• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    1440% increase..Might just go grab one myself!

https://dailycaller.com/2018/11/13/dc-ccws-jump-over-1440-percent/

DC Carry Permits Jump Over 1440 Percent Since District Went ‘Shall Issue’

8:56 PM 11/13/2018 | Guns and Gear
    WASHINGTON — The number of Washington D.C. concealed carry permit holders skyrocketed a little over 1440 percent since the District lost a key legal battle related to its previous restrictive gun permitting process at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia last year.

The Metropolitan Police Department confirmed to The Daily Caller Tuesday that 1,896 concealed carry permits were issued by MPD for the calendar year to date 2018.

MPD noted that several hundred approvals came from applications submitted in late 2017. These were included in the current 2018 approval number, which is why the total number of 2018 applications for DC concealed carry permits to date is 1508 — a number lower than the 2018 approval number.

Prior the court ruling, according to The Washington Post, only 123 people had active D.C. concealed carry permits and MPD previously denied 77 percent of applicants for not providing the once-mandated “good reason” to carry.

The new numbers of people wanting D.C. carry permits continue to rise as House Democrats announced last week their caucus will aggressively push for more gun control measures in the new Congress, where they will have a majority.

How did this jump happen so quickly? In July 2017, the Court of Appeals ruled in Wrenn v. District of Columbia that concealed carry applicants no longer needed to prove a “good reason” to get a CCP in the District.

DC Metropolitan Police Department Gun Control Office/ Daily Caller – Kerry Picket
    By October of 2017, D.C. Attorney General Karl Racine announced that the district would not appeal the decision to the Supreme Court, claiming that an unfavorable ruling from the high court would force other municipalities across the country to also do away with their restrictive gun permit processes. (Related: DC Decides Not To Appeal Concealed Carry Court Order To Supreme Court)

Once known for its decades-long handgun ban, D.C. went from being “may issue” to “shall issue” when it came to issuing its concealed carry permits, so attaining the permit through the District’s mandate of in-class hours and on range requirements along with MPD’s extensive criminal background check became more of a reality for private citizens across the country. (RELATED: Eliminating DC’s Handgun Ban Had No Effect On Homicides)

In addition, a list of MPD approved firearms instructors became available on the District’s website for applicants to contact in order to fulfill their class and gun range requirements.

“[My classes] have been a mix of both D.C. — a lot of Virginia people and a few Maryland. Everybody is very excited. It’s neat to be able to have the opportunity to carry in D.C. even though it’s very restrictive,” said Jerry Rapp, an approved MPD firearms instructor who is director and owner of the Alexandria, VA-based Spec Dive Tactical and Spec Dive LLC.

According to Rapp, immediately after the law changed in D.C., a “big wave” of individuals within the local gun activist community came to take his course. Today, he says his numbers have normalized with 10 to 20 person classes filling up quickly within two weeks, as word has spread to the public about carrying a firearm in D.C.

“What is it—conceal carry day?” a clerk at MPD’s third-floor gun control office jokingly asked a handful of people with applications waiting in line earlier this week.

The Daily Caller spoke to applicants at the MPD who delivered their necessary paperwork for gun permits.

“These are the laws placed by our founding fathers,” a young man from D.C. who works for the federal government told TheDC after he delivered his application.

A man in his 60s from Maryland last week dropped off his application saying he already had the Utah permit, so he could now qualify to apply for the D.C. carry permit.

“I’m pleased because only the ones that qualify would really get concealed. If you don’t qualify you’re not going to get it. So, I’m really pleased,” he said. “It’s a free country … your right to bear arms.”

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    It is still hard to believe Wash. DC was taken down and we can not even get one rung up the ladder in Maryland and are really heading backwards . SMH

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I hear first day of Hogan’s 2nd term he’s going to begin having a discussion with Frosh regarding unrestricted shall issue for all! He’ll be a lame duck and has nothing to lose.
    >SARCASM<

Why don't you ask to meet with Hogan and convince him that that's exactly what he should do? You can point to D.C.'s success during your talk.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I hear first day of Hogan’s 2nd term he’s going to begin having a discussion with Frosh regarding unrestricted shall issue for all! He’ll be a lame duck and has nothing to lose.
    >SARCASM<

Why don't you ask to meet with Hogan and convince him that that's exactly what he should do? You can point to D.C.'s success during your talk.

In all seriousness, why wouldn't Hogan do that, for the reason that he is a "lame duck and has nothing to lose"? I've heard left wingers comment with fear in their voices that "Although Hogan hasn't been that bad so far" (has leaned to the left), "he might go bat $shit crazy if re-elected" (become another Bob Ehrlich, and fight for our side). Perhaps not, but it's certainly worth pondering.

In any event, this is great new for that otherwise cesspool, Washington DC...
    :party29:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Did some rough number crunching , relative to populations .

If you compare the raw numbers of Permits vs population , DC is running about 10% behind Md .

But since DC's Permits are equally accessible to non-residents , and a high porportion of non DC Residents are routinely in DC , let's look as to the DC Metropolitan Area which has approximately the same population as Maryland . In that comparison , DC is 90% behind Md statewide .

But ..... for an additional variable ; In Md the occupational related W&C for various Armed Security-ish positions is included in grand total . In DC , GSA Certification , and armed SPO Commisssions are handled by different processes, and not included in grand totals

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    That was a good article.

When I read about Hawaii, with 0 issued some years, Los Angeles county with only a few hundred for 10m people, and the antics of the News, York and Jersey, it’s worth considering that the office I work in has ~1/3 ccw holders. 13 have permits.

Even had a class for ccw, renewals and first timers, last March where our employee filled the class to capacity. 18 people, including fathers, sisters, wives, friends, etc.

It’s funny, as in odd or stupid, how folks claim they don’t like suppression of rights, but use the BUT BUT BUT, ITS GUNS! To suppress 2a rights. Yeah, preaching to the choir.

And people ARE NOT getting shot at their desks! Go figure!

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    So, how is this process playing out, now? Still need special DC class and range time for an NR DC permit when you hold a MD W&C? What's the turn around time looking like these days? I probably should do this - both on principle, and because I live too alarmingly close to the DC line, and you just never know.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So, how is this process playing out, now? Still need special DC class and range time for an NR DC permit when you hold a MD W&C? What's the turn around time looking like these days? I probably should do this - both on principle, and because I live too alarmingly close to the DC line, and you just never know.

If your MD 16 hour training is no more than two years old DC will accept it. You will still need to do the DC law class and course of fire (50 rds, vs 25 for MD).

Send in your completed application along with $75 and the info on which firearm(s) you wish to carry in DC to MPD. Then wait. Easy peasy.

The first firearm registration is free with your permit but each additional will be $13. You are actually issued another card with your mug on it that lists the make model & serial # of the firearm which must be carried along with your permit while in DC and also must be shown to law enforcement during traffic stops, etc...

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    If your MD 16 hour training is no more than two years old DC will accept it. You will still need to do the DC law class and course of fire (50 rds, vs 25 for MD).

Send in your completed application along with $75 and the info on which firearm(s) you wish to carry in DC to MPD. Then wait. Easy peasy.

The first firearm registration is free with your permit but each additional will be $13. You are actually issued another card with your mug on it that lists the make model & serial # of the firearm which must be carried along with your permit while in DC and also must be shown to law enforcement during traffic stops, etc...

Got it. So:

1) I could easily see listing three or four potential carry pieces. Not a problem?

2) Does the law class and course of fire take place AFTER you get the paperwork ball rolling?

Thanks for the help.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Got it. So:

1) I could easily see listing three or four potential carry pieces. Not a problem?

2) Does the law class and course of fire take place AFTER you get the paperwork ball rolling?

Thanks for the help.

1. Nope. Register as many or few as you like but be mindful of the 10 round mag limit.

2. Before. Take all your training and then fill out the paperwork and submit.

Your initial wait time is ~3 months. Permits are good for two years but renewals are walk in/walk out if desired. Took me longer to park and walk to MPD HQ than it did inside getting my permit renewed.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Got it. So:

Thanks for the help.

1. Nope. Register as many or few as you like but be mindful of the 10 round mag limit.

2. Before. Take all your training and then fill out the paperwork and submit.

Your initial wait time is ~3 months. Permits are good for two years but renewals are walk in/walk out if desired. Took me longer to park and walk to MPD HQ than it did inside getting my permit renewed.

2. You can take the classes and qualify after the initial app, DC will send you a letter giving you 45 days to take the required classes and qualify. So the true answer is before or after.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

So, let's say I've got a G23. Bought in MD with 10-round mags, but of course also have some 13's for it, which wouldn't ride along to DC. Are they just interested in not busting you with a >10 mag, or will they only allow registration of pistols that max out at 10?

And, as any annoying (because, I must be getting annoying, here) follow up thought: what happens when you buy another piece a year later and want to modify your list of registered items? I presume there's an only slightly miserable way to do that? Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom