• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    And late rifle season, best to take care of yourself
    True. Never seen so many adults leave bathrooms without washing as I did down there. That includes ones deploying the seal team, not just taking a piss.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    my redneck euro Christmas mod.

Attachments

• 1203171818a.jpg
      1203171818a.jpg
      67.5 KB · Views: 168

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I haven't been in the woods this year, but do you think the warm weather late into fall could have caused them issues? I know it's crazy, but I also have a cherry tree in my back yard full of flowering buds. Yep, all of the leaves dropped off of the tree about a month or so ago, and just this week, I look out and see a tree with flowers and the rest of the tree is full of buds. Now today, the tree is full of flowering buds.

If the trees are this screwed up, could this be putting the deer off too?

I don't know, but I'd stop drinking the water...

Debating sitting out there this afternoon. Just got back from Disney last night where I got a nasty virus (along with the wife) complete with fever, chills, vomiting.

That sucks. I'm going through the same thing. I didn't have to go to Disney to catch it though, so I guess I'm coming out ahead, lol. Like everyone else said, keep your powder dry for ML and late gun and bow. Plenty still to look forward to. No point getting sicker over a deer.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The snow's not letting up, but I'm still heading out.

The snowfall seems light enough that Bambi may venture out.

Last day of shotgun season. Good luck to all.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    The deer are up and moving now. I just saw 6 nice does and 2 young ones browsing not 50 yds out. BUT I'm sitting in a dump tk not a treestand :sad20: :sad20: :sad20:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Had a sit till 10:30 before my back and feet gave out and I had to get up and walk around. I think a fox messed it up. He came in around 7:15 and plopped down waiting for a squirrel. After an hour I went “screw it, I got my fur bearer tag”. I forgot my rifle is zeroed for 200yds and is 2 inches high at 100. The Fox was 90-100yds away so aiming square between its eyes means it got a hair cut and ran off.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I moved to the next ravine over after waking for about an hour scouting around. Much shallow slope, much more open woods. I bumped a deer out of there right after I started walking. The hill sides flatten out and meet at about a half acre field and I was at the edge of that texting on my phone standing in place for a couple of minutes when it hopped up about 100yds away and took off down the ravine.

Went back up the hill on the one side of the ravine towards my car and I was going to start it up, get the heat going and warm up for half an hour. I detoured along the hillside instead and found the woods really open on both sides of the ravine, so I plunked down, scrapped a nice rest out of the ground with my boots, stuck my pack under my head and alternated dozing and sitting up with rapt attention as well as trying to keep my toes warm (lesson learned, 400 thinuslate with two sets of winter socks is NOT warm enough when it is barely above freezing to sit for 6 hours). The 30 degree slope made it all possible.

About 20 minutes before sunset the clouds cleared off and the sun lit up the tree tops.

A little button buck walked down off the hillside across from me straight towards me. I was really expecting something to come up the ravine and not straight across from it. He didn’t present a very good shot and when he hit the bottom and wasn’t turning to follow it, was about to head straight up, but he gave me a 3/4 towards profile. I should have aimed right another couple of inches to get both lungs, but smashed his right from shoulder/leg intersection and one lung. He limped about 25 yds before he tipped over on the hillside and couldn’t get up. I had to put a 2nd round in him when I got up to him a few seconds later.

So a year of small deer for me again. Just as well, the little ones are the tastiest.

Also happy as hell to finally wash away all of the “almosts” and “screw-ups” between first day or archery until now. Plus, first time hunting GRSF and happy to have a deer to my credit out of it as well.

Plus first deer with that Sako. Time to build that Grendel upper for the late season!

Attachments

• 061B18F8-28FC-49E0-B5D5-9BE2238319B1.jpg
      061B18F8-28FC-49E0-B5D5-9BE2238319B1.jpg
      178.3 KB · Views: 144

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    View from where I had been sitting and maybe 10 minutes before he walked out dead ahead of me. Shot him as he got to the two fallen trees at the bottom there. Maybe 50yds away.

Attachments

• 0E940B11-9FAB-4A8E-B82A-8ABF3B11880E.jpg
      0E940B11-9FAB-4A8E-B82A-8ABF3B11880E.jpg
      84.7 KB · Views: 146

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    The evening sit in Reisterstown sucked. Big fat heavy wet snow fell hard all afternoon. Supposed to get 1-3 inches, we had 4-5 by 3pm and it snowed harder after that. Saw zero deer, and one weirdly playful squirrel. Never saw a squirrel playing in the snow before, so that was at least interesting.

My Dad managed to shoot a doe at 4:30, although with an admitted poor shot. Broke a leg and it ran off limping, little blood. Heck, 5 inches of snow to track in should be easy, right? Followed that thing 200 yds then it just vanished. It ran into a several acre briar/river bottom thicket and I lost the damn track. The forest floor snow is all busted up from the thick briars and the clumpy snow piles dropping from the branches. Couldn’t make out the difference between tracks and pockets of uneven snow drop. It was too dark to see without the headlamp. And with the headlamp the huge snowflakes falling were too hard to see thru.

Going back in the AM to finish tracking in better light, but from Dad’s description I don’t think that deer will die, at least anytime in the near future. It’s deflating when you can’t close the deal, but it happens to all of us at one time or another. He’s undoubtedly pissed because of his bad shot, I’m pissed because I lost a track of a single deer dragging a leg in 5” of fresh undisturbed snow. No merit badge for me tonight.

Built2Grind

Dec 9, 2017
    Eastern Shore
    The evening sit in Reisterstown sucked. Big fat heavy wet snow fell hard all afternoon. Supposed to get 1-3 inches, we had 4-5 by 3pm and it snowed harder after that. Saw zero deer, and one weirdly playful squirrel. Never saw a squirrel playing in the snow before, so that was at least interesting.

My Dad managed to shoot a doe at 4:30, although with an admitted poor shot. Broke a leg and it ran off limping, little blood. Heck, 5 inches of snow to track in should be easy, right? Followed that thing 200 yds then it just vanished. It ran into a several acre briar/river bottom thicket and I lost the damn track. The forest floor snow is all busted up from the thick briars and the clumpy snow piles dropping from the branches. Couldn’t make out the difference between tracks and pockets of uneven snow drop. It was too dark to see without the headlamp. And with the headlamp the huge snowflakes falling were too hard to see thru.

Going back in the AM to finish tracking in better light, but from Dad’s description I don’t think that deer will die, at least anytime in the near future. It’s deflating when you can’t close the deal, but it happens to all of us at one time or another. He’s undoubtedly pissed because of his bad shot, I’m pissed because I lost a track of a single deer dragging a leg in 5” of fresh undisturbed snow. No merit badge for me tonight.
    Deers probably in the next County by now

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Look for that deer near the water. It should run to the water.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Agreed. That’s where the track died. Paralleled the stream for 200 yds, crossed it, then 3 steps into the thick stuff is where I lost it. One eyedropper spot of blood at beginning, then no more. I think he hit low & broke the front leg. Dad thinks he broke the back leg. It’s definitely dragging a leg in her track. It’s flopping since sometime it’s inside the track line sometimes outside. I don’t think he hit anything that would kill it, unless an artery that will eventually bleed her out. I’m going back in the AM to pickup the track in the light, but I’m not optimistic about finding her dead anywhere. Plus I’m gonna have to tresspass my butt off in about 50 more yards just to keep tracking, so I doubt I’ll go too much further.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If it's wounded badly, it will expire from shock if left alone in the cold. A badly broken leg would be considered an injury that could kill by shock. Do yourself a favor and get a set of heavy duty gloves and something to cut those briars. It will more than likely expire in the thickest part too.

Good Luck!

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    I'n the last minutes of rifle I managed to put some meat in the freezer yesterday. Nothing special but I have been out a bunch and decided to spend all day on public land to really give it my all before the season closed. Western Maryland public land is hard hunting between the pressure and bag limits. Oh and the hiking in and having to drag that thing a mile out alone haha.

Attachments

• IMG_0783.jpg
      IMG_0783.jpg
      58.7 KB · Views: 147

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'n the last minutes of rifle I managed to put some meat in the freezer yesterday. Nothing special but I have been out a bunch and decided to spend all day on public land to really give it my all before the season closed. Western Maryland public land is hard hunting between the pressure and bag limits. Oh and the hiking in and having to drag that thing a mile out alone haha.

Congrats!

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    "Nothing wounded goes uphill"

Solid anonymous advice that helped me find my buck this year.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    "Nothing wounded goes uphill"

Solid anonymous advice that helped me find my buck this year.

Yes they do.

Whatever direction of travel when shot. A deer will sprint in that direction.

My last deer harvested this year went uphill. Which was nice, because it didnt go far.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I moved to the next ravine over after waking for about an hour scouting around. Much shallow slope, much more open woods. I bumped a deer out of there right after I started walking. The hill sides flatten out and meet at about a half acre field and I was at the edge of that texting on my phone standing in place for a couple of minutes when it hopped up about 100yds away and took off down the ravine.

Went back up the hill on the one side of the ravine towards my car and I was going to start it up, get the heat going and warm up for half an hour. I detoured along the hillside instead and found the woods really open on both sides of the ravine, so I plunked down, scrapped a nice rest out of the ground with my boots, stuck my pack under my head and alternated dozing and sitting up with rapt attention as well as trying to keep my toes warm (lesson learned, 400 thinuslate with two sets of winter socks is NOT warm enough when it is barely above freezing to sit for 6 hours). The 30 degree slope made it all possible.

About 20 minutes before sunset the clouds cleared off and the sun lit up the tree tops.

A little button buck walked down off the hillside across from me straight towards me. I was really expecting something to come up the ravine and not straight across from it. He didn’t present a very good shot and when he hit the bottom and wasn’t turning to follow it, was about to head straight up, but he gave me a 3/4 towards profile. I should have aimed right another couple of inches to get both lungs, but smashed his right from shoulder/leg intersection and one lung. He limped about 25 yds before he tipped over on the hillside and couldn’t get up. I had to put a 2nd round in him when I got up to him a few seconds later.

So a year of small deer for me again. Just as well, the little ones are the tastiest.

Also happy as hell to finally wash away all of the “almosts” and “screw-ups” between first day or archery until now. Plus, first time hunting GRSF and happy to have a deer to my credit out of it as well.

Plus first deer with that Sako. Time to build that Grendel upper for the late season!

Best quartering to shot placement is the point of the leading front shoulder. Sounds like you hit it right. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom