• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Weird, I've gone in a couple times and have had nothing but pleasant experiences with the staff there....especially that black dude. As soon as I came in, he made sure to see if he could help me track down what I was interested in and shot the breeze with me about a couple guns & parts. Their ammo selection is shenanigans, but they're alright. I picked up a raptor lt and radian 45 safety from them and their prices were competitive for those items. Other stuff was hit or miss, but I understand they have rent to pay.

USArmyJoe

Pretty good shot
    Oct 5, 2021
    AA County
    Resurrecting this thread to add that I will never go there again, and I have advised several of my friends to avoid that place.

This is a copy from a Reddit post I made about this place, and I wanted to post it here too:

My review of recent experiences over the last two months at Worth a Shot in Millersville. TL;DR at the bottom.

I have had a few experiences at Worth a Shot recently because they had handguns in stock that I just couldn't find anywhere else. Overall, I have a really hard time recommending them, and while I can't give exact details of my friends' experiences with, overall they had similar negative experiences.

1) Some of the staff - I must say, many of the staff there are perfectly polite, clear, and work efficiently. The dog there gets 5 stars. However, there are a few staff that constantly look down on you, or have an attitude that you must not know anything that you are talking about. Several of my friends who are even more avid shooters than me have had the same experience with long guns, handguns, and NFA items. In my case, I am military and wanted to get an HQL when I arrived in MD because I wanted to, so I did. It is not *necessary* for active duty to get an HQL, but I did anyway. Two staff there questioned that I was actually in the Army because I had an HQL, and looked at my ID card like "Are you serious?" as if they could spot a fake even if it were. Separately, the one guy really wanted to sell me on a different model than the one I specifically came in to buy. No dude, I don't care what you think about calibers, or barrel length. I don't care what you think is easier to carry. I could go on, but if I were to rank every gun store in MD I have been to, WaS is by far the worst customer service.

2) Prices - I paid over MSRP there because of the specific models I was after. Their prices for common handguns are 10% higher for the same gun elsewhere, and I wouldn't go out of my way to check their inventory for a common Glock, for instance.

3) Bore lock - One of the most infuriating parts of these experiences was about the bore lock. According to several staff members, MD law necessitates the use of *specifically* a bore lock, and *not* a cable lock or other gun lock device. It is a Franzen Security brand bore lock, and they sell it for about $35, though a quick google search shows it is about $20 retail. Not only does Maryland law NOT say bore lock(https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2019/public-safety/title-5/subtitle-1/sect-5-132/), but on the recently published list includes a branded lock BY NAME that I brought in, confirmed with one staff member that it was satisfactory, and then was forced to buy their bore lock to get my gun after the 7 day waiting period. This is holding my property hostage so they can make $15 on their shitty bore lock (Picked by LPL in seconds, by the way), AND after one staff member confirmed my branded cable lock would work. The staff insisted to install said bore lock before I could leave the store, which ALSO is not in line with MD law.

Now, if that is store policy, then they can do that, and I will never go back (I won't anyway, but I digress). But to hide behind MD law is gross. They said "The MD Police haven't told us any different, so we are just abiding by the law". No, you need to stay up on it. The MD Police aren't the arbiters of approved locks - the Handgun Roster Board is - and they don't have to inform your store of changes and updates to policy.

4) Anecdotes

- I have not taken any of their training courses, but others here and on MD Shooters say they teach a lot of ******** from wannabe tough guys. Spend you money how you want. They offer courses targeted at women and new shooters, so I imagine that they get away with teaching bad lessons because their client base doesn't know any better. It is just another brick in the slimy business practice wall.

- I won't buy ammo from them, but at a glance, the prices are pretty high (as is everything else in that store)

- One of the times when I walked in, while waiting to be helped, one of the staff was busy upselling a guy (a clear beginner) on a 22LR handgun because it was concealable and low recoil. This guy had no idea WTF he was buying, and definitely didn't have a W&C permit. Also, recommending a rimfire gun for self defense is negligent and dishonest *at best*.

- I hope some other LGS workers or owners can chime in.

-----------------------------------------------

TL-DR - I do not recommend Worth a Shot in any way. I gave them a chance because they had some very specific handgun models I wanted, and couldn't find elsewhere. The staff, prices, and slimy business policies will keep me from ever returning, and I dissuade everyone I know and shoot with from going there.

The super cute dog is literally the only thing going for them.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I live within an easy walk of this place and have only been once. I keep thinking about a second chance, but then I think about it only took once shutting my thumb in the car door to learn from that mistake.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Resurrecting this thread to add that I will never go there again, and I have advised several of my friends to avoid that place.

This is a copy from a Reddit post I made about this place, and I wanted to post it here too:

My review of recent experiences over the last two months at Worth a Shot in Millersville. TL;DR at the bottom.

I have had a few experiences at Worth a Shot recently because they had handguns in stock that I just couldn't find anywhere else. Overall, I have a really hard time recommending them, and while I can't give exact details of my friends' experiences with, overall they had similar negative experiences.

1) Some of the staff - I must say, many of the staff there are perfectly polite, clear, and work efficiently. The dog there gets 5 stars. However, there are a few staff that constantly look down on you, or have an attitude that you must not know anything that you are talking about. Several of my friends who are even more avid shooters than me have had the same experience with long guns, handguns, and NFA items. In my case, I am military and wanted to get an HQL when I arrived in MD because I wanted to, so I did. It is not *necessary* for active duty to get an HQL, but I did anyway. Two staff there questioned that I was actually in the Army because I had an HQL, and looked at my ID card like "Are you serious?" as if they could spot a fake even if it were. Separately, the one guy really wanted to sell me on a different model than the one I specifically came in to buy. No dude, I don't care what you think about calibers, or barrel length. I don't care what you think is easier to carry. I could go on, but if I were to rank every gun store in MD I have been to, WaS is by far the worst customer service.

2) Prices - I paid over MSRP there because of the specific models I was after. Their prices for common handguns are 10% higher for the same gun elsewhere, and I wouldn't go out of my way to check their inventory for a common Glock, for instance.

3) Bore lock - One of the most infuriating parts of these experiences was about the bore lock. According to several staff members, MD law necessitates the use of *specifically* a bore lock, and *not* a cable lock or other gun lock device. It is a Franzen Security brand bore lock, and they sell it for about $35, though a quick google search shows it is about $20 retail. Not only does Maryland law NOT say bore lock(https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2019/public-safety/title-5/subtitle-1/sect-5-132/), but on the recently published list includes a branded lock BY NAME that I brought in, confirmed with one staff member that it was satisfactory, and then was forced to buy their bore lock to get my gun after the 7 day waiting period. This is holding my property hostage so they can make $15 on their shitty bore lock (Picked by LPL in seconds, by the way), AND after one staff member confirmed my branded cable lock would work. The staff insisted to install said bore lock before I could leave the store, which ALSO is not in line with MD law.

Now, if that is store policy, then they can do that, and I will never go back (I won't anyway, but I digress). But to hide behind MD law is gross. They said "The MD Police haven't told us any different, so we are just abiding by the law". No, you need to stay up on it. The MD Police aren't the arbiters of approved locks - the Handgun Roster Board is - and they don't have to inform your store of changes and updates to policy.

4) Anecdotes

- I have not taken any of their training courses, but others here and on MD Shooters say they teach a lot of ******** from wannabe tough guys. Spend you money how you want. They offer courses targeted at women and new shooters, so I imagine that they get away with teaching bad lessons because their client base doesn't know any better. It is just another brick in the slimy business practice wall.

- I won't buy ammo from them, but at a glance, the prices are pretty high (as is everything else in that store)

- One of the times when I walked in, while waiting to be helped, one of the staff was busy upselling a guy (a clear beginner) on a 22LR handgun because it was concealable and low recoil. This guy had no idea WTF he was buying, and definitely didn't have a W&C permit. Also, recommending a rimfire gun for self defense is negligent and dishonest *at best*.

- I hope some other LGS workers or owners can chime in.

-----------------------------------------------

TL-DR - I do not recommend Worth a Shot in any way. I gave them a chance because they had some very specific handgun models I wanted, and couldn't find elsewhere. The staff, prices, and slimy business policies will keep me from ever returning, and I dissuade everyone I know and shoot with from going there.

The super cute dog is literally the only thing going for them.

where is this recently published list?

Also thanks for the LPL vid, that is epic. :lol2:

Edit: it seems like a lot of FFLs are under the impression about the bore lock. so idk if this is their fault. I'd like to see the list.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I've bought some lowers, ammo, charging handles...etc from there over the past couple years. I've had nothing but great experiences from them. For gun counter people(especially in md), they're actually fairly knowledgeable. When talking with them, there were some things they weren't familiar with(like form 1 suppressors), and asked about them with humility. It wasn't one employee, but multiple that operated the same way. Their prices are what they are for a brick and mortar shop in the area. They've gotta pay bills. I'll say their radian products(charging handles and talon safeties) are cheaper there than from anywhere online after shipping. Their lowers are reasonable. The "bore obstruction device" is not a cable lock.(edit- this has changed since I last checked,, sweet) While many places allow you to bring in your own bore obstruction device, many are told by either their lawyers or lease agreements that they must have a lock on the receipt to prove the gun left with one. Blame our crappy politicians and fight in annapolis to get that language removed.

Something huge that bought my loyalty beyond just enjoying my visits there is that every single damned time I've gone to annapolis to testify against 2a infringements, I've seen their ownership AND staff right next to me. They've sat in the same overflow rooms until their turn to testify. I'll pay extra for a handgun to support people like this.

I'd encourage all members to swing in and see for yourself how your experience is. For me personally, I'll continue swinging in there on my way home from work and I'm sure I'll continue having positive experiences. If I don't, I'll write about it honestly here. I have zero relationship with the store other than being a customer that enjoys it.

Last edited:

USArmyJoe

Pretty good shot
    Oct 5, 2021
    AA County

USArmyJoe

Pretty good shot
    Oct 5, 2021
    AA County
    I've bought some lowers, ammo, charging handles...etc from there over the past couple years. I've had nothing but great experiences from them. For gun counter people(especially in md), they're actually fairly knowledgeable. When talking with them, there were some things they weren't familiar with(like form 1 suppressors), and asked about them with humility. It wasn't one employee, but multiple that operated the same way. Their prices are what they are for a brick and mortar shop in the area. They've gotta pay bills. I'll say their radian products(charging handles and talon safeties) are cheaper there than from anywhere online after shipping. Their lowers are reasonable. The "bore obstruction device" is not a cable lock. While many places allow you to bring in your own bore obstruction device, many are told by either their lawyers or lease agreements that they must have a lock on the receipt to prove the gun left with one. Blame our crappy politicians and fight in annapolis to get that language removed.

Something huge that bought my loyalty beyond just enjoying my visits there is that every single damned time I've gone to annapolis to testify against 2a infringements, I've seen their ownership AND staff right next to me. They've sat in the same overflow rooms until their turn to testify. I'll pay extra for a handgun to support people like this.

I'd encourage all members to swing in and see for yourself how your experience is. For me personally, I'll continue swinging in there on my way home from work and I'm sure I'll continue having positive experiences. If I don't, I'll write about it honestly here. I have zero relationship with the store other than being a customer that enjoys it.

I would recommend that you visit just about any other LGS in the area (It is not a desert, as some may describe it). Their prices are >10% higher than other nearby stores that also have to deal with the same distributors, supply issues, and brick and mortar costs.

As you can also see in this thread, your customer service experience with them is uncommon. There are myriad stories on Reddit and elsewhere that they are condescending and outright wrong about MD law, Federal law, and gun knowledge. The individual guy I was dealing with was perfectly pleasant, helpful, and efficient. He was also adamant that I pay $35 for a bore lock that is not only not in line with MD law, but counter to it.

You may read the Maryland law on mechanical locks (and I linked the list above) however you would like, but if the other gun stores have the same guns for 10% less, AND I don't get extorted for $35 at the last second, I will never go to Worth A Shot again. You will notice that the Franzen Security lock is NOT listed on the MDSP list I linked.

I am really glad you had a good experience, but I really feel like you didn't read my post at all.

Last edited:

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I've bought some lowers, ammo, charging handles...etc from there over the past couple years. I've had nothing but great experiences from them. For gun counter people(especially in md), they're actually fairly knowledgeable. When talking with them, there were some things they weren't familiar with(like form 1 suppressors), and asked about them with humility. It wasn't one employee, but multiple that operated the same way. Their prices are what they are for a brick and mortar shop in the area. They've gotta pay bills. I'll say their radian products(charging handles and talon safeties) are cheaper there than from anywhere online after shipping. Their lowers are reasonable. The "bore obstruction device" is not a cable lock. While many places allow you to bring in your own bore obstruction device, many are told by either their lawyers or lease agreements that they must have a lock on the receipt to prove the gun left with one. Blame our crappy politicians and fight in annapolis to get that language removed.

1. Their prices are higher than nearby competitors.

2. It's run by (former) cops and cops are whom they cater to (the shop is a half mile from the AACO PD).

3. They have an over-the-top CYA mentality IMO. I remember having a transfer done there years ago and they made me sign a piece of paper saying I wouldn't murder anyone with it. If that's what you think of your clients, maybe you should change your line of work.

4. They were one of the companies not releasing after 8 days during 2013.

5. They sell that overpriced, gimmicky Ft. Knox ammo to people who don't know better. They keep the real self defense ammo back in their blue label shop.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I would recommend that you visit just about any other LGS in the area (It is not a desert, as some may describe it). Their prices are >10% higher than other nearby stores that also have to deal with the same distributors, supply issues, and brick and mortar costs.

As you can also see in this thread, your customer service experience with them is uncommon. There are myriad stories on Reddit and elsewhere that they are condescending and outright wrong about MD law, Federal law, and gun knowledge. The individual guy I was dealing with was perfectly pleasant, helpful, and efficient. He was also adamant that I pay $35 for a bore lock that is not only not in line with MD law, but counter to it.

You may read the Maryland law on mechanical locks (and I linked the list above) however you would like, but if the other gun stores have the same guns for 10% less, AND I don't get extorted for $35 at the last second, I will never go to Worth A Shot again.

I am really glad you had a good experience, but I really feel like you didn't read my post at all.

I had to print out the MSP list and argue with them for 10 minutes over why I didn't need a bore lock for my HKP2000SK. I'm sure newbies fall for it.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021

bstanley

Dec 1, 2010
    Gambrills
    I have bought several handguns from them and I have never had a problem, the counter staff has always been helpful and super polite. I have brought my own bore lock also never been an issue.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

You may read the Maryland law on mechanical locks (and I linked the list above) however you would like, but if the other gun stores have the same guns for 10% less, AND I don't get extorted for $35 at the last second, I will never go to Worth A Shot again. You will notice that the Franzen Security lock is NOT listed on the MDSP list I linked.

The franzen interbore lock is listed as the "interbore gun lock"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom