. The consequence of a bullet traversing the outer leg, grazing the thigh or buttocks or hitting nothing at all, is profoundly less than if it hit your femoral or reproductive kit.

I don't criticize AIWB carriers generally, the ones I talk to at my range seem no less competent, mindful or careful than others. There are also good reasons to do it if it is more comfortable, gives faster access (in some scenarios). I would have to however take issue with anyone claiming their is no added risk, since this is demonstrably not rational. The risk of of me tripping while walking near the edge of the subway platform as a train comes in may not be any more than on my front walk, but the risk to me of harm is much higher.

I am glad people have the option. AIWB is optimal right for some people. We just ought not deny that there is some additional risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom