• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I actually looked into this slightly for about a week. Some variant of the AR pistol is on the handgun roster, but it is restricted and only available for military and law enforcement sale (i.e., no civilian sales).

Engage in Rockville tried to get an AR pistol put on the handgun roster but it was denied.

I'd be interested in knowing whether anybody has bought a AR or AK SBR since October 1, 2013 and how it was handled.

An AR pistol is not an SBR.

I know of several folks that have purchased an SBR'd rifle on a form 4 and the paperwork had it classified as a rifle, not a handgun. MSP signed off on the form 4 and they are currently in the 9 month waiting que for approval from BATFE.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Think this should be spread around so more people see this.
    Thank Engage for this:
    https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...e/HandgunRoster/HandgunModels.aspx?manu=22118

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It finally got approved. I thought I subscribed to that thread in the IP section, but I must not have. Was this a recent development? I know they were having problems with it. Kudos to them for sticking with this even with all the push back they were receiving.

I might just have to go down there and buy one from them. Wonder if they could paint it like the Maryland flag AR receiver set they auctioned earlier in the year.

This is actually encouraging.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    That is an AR pistol, not and SBR.

Yep, that is true. There is no buttstock on that gun. This entire SBR thing is driving me nuts. Engage should submit the very same pistol with a buttstock attached to it and see if it can be added to the handgun roster. I mean, it would be an SBR so it is classified as a handgun per Maryland definition.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It finally got approved. I thought I subscribed to that thread in the IP section, but I must not have. Was this a recent development? I know they were having problems with it. Kudos to them for sticking with this even with all the push back they were receiving.

I might just have to go down there and buy one from them. Wonder if they could paint it like the Maryland flag AR receiver set they auctioned earlier in the year.

This is actually encouraging.

Don't know too much info myself. Was reading about their CHODE upper when someone posted that link.

Sent from Jesus

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    While the Bushmaster is on the Handgun Roster, it is restricted to US government armed forces and police agencies only. Not for civilian sale. Seems ridiculous to approve something on the Handgun Roster for US Armed Forces and Police use only.

Is that new? I don't remember seeing that restriction before.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As with the law, how MSP is interpreting the law is very confusing.

For many years, SBRs were handled as if they were NOT regulated firearms. In the meetings back in August, MSP even stated that SBRs would be OK, even if of banned rifles, as they were Federally regulated.

Then things changed. Not the law, just how MSP was applying it.

It will probably take a lawsuit to get MSP to actually follow the part of the law that says an SBR or SBS is a handgun, and NOT a long gun of any sort.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm in the "the current interpretation of the law is very confusing and not well defined or explained" camp. Unfortunately, the AG seems to not want to answer the questions that were submitted to him about NFA weapons (what's going on with that, dblas?), so we're working from a position of no information.

You should generally be safe if you don't build an SBR that would be banned as a rifle (or shotgun, in the case of an SBS). That's about the most certainty we have right now.

Is that new? I don't remember seeing that restriction before.
    Definitely new post 10/1. I have a copy of the roster from July, and it has no such language. I have no idea where the handgun roster board thinks they're deriving the power to define copies of assault pistols. (Or how the MSP thinks they can ban all Bushmaster rifles and pistols.)

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'm in the "the current interpretation of the law is very confusing and not well defined or explained" camp. Unfortunately, the AG seems to not want to answer the questions that were submitted to him about NFA weapons (what's going on with that, dblas?), so we're working from a position of no information.

You should generally be safe if you don't build an SBR that would be banned as a rifle (or shotgun, in the case of an SBS). That's about the most certainty we have right now.

Definitely new post 10/1. I have a copy of the roster from July, and it has no such language. I have no idea where the handgun roster board thinks they're deriving the power to define copies of assault pistols. (Or how the MSP thinks they can ban all Bushmaster rifles and pistols.)

I think the executive branch in Maryland has gone nuts, just like its federal counterpart. They over reach by a long shot and then force poor citizens to defend themselves in Court while they can throw tons of resources, funded by The People, at the matter.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!

Thanks. I knew it wasn't there before. This is just one more example of how the state does whatever it wants. Complete lawlessness.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

The good Delegate is still awaiting answers. I will poke him and see what he gets.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Buy the Sig P-556 with the arm brace.
    AR pistol and SBR problem solved.
    P556-SWAT-SB15-Detail-Hero.jpg

Of course its not really an SBR but you can pretend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom