• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    For the gun safe I'm going with the Rapid Safe 4800 KP

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Don't go with RFID or biometric stuff on a safe. You are better off with one of the safes that had buttons that you can press to unlock it. Preferably, you'd want a full size safe, for when you get into rifles and/or shotguns.

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    Don't go with RFID or biometric stuff on a safe. You are better off with one of the safes that had buttons that you can press to unlock it. Preferably, you'd want a full size safe, for when you get into rifles and/or shotguns.
    I already considered a bigger safe. I'm not getting in to those type of guns. Unless and until I'm out of Maryland. Somewhere I have a better opportunity to shoot freely. I don't like the biometrics because they're not reliable. Are you saying in your experience the rfids are not reliable either?

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    I don't know about safe technology but the RFID is I'm used to have never failed

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I already considered a bigger safe. I'm not getting in to those type of guns. Unless and until I'm out of Maryland. Somewhere I have a better opportunity to shoot freely. I don't like the biometrics because they're not reliable. Are you saying in your experience the rfids are not reliable either?

RFID on a gun safe is not as reliable as what you are used to, if yours is in a work setting. Furthermore, the problem with RFID tech is if somebody gets access to the card/device to open the safe, that isn't supposed to access to it.

We deal with RFID at work and even with the tag up against the readers, they fail with a frequency that is unbelievable.

I wouldn't worry about holding off on waiting till your MD escape to get into long guns, because the sooner you get then, the sooner you get to play with them. Generally speaking there is nothing in MD that is banned in any other free state in America. May as well get them now, while you can.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I know they aren't as easy to find, but I have the same dial combination and key safe that I bought the day before they issued our handguns to us at the academy. 30 plus years ago it seemed expensive on a rookie salary but given the annual depreciation ; ) I think I've gotten my money's worth out of the purchase.

The safe won't open unless the combination is set and then the key can be used to open. I normally set the combination and then keep the key with me. Three children and two grandchildren, along with their friends who have been in the house and by the grace of God, no one has ever gotten it opened. I pretty much know when one of them (my oldest granddaughter) has tried to open the safe (twice), because when I've tried, the key won't open it and I can see the combination has been turned. I'm getting soft in my old age and I am trying to keep a better eye on her. She is clever but a bit rebellious.

No battery, no maintenance, just a simple safe with enough room for a few pistols and our valuable papers. Anyone with enough time and a torch can open any safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom