• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    A couple thoughts: I've dressed deer both ways and I prefer to start at the anus and work my way to the chest. That's just me. Taking care of the but-hole first allows me to do that without worrying about the mess at the other end. Once I cut the skin around it, I then run my knife all around it, inside the pelvis.

When dressing a gut-shot deer(and eventually every hunter will), GO SLOW. I have done my share and in 99% of the cases, I dare you to tell me it was gut-shot.

As for washing out the carcass. If you want to wash out a carcass, do it with dry rags. I would not recommend using water unless you are in the butchering phase meaning, the wet meat is about to go into the freezer. Getting any carcass wet and then letting is sit or hang for any time, you run the risk of promoting bacterial growth, especially in a gut-shot deer. :)
    I agree on all points :thumbsup:

.....and a quick note in regards to slicing them open. Do NOT cut into the ribcage if you shoot a good deer that you want a shoulder mount done on. Stop your incision before you hit the sternum so as not to cut into the portion of the deer that the taxidermist woin't want cut up. I cut all my deer that way now, it's not necessary to slice up through the rib cage, just reach in, separate the windpipe and remove the heart/lungs.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The one exception to this is cleaning the meat prior to hanging it, if you have the capability to hang it without the hide.

I’ll put my flame suit on because I’ve heard it before, but this is advice from father who has been a butcher for 45 years.

Once the deer has been skinned and quartered (quartered if desired), hose it off and then spray it down with a bleach / water mix to kill any surface bacteria. Basically, one cap of standard bleach to a spray bottle of water, then let it hang for up to 2 weeks ( I hang them for a week max)

That makes a lot of sense. Most people do not know about aging meat by hanging it.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    The one exception to this is cleaning the meat prior to hanging it, if you have the capability to hang it without the hide.

I’ll put my flame suit on because I’ve heard it before, but this is advice from father who has been a butcher for 45 years.

Once the deer has been skinned and quartered (quartered if desired), hose it off and then spray it down with a bleach / water mix to kill any surface bacteria. Basically, one cap of standard bleach to a spray bottle of water, then let it hang for up to 2 weeks ( I hang them for a week max)
    Most commercial processors won't let you hang your deer skinned out... they don't want hair all over the meat and this happens when hung in a cold box full of deer with hides on.

I agree, if you are cutting it yoursellf, in many cases, especially warm weather, removing the hide is beneficial, but if you use a meat cutter to process your deer, be sure to check with them. Most don't want 'skinned' deer to be brought in. ;)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Most commercial processors won't let you hang your deer skinned out... they don't want hair all over the meat and this happens when hung in a cold box full of deer with hides on.

I agree, if you are cutting it yoursellf, in many cases, especially warm weather, removing the hide is beneficial, but if you use a meat cutter to process your deer, be sure to check with them. Most don't want 'skinned' deer to be brought in. ;)

This. I love you guys who have the place and time to butcher your own. Most of us have to take them to processors. :)

I am sure I'll change how I do things again at some point, but Outrider taught me an important lesson. Use a folding knife for field dressing. You WILL get it not only bloody, but smeared with fat and connective tissue. I carry my deer tags and disposable gloves in a small ziplock bag and always have (I use clear luggage tags to tuck a field and butcher tag to keep them dry and from getting crumpled). Welp, a fixed blade knife if you stick it back in the sheath is going to make a damn mess.

A folding knife when you are done, you can fold up and drop in to that (or another) zip lock bag. Mess contained. Then just clean it up in the sink with hot water and soap when you get home. A little bleach and water if you want to make it actually sanitary after you've gotten it ungunked.

I've tried both methods of cracking the pelvis and clean out the anus as well as cutting around it up the pelvic floor. I think I am going to try a butt out next. The reviews are near 5 stars with hundreds and hundreds of reviews. Just slap a couple of zip ties on the large intestine, cut between, butt out in, twist and pull and done. In theory.

One more thing to carry, but it is small and light.

Partly because I found a folding knife that is awesome, but too big to really cut around the pelvic floor easily and I don't really want to dull the blade by hacking through bone. It has a gut hook on it, which makes it too wide to cut easily around the anus, but it is sharp as hell, great blade angle (sheep's foot) and the gut hook is nice.

For the esophagus, I just reach my arm up in there to cut it instead of cutting through the ribs. Sometimes I'll cut the first pair if I can't quite manage it.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Outrider and sticky got it right. Been doing it that way since 1981. Only thing I'll add that I do is, I cut the tenderloin out right after field dressing. Best part of the deer and if you leave them in they will dry out on the outside.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Outrider and sticky got it right. Been doing it that way since 1981. Only thing I'll add that I do is, I cut the tenderloin out right after field dressing. Best part of the deer and if you leave them in they will dry out on the outside.
    Agreed! Take that home for dinner tonight!! mmmmmmm!!!!

To address Lazurus' post about the knife. I agree that a folding knife is easier to deal with after the fact, but for many, many years I have carried a fixed blade sheath knife. It has dressed a ton of deer and other game and it is still my go to knife. It is on my belt anytime I am hunting... anything. lol

It has a rubberized grip with finger grooves, so it is easy to maintain a hold on, even when wet, bloody and slimy. When I'm done, I just rinse it off and wipe it off with my hanky, as I will usually not wear gloves to field dress game and have to wash my hands and forearms off anyway. I always have a water bottle (just for that reason) and a hanky to finish the cleanup and at least wipe the worst of the crud off my knife before I reholster it. The blade is about 5" long and fairly narrow in profile, making it ideal for getting in and 'ringing' the anus. I never cut bone, period.... for a few different reasons. I give it a good hot bath with soap and water once I get back home and it's ready for another round.

I also carry a spare pair of field dressing knives in my daypack. One is basically a duplicate of the one I carry on my belt, the other is one of those nice wide bladed skinning knives with a gut hook (they came as a set in a single sheath). I don't think I have ever used that unless I am actually skinning and caping a deer, which is rare for me. It is too unwieldy to get in and ring around the posey and one must be careful when doing that to not puncture or pierce the bladders. A small blade profile helps there. ;)

Sure, my leather sheath looks a little old and well used, but it still holds my knife and goes with me on every hunting trip.. that sucker has been around! :lol2::lol2:

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Partly because I found a folding knife that is awesome, but too big to really cut around the pelvic floor easily and I don't really want to dull the blade by hacking through bone.

I use a small pelvic bone saw.It has a rounded tip which will not puncture the bladder or intestines.Zip zip zip....done

In older deer(if you arent going to get it mounted)the saw can be used for the sternum.In younger deer, I just use a knife.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I agree on all points

.....and a quick note in regards to slicing them open. Do NOT cut into the ribcage if you shoot a good deer that you want a shoulder mount done on. Stop your incision before you hit the sternum so as not to cut into the portion of the deer that the taxidermist woin't want cut up. I cut all my deer that way now, it's not necessary to slice up through the rib cage, just reach in, separate the windpipe and remove the heart/lungs.
    I use the Y incision for trophy deer. Start at the sternum and cut the hide to the back of the armpit of each front leg. Then I separate the brisket flap of hide a bit and then I can open the ribs. I don't go all the way up the ribcage though. Just far enough to get my hands in to sever the wind pipe and attached vitals.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Yes. The bleach part is vital if you are going this route.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    This. I love you guys who have the place and time to butcher your own. Most of us have to take them to processors. :)

I am sure I'll change how I do things again at some point, but Outrider taught me an important lesson. Use a folding knife for field dressing. You WILL get it not only bloody, but smeared with fat and connective tissue. I carry my deer tags and disposable gloves in a small ziplock bag and always have (I use clear luggage tags to tuck a field and butcher tag to keep them dry and from getting crumpled). Welp, a fixed blade knife if you stick it back in the sheath is going to make a damn mess.

A folding knife when you are done, you can fold up and drop in to that (or another) zip lock bag. Mess contained. Then just clean it up in the sink with hot water and soap when you get home. A little bleach and water if you want to make it actually sanitary after you've gotten it ungunked.

I've tried both methods of cracking the pelvis and clean out the anus as well as cutting around it up the pelvic floor. I think I am going to try a butt out next. The reviews are near 5 stars with hundreds and hundreds of reviews. Just slap a couple of zip ties on the large intestine, cut between, butt out in, twist and pull and done. In theory.

One more thing to carry, but it is small and light.

Partly because I found a folding knife that is awesome, but too big to really cut around the pelvic floor easily and I don't really want to dull the blade by hacking through bone. It has a gut hook on it, which makes it too wide to cut easily around the anus, but it is sharp as hell, great blade angle (sheep's foot) and the gut hook is nice.

For the esophagus, I just reach my arm up in there to cut it instead of cutting through the ribs. Sometimes I'll cut the first pair if I can't quite manage it.

Thin filet knife will work on the rear end, but that is just one more thing you would have to carry. Over the years, I was lucky enough to hunt private property, so I could pretty much drive a truck or ATV up to where the deer was. I did not worry much about carrying anything to my stand other than clothing, call, and weapon.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    I use a small pelvic bone saw.It has a rounded tip which will not puncture the bladder or intestines.Zip zip zip....done

In older deer(if you arent going to get it mounted)the saw can be used for the sternum.In younger deer, I just use a knife.

I've always split the pelvic bone with saw. I've also been using one of these to cut around anal cavity.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
      image.jpeg
      29 KB · Views: 219

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Thin filet knife will work on the rear end, but that is just one more thing you would have to carry. Over the years, I was lucky enough to hunt private property, so I could pretty much drive a truck or ATV up to where the deer was. I did not worry much about carrying anything to my stand other than clothing, call, and weapon.
    This is all I have ever needed to clean small game, birds, deer, speedgoats and elk...

(yes, that piece of red paracord is a little worse for the wear, but it helps me find my knife when I set it down on the ground... guess it's about time for a new piece.. lol If I set my knife down on the bed and the dog is around, he likes to chew on the blood soaked knot!)

Attachments

• IMG_0683.jpg
      IMG_0683.jpg
      92.9 KB · Views: 210

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    This is all I have ever needed to clean small game, birds, deer, speedgoats and elk...

(yes, that piece of red paracord is a little worse for the wear, but it helps me find my knife when I set it down on the ground... guess it's about time for a new piece.. lol If I set my knife down on the bed and the dog is around, he likes to chew on the blood soaked knot!)

I don't doubt it. An old man I hunted with, God rest his soul, had a knife so damn old and worn it was insane. However, he could field dress and butcher deer like nobody I have ever seen. He could not shoot worth poo, but he could process deer a plenty. One knife, that was it. Don't think he really cared about the pelvic region of the deer until it was time to start processing it.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Gutless

I have done a couple using the gutless method lately, mostly as practice for remote Alaska hunts. It just lets me practice breaking down an animal by quarters, backstraps, neck, brisket, etc.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I have done a couple using the gutless method lately, mostly as practice for remote Alaska hunts. It just lets me practice breaking down an animal by quarters, backstraps, neck, brisket, etc.

That's all I do anymore .....gutless

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't doubt it. An old man I hunted with, God rest his soul, had a knife so damn old and worn it was insane. However, he could field dress and butcher deer like nobody I have ever seen. He could not shoot worth poo, but he could process deer a plenty. One knife, that was it. Don't think he really cared about the pelvic region of the deer until it was time to start processing it.

I do all my field work with my trusty Buck 110. Rib cage and all.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Plus one on the Buck 110. Tried a dozen others over the last 37 years, keep going back to the Buck. The right mix of length and blade style, the clip point works best for me inside the chest cavity. I have an Outdoor Edge SwingBlaze that I love for the gut-hook side blade. The main blade is a drop point blade which IMO is too round for precision cutting and even for the initial cut into the cavity, difficult to use inside. I usually pull out the Buck at this point.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

I've had one since the early 80's. They are a great blade, but I gotta tell ya, they are a bugger to sharpen. That steel takes forever to get sharp again.

I love mine.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've had one since the early 80's. They are a great blade, but I gotta tell ya, they are a bugger to sharpen. That steel takes forever to get sharp again.

I love mine.

First thing I do when I buy a new knife, especially Bucks, I rehone the edge to a more acute angle. Then I sharpen and polish that edge. After that, all that is ever required is a crock stick to take the 'roll' off the edge. I do this(crock sticks) after every deer. You can shave with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom