• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike j

Feb 14, 2018
    Annapolis MD
    Im thinking of building or buying a 450 upper for hunting whitetail. I hunt a midwest state that has been shotgun only until last year, now its legal for straight wall centerfire calibers. Would the standard buffer and spring be ok and just swap upper, if you have one what brand do you like, and would love to hear if any has used one for hunting how the performance is

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    I would assume so. The 458 socom I worked on has standard buffer and spring. You could always use an adjustable gas block to fine tune it too

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I have one sitting around if you want it, 2 rounds fired thru it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    What do you have?

16" .450 Bushmaster, built it about 4 months ago. Fired 2 rounds, and my firearms ADHD kicked in - so it's either going to be sold, or parted out.

Billet upper from JSE
    Bolt head (9310 steel) from Satern
    Barrel and handguard, nothing special
    Carbine length gas system
    Tear-drop forward assist
    Strike Ind. dust cover - one of the few ones that'll work with that large of an ejection port.
    8620 steel carrier, gas keys torqued correctly and then staked

Thought I still had a pic on the computer, but I can take another if you're interested.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    And it's no longer in inventory. Sold to a former member.

(I can say I got to put 10 rounds thru it now. Last 8 via a bumpstock, it was 'interesting'.)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I built my .450 for less than that (or extremely close to it, don't recall final build tally).

Honestly, if you're dead-set on the Beowulf - .450 does a good imitation, but it doesn't quite scratch the itch that my 16.5" .50Beo did. If I can find the interest to build another upper out, I'll either do another 16.5" or possibly a 12" .50Beo to fill that empty spot in the safe.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I built my .450 for less than that (or extremely close to it, don't recall final build tally).

Honestly, if you're dead-set on the Beowulf - .450 does a good imitation, but it doesn't quite scratch the itch that my 16.5" .50Beo did. If I can find the interest to build another upper out, I'll either do another 16.5" or possibly a 12" .50Beo to fill that empty spot in the safe.

Im going back and forth haven't had much shooting time and still have my T91 clone and Grendel to assemble.

Joebob does have this one a little cheaper and is a good IP

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Am...-450-Bushmaster-16-Comple-p/ati-15ms450bm.htm

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    No experience with that brand, but the specs (aside from rail and brake) were pretty close to matching what I'd done.

One thing I do notice, dust cover/ejection port door - most of the bigger bores require hogging out the ejection port to clear the spent casings, so they omit the dust cover. Seeing one pictured, makes me wonder if they did/didn't enlarge the ejection port.

*I used a billet upper from JSE that was enlarged, and found that the Strike Industries Ult. dust cover would work perfectly on an enlarged ejection port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom