• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WIMN

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 10, 2016
    Like it or not, we're back here again talking about gun control.

The typical response is that gun control is not the answer. That's true: the solution to the problem of violence (not gun violence, but simply violence) is far more complicated than gun control believers would ever be willing to countenance. That being said, I think it is hard to deny that sometimes there are people who end up with guns when they really shouldn't have any. It's just hard to tell who those people will be.

Therefore, in the interest of not appearing to be obstructionist jerks, and reconciling half of the population with the other half, what would we be willing to concede, legislatively?

You can say nothing, sure. But I don't think that's reasonable. I think there are things that can be done without compromising what we value.

Here's an example I "invented" myself (no idea whether it's been suggested before). We all know the "gun show loophole." Before you say it, I know: it's not a loophole and it's not about gun shows. But we know what they're talking about: Private transfers, minus a background check.

IMO, background checks are good. The more, the better. Therefore, I propose that a simple solution is to allow private, non-FFL citizens to run background checks. Open up NICS so that a private sale can be completed WITH a background check, and without having to create the registry we all dread in order to enforce it.

Some particulars: The background check would still not be "mandatory" for a private sale. However, it would serve as a form of indemnity should the firearm sold end up being used for unsavory purposes. You would therefore either run the background check or risk some degree of responsibility for not having done so. I don't love that idea, mind you, but this is, in my opinion, the only "universal background check" compromise with legs.

To protect privacy, if that is a concern, the transaction could perhaps involve the buyer running the background check themselves (thus not requiring that private information/PII be surrendered) and presenting documentation to the seller. There would need to be some form of protection to prevent anyone from just randomly running background checks on anyone else (maybe require an SSN or something).

This, in my opinion, can solve the issue. We don't surrender anything in terms of rights, we get the universal background checks that (I think?) we all want, and there's no registry to worry about later.

So, what are your thoughts? Critique my idea, tell me whether it's an acceptable compromise, or point out the flaws.

I worry that our "not one step further" position is simply leading to catastrophe, in the form of outright bans. There are reasonable steps that can be taken without compromising things we care about. Feel free to suggest any other ideas.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    We don't have to worry about choosing what to "concede." They just take whatever they can, starting with the scraps they missed last go round.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Oh not another one.

a960a0ac740d9b1e1a6250ec130b3ea4a7c0f2a79de6a058feb55eeaded97408.jpg

WIMN

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 10, 2016
    We don't have to worry about choosing what to "concede." They just take whatever they can, starting with the scraps they missed last go round.

That's true, perhaps, in this state. But nationally, not as much.

Even so, in MD this is something we could consider suggesting ourselves to forestall a worse "solution."

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No , if done Right this could be a good thing.

Right means a Background Check ONLY . That means only a thumbs up or thumbs down if the buyer is Prohibited. No information given on what items may or may not have changed hands .

Anything else isn't a Background Check , but instead is Universal Registration .

WIMN

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 10, 2016
    Oh, to answer the original question about universal bgc.

Not only no, but hell no.

bth_dImyJ.gif

Okay, so that's interesting. What's your reasoning?

No , if done Right this could be a good thing.

Right means a Background Check ONLY . That means only a thumbs up or thumbs down if the buyer is Prohibited. No information given on what items may or may not have changed hands .

Anything else isn't a Background Check , but instead is Universal Registration .

Agreed. This would have to be the extent of the check.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    The problem with people nowadays is they want to preemptively fix everything. The world, and humans in general, are chaos. Sometimes sh1t happens and you deal with it afterwards. Every bad thing cannot be prevented and sorry to say but NO, one person's life is not worth infringing, hassling, disrupting everyone else.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Okay, so that's interesting. What's your reasoning?

I don't need a reason, but if you insist, see below:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WIMN

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 10, 2016
    The problem with people nowadays is they want to preemptively fix everything. The world, and humans in general, are chaos. Sometimes sh1t happens and you deal with it afterwards. Every bad thing cannot be prevented and sorry to say but NO, one person's life is not worth infringing, hassling, disrupting everyone else.

Okay, so would you say no background checks at all then? Useless gesture?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom