can an sbr ar-15 be registered as multi caliber?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    or is it caliber specific?
    say i have an sbr in .556, can i switch it to .300 blackout or 9mm without any issues?
    i'm not up on nfa stuff.
    thanks.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    As per an IP on this forum. It was explained to our club that the form must be filled out being caliber specific however you can convert it to another caliber provided you can return it to its original configuration. If you make a permanent change you should notify the ATF.

RedTide

The Water's Fine
    Jul 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    I could not register as "Multi", as it wasn't an option on the Silencer Shop eform. I have read that some will go through as Multi, and some get pushed back.

Either way, there is nothing stopping you from temporarily changing caliber on your SBR. If you "permanently" change, I believe the ATF requests that you notify them.

Form 1 your expected most used caliber and good to go.

EDIT: Post above came in while I was typing, and is exactly how I understand it.

sports89man7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2018
    i don't understand why someone would want to pay $250 just to put a rifle stock on a short barreled rifle...

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    i don't understand why someone would want to pay $250 just to put a rifle stock on a short barreled rifle...

It's $200 and if you put a stock on a SBR without a stamp, you are breaking the law.

Pistols with braces are nice, but SBRs much better. They are not limited by the ever changing opinions of the ATF.

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    It's $200 and if you put a stock on a SBR without a stamp, you are breaking the law.

Pistols with braces are nice, but SBRs much better. They are not limited by the ever changing opinions of the ATF.

Pistols are $200 cheaper, do not require ATF approval, do not have the OAL requirements (in MD), and have fewer legal hassles than SBRs.

That said, I do not regret SBR'ing one lower. It is nice to not have to worry about what handguard/grip I put on it or can I shoulder it. However, I won't likely do it, again. Unless I really want an AK, for some reason.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    or is it caliber specific?
    say i have an sbr in .556, can i switch it to .300 blackout or 9mm without any issues?
    i'm not up on nfa stuff.
    thanks.

Yes

Last edited:

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I was told by BATFE that you can only put one caliber in section 4c of the Form 4 and list additional calibers in section 4h of the Form 4 along with any engraving wording and other additional information about the item being registered/transferred.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I was told by BATFE that you can only put one caliber in section 4c of the Form 4 and list additional calibers in section 4h of the Form 4 along with any engraving wording and other additional information about the item being registered/transferred.

That is correct, for the time of registration.

However, you are perfectly able to change the caliber to whatever you want after it is registered. The ATF "requests" that you notify them of any permanent (read, you can no longer or no longer have the parts to return it to the registered configuration) alterations to the configuration of the SBR, but there is no legal requirement to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom