• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    W76vIdz.jpg

Just returned from my fourth trip to the range with the Shadow Orange Custom and I can honestly say it's pretty badass. I've had a couple of revolvers and 1911's that have come close but, none of them perform with the same degree of consistency that this thing does. Doesn't seem to matter if it's either blue light special Magtech or my go-to Sellier & Bellot 124gr, this pistol just doesn't care what its fed.

RnvZ9Ur.jpg
    FQC6JiK.jpg

4FQKUKY.jpg
    JMnAayl.jpg

The greatest challenge seems to be maintaining composure. I tend to get carried away and make faster follow-up shots than I should, resulting in some epic flyers at times. It's a bad habit, I freely admit and this gun only exacerbates it. The trigger is on the same level of crispness as any Colt revolver I've either owned or currently own. All other consideration aside, the CZ Custom trigger work is what really makes the Shadow Orange the competition-ready pistol it is, straight from the MF'ing box.

MiIwNPd.jpg

Last Saturday morning I took it to a bowling pin match where neither one of us stood much of a chance going against .45's and .40's being shot by shooters who do it (well) on a regular basis but, I kinda knew that going-in. I've never been able to do well with factory 124gr FMJ and last week's match was no exception. Plus, I made some truly boneheaded mistakes because I was overly-jazzed, shooting a new pistol for only the third time and not wanting to look like a total dork. In two of the six relays, though, I forgot to flip my thumb safety off before trying to take my first shot. LOL So much for not looking like a dork.

124gr 9mm just doesn't have enough 'oomph' to take the pins completely off the table on a consistent basis unless they're hit just right, which isn't easy to do when shooting against the clock. I focus more on time than accuracy in a pin match because, with a .45, all it needs to do is nick a pin to send it flying 10 feet off the table. It's also no coincidence that the club's champion shoots sub 4-second relays with a Glock in .40 using his own reloads so my expectations were realistic in these circumstances. Opinions may vary but, an 11.57 second average for my low-3 relay average wasn't all that 'stanky' considering that the 59 total rounds fired I averaged two shots for every five-pin relay that match for a grand total of 30 pins. I had no time penalties for either missing a pin or leaving one on the table. By contrast, my previous best relay average was 8.72 with a 1911.

Still, I had a great time and was not disappointed with how the Shadow Orange performed. Pins may not be its best game but, it never missed all day. Not even once.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Really nice shooting, Z. Wondering what holster will be a good match for the orange Shadow. Kydex for matches, but maybe something from High Noon for bbq.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I'm way past my prime when it comes to competition. I'm happy just do well and not embarrass myself in front of the guys who are really good at it. I was one of them quite a few years ago. Now, I just don't have enough time to practice. I'm sure I could shave a couple of seconds off my times if I did.

You know me when it comes to holsters. It'll take me awhile to decide! ;)

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    If you want a great competition holster be sure to check out Red Hill Tactical!
    Use my discount code for %10 off. I highly recommend their double layer kydex.

I really like Red Hill Tactical holsters so, I appreciate the tip and the discount code! Thanks! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Good Shootin’!!!

It's the gun, Doc. It ain't me. I could hand that pistol to almost anyone and as long as they're physically capable of lining-up the sights, they'd get about the same results.

What I love about it is how much it feels like a good old CZ-75. Does it shoot appreciably better than a Shadow 2? Umm, not really. The difference in accuracy is negligible. Where the Shadow Orange 'beats' the Shadow 2 is in weight, balance and ergonomics.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Nice! Did you try the Shadow 2 to compare? I wonder how the two differ to the normal shooter?

Yes. I think I'm a fairly normal shooter and to me, the nearly half pound (7oz.) difference in weight is significant.

The Shadow 2 was designed to feel front-heavy to aid in absorbing recoil, according to CZ. As a result, it feels very front heavy and slow to wield. It's a beast but, a very, very accurate beast and probably the most accurate 9mm pistol that can be had for around $1100-1200.

BMore

Feb 23, 2008
    High Rent District
    Excellent shooting and a beautiful gun. Thanks for providing a comparison between CZ Custom and Shadow 2. Everytime I convince myself I don't need another CZ, threads like this convince me otherwise.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Nice! Did you try the Shadow 2 to compare? I wonder how the two differ to the normal shooter?
    He has posted in the past about range sessions with two different Shadow 2 pistols, with great looking targets. I believe his 10 yard target with the new custom Shadow and Magtech ammo is the only of the bunch that I've seen all 50 shots in the red circle. Not a side-by-side comparison, but he has sufficient experience with the Shadow 2 platform that his perspective is pretty informed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I dont have a shadow, just a plain sp-01. All CZs shoot this well. I am mediocre but have no problem hitting the red at 10 yards. The trigger on the shadow is nicer - the SP-01 has more a duty trigger wheras the Shadow has more of a competition trigger.

I love CZs, I only wish they made a 10mm varietal. The closest you can get is a Witness, which is basically a slightly bigger CZ.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I dont have a shadow, just a plain sp-01. All CZs shoot this well. I am mediocre but have no problem hitting the red at 10 yards. The trigger on the shadow is nicer - the SP-01 has more a duty trigger wheras the Shadow has more of a competition trigger.

I love CZs, I only wish they made a 10mm varietal. The closest you can get is a Witness, which is basically a slightly bigger CZ.

The irony of the fact that Tanfoglio made their fortune by making CZ clones and the Shadow 2 being a very close copy of their Stock 3 pistol isn't lost on me. It was like CZ said, "OK heres some payback for copying us all these years!" :D

DVAz5pR.jpg

EAA/Tanfoglio Stock III Xtreme

Last edited:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Back at it again this morning. This time, 15 yarders and some new-to-me 147gr Fiocchi FMJ with a box of Federal/AE 124gr FMJ for comparison purposes. Fitty rounds each.

SD72W9L.jpg
    QWAL3PF.jpg

Finally got a lane just bright enough to get the FO front sight glowing and I tore it up with the Federal. OTOH, the Fiocchi had me wondering WTF a couple of times. It wanted to print about 2" higher than the 124gr but, overall, I think it'll work OK on bowling pins at 25 feet. What remains to be seen is if their little bit of extra weight will be enough to get the job done.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Is this pistol made for a certain weight bullet? It's a competition pistol right? Does CZ have a recommendation? Try some 115gr and see how that does. Fine shooting BTW.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Is this pistol made for a certain weight bullet? It's a competition pistol right? Does CZ have a recommendation? Try some 115gr and see how that does. Fine shooting BTW.

CZ sights them in at the factory with Sellier & Bellot 124gr FMJ. All my CZ's shoot POA with them.

I'm trying to find a somewhat-inexpensive factory load that'll knock bowling pins completely off a table (reliably) with one shot. If a 124gr won't do it, a 115gr definitely won't do it. ;)

I'm eager to see what 147gr FMJ will do but, I'm not expecting miracles. I think they will perform marginally better and be a little more forgiving with off-center shots than the 124gr FMJ I used at the last match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom