• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Shipping’s expensive from them ($20).

Depending on how much you are looking to get, SGA or Outdoor limiter is cheaper. $13 per 20 for new PPU M2 Ball and shipping is $11-12.

Break even when factoring shipping was ordering 200 rounds of the Danish ammo from J&G. So 300 round order to save a little bit of money.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    To feed your Garands? Y'all can jump on all the $0.80 each (delivered) Danish ammo in non-re-loadable Berdan primed cases you want. Is it corrosive? Who really knows...

As for me?

Ill finish reloading all the Greek HXP cases from 4570 and my trip to the CMP last August. They were on my reloading bench today. My bet is I'll have the ammo box filled for < $ 0.50 per round. And they will shoot better than surplus ammo...

:innocent0

Attachments

• DSC00432 Range Brass SNIP.jpg
      DSC00432 Range Brass SNIP.jpg
      74.2 KB · Views: 477
    • DSC00431 Garand Reloads in Clips Snip.jpg
      DSC00431 Garand Reloads in Clips Snip.jpg
      62.4 KB · Views: 462
    Last edited:

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    To feed your Garands? Y'all can jump on all the $0.80 each (delivered) Danish ammo in non-re-loadable Berdan primed cases you want. Is it corrosive? Who really knows...

As for me?

Ill finish reloading all the Greek HXP cases from 4570 and my trip to the CMP last August. They were on my reloading bench today. My bet is I'll have the ammo box filled for < $ 0.50 per round. And they will shoot better than surplus ammo...

:innocent0

I'm with you...but don't have any greek brass, hopped on all the LC-69
    Demil 06 that Wideners had when Frank owned it. 150gr. / 155gr / 168gr
    bullets.

may shoot that in a clunker but...

-Rock

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    For you Garand reloaders, how “perfect” does the brass need to be? I was looking it over and 3 or 4 cases out of the 32 I shot have the rim dented. I can post pics. It is a very shallow and small dent, just wondering. Maybe .02-.04” deep and 3x that wide. Looks kind of like the case spun out and the rim smacked the receiver (I have about as many where it is the case mouth bent in visibly, but only a tiny amount).

I am planning to reload for my Garand as soon as I am “allowed to” (don’t ask). I have a Layman turret press, but no .30-06 dies yet.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    For you Garand reloaders, how “perfect” does the brass need to be? I was looking it over and 3 or 4 cases out of the 32 I shot have the rim dented. I can post pics. It is a very shallow and small dent, just wondering. Maybe .02-.04” deep and 3x that wide. Looks kind of like the case spun out and the rim smacked the receiver (I have about as many where it is the case mouth bent in visibly, but only a tiny amount).

I am planning to reload for my Garand as soon as I am “allowed to” (don’t ask). I have a Layman turret press, but no .30-06 dies yet.

These videos in slow motion will give you an idea why cases get dented:
    https://www.gulfcoastgunforum.com/showthread.php?22361-M1-Garand-in-slow-motion-(gif-heavy)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Dents are OK.

Creases are not so OK. I would not worry so much in the neck area, but the shoulder or body, to me, creases are a no-no.

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    I don't get dents in the cases, but I throw a fairly light load. 46 gr 4895 behind a 155 SMK. It always cycles, and is very accurate in my Garand. I'm not sure if the two are related - it might just be the way my rifle throws them.

I always Full Length resize, and get many, many loadings out of a case.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Depending on the amount of "damage" to the rim
    case mouths don't really worry about.
    Dents depending how severe, gouges or almost
    like it is gonna dig a hole in the side then no.
    If you have ever reloaded for a "HK" type rifle
    you will know what "dents" are, rims bent, and
    the "flutes", still reload them to a point, a little
    more effort to resize but do-able. None of the
    Garands I have tear the rims up, a dent maybe.
    But using LC brass.

-Rock

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I follow the NRA formula on Master Po’s site for the 149gr bullet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Everyone might want to copy the data at Master Po's. The webhost has gotten really iffy and often doesn't work.
    Master Po used to post in one of the other forums. He's a High Master competitor and at least 10 years ago stated he wasn't going to update or maintain the website anymore. He was too busy with other stuff.
    It's still available in the web archives: http://web.archive.org/web/20000620055732/home.att.net/~Masterpo/M1load.htm
    Save it before it disappears.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Depending on the amount of "damage" to the rim
    case mouths don't really worry about.
    Dents depending how severe, gouges or almost
    like it is gonna dig a hole in the side then no.
    If you have ever reloaded for a "HK" type rifle
    you will know what "dents" are, rims bent, and
    the "flutes", still reload them to a point, a little
    more effort to resize but do-able. None of the
    Garands I have tear the rims up, a dent maybe.
    But using LC brass.

-Rock

Yeah, I wouldn’t say the rim is gouged or torn. More like a very noticeable dent on the edge. It and the case mouth dents on some brass I am sure is from where the case is spinning out and smashing in to the receiver.

Out of curiosity, anyone use a porter gas plug? Not the schuster one, but the porter one. Not really planning to use commercial (non-M2) ammo in my Garand. Again, if I hunt with it I’ll go with reloading my own soft point ammo. From everything I’ve read and seen, the Garand is seriously over gassed for reliability. I am thinking taking it down a notch helps longevity and softens recoil a hair. Maybe might make the brass stay in better shape also.

I’d prefer not to vent a bunch of gas out the end from a schuster plug.

Thoughts? Not worth spending the money on one? Might as well?

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    The Danish ammo is great stuff. I have a couple cases..

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Yeah, I wouldn’t say the rim is gouged or torn. More like a very noticeable dent on the edge. It and the case mouth dents on some brass I am sure is from where the case is spinning out and smashing in to the receiver.

Out of curiosity, anyone use a porter gas plug? Not the schuster one, but the porter one. Not really planning to use commercial (non-M2) ammo in my Garand. Again, if I hunt with it I’ll go with reloading my own soft point ammo. From everything I’ve read and seen, the Garand is seriously over gassed for reliability. I am thinking taking it down a notch helps longevity and softens recoil a hair. Maybe might make the brass stay in better shape also.

I’d prefer not to vent a bunch of gas out the end from a schuster plug.

Thoughts? Not worth spending the money on one? Might as well?

M1's are hard on brass just due to the nature of the design. I never really thought of a Garand as being over gassed. Age of the rifles and the use the majority of them have seen. Worn gas cylinders, poor gas cylinder fit to barrels, out of spec or near op rod tips and eroded barrel ports add up over time. Not to mention loose gas cylinder plugs or cracked dirty poppet valve surfaces.
    I would strip the bolt and inspect the extractor and ejector spring to make sure they are not sticky and then thoroughly clean the chamber with a ratchet type brush. Then determine if chamber walls are pitted, scored or subject to some other anomaly. Same thing with the receiving surfaces on the bolt.

Different types and lots off ammo may exhibit different characteristics regarding spent brass when you inspect it. When you become more familiar with your rifle and have the opportunity to compare the components to other examples you will begin to identify other wear characteristics.

I suspect worn or recently swapped parts on the bolt camming and extraction surfaces on the bolt, receiver, and op rod could alter the extent of bent or torn rims to some degree. Bent case mouths you can just straighten with a dowel or pulled bullet when you inspect your brass.

After a thorough inspection and performing good basic maintenance to the rifles components I would consider at the very least replacing the op-rod spring before worrying about a ported gas plug, that can be done later on if you prefer and even then you'll more than likely gravitate back to an issue one once you start loading.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    M1's are hard on brass just due to the nature of the design. I never really thought of a Garand as being over gassed. Age of the rifles and the use the majority of them have seen. Worn gas cylinders, poor gas cylinder fit to barrels, out of spec or near op rod tips and eroded barrel ports add up over time. Not to mention loose gas cylinder plugs or cracked dirty poppet valve surfaces.
    I would strip the bolt and inspect the extractor and ejector spring to make sure they are not sticky and then thoroughly clean the chamber with a ratchet type brush. Then determine if chamber walls are pitted, scored or subject to some other anomaly. Same thing with the receiving surfaces on the bolt.

Different types and lots off ammo may exhibit different characteristics regarding spent brass when you inspect it. When you become more familiar with your rifle and have the opportunity to compare the components to other examples you will begin to identify other wear characteristics.

I suspect worn or recently swapped parts on the bolt camming and extraction surfaces on the bolt, receiver, and op rod could alter the extent of bent or torn rims to some degree. Bent case mouths you can just straighten with a dowel or pulled bullet when you inspect your brass.

After a thorough inspection and performing good basic maintenance to the rifles components I would consider at the very least replacing the op-rod spring before worrying about a ported gas plug, that can be done later on if you prefer and even then you'll more than likely gravitate back to an issue one once you start loading.

Thanks! I did replace the op rod spring before shooting it the first time. Fulton armory spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom