• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If those were my own handloads, with known charge of known powder, I might or might not have a personal opinion on their likely hood of probability of being within safe levels for a .357 .

Commercial reloads with unknown components , either dispose, or breakdown into components , discarding powder .

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Thanks! Yes, clear thinking and detailed knowledge always win the day!!

What is the round where 10 thousandths make so much difference? I’m thinking I need to be more careful...

I need to be more careful. I quoted that .010 spec from memory, and I did so incorrectly.

The spec I was trying to remember is actually .030, or 30 thousandths, and it comes from Speer #11 as follows: "Loads that produced 28,000 cup went to 62,000 cup when bullets were seated .030 deeper."

The cartridge......9mm Luger.

To quickly visualize what .030" looks like? If you have a credit card in your wallet, you're looking at a thickness of roughly .030.

My apology for the error.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I wrote them a few days back letting them know there was a problem with the ammo.

Got an update from Academy today. They're going to send me a label to ship the ammo back to them and replacing them with a fresh batch. It'd be an interesting experience to see how FedEx will handle an ORD-M return item. I'll have an update once I get the label from Academy.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I wrote them a few days back letting them know there was a problem with the ammo.

Got an update from Academy today. They're going to send me a label to ship the ammo back to them and replacing them with a fresh batch. It'd be an interesting experience to see how FedEx will handle an ORD-M return item. I'll have an update once I get the label from Academy.

Well, got another email update from them and they're still going to send me a replacement order but now they don't want the old order back. Apparently they don't accept ammo returns.

At any rate, even though it took a while I was treated very well throughout the whole experience. Definitely going to buy more stuff from them.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And on this note, something I just read ( probably re-read) from C.E. "Ed" Harris touches on this.

Back when he was dir of QA for Ruger , included a lot of in-house testing . Turns out genuine certified Proof Loads are expensive. Ruger was doing a lot of in house developemental prooftesting , for their own purposes, not official Proofing , si more economical proof loads were needed .

M882 9mm ball . Place loaded round in seating die, seat bullet 1/16in deeper, no other changes . Raised pressures 15,000 .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom