• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j26sub

May 8, 2018
    Opinions, please...IWB without one chambered or OWB chambered in a Safariland with thumb lever. I'm not looking for opinions about open carry, but my real question is: open with one in the hole or concealed without one in the hole. Ignore if it's a stupid question. I'm not yet comfortable with one in the hole unless I have some type of active retention like the thumb lever. Thanks.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    If there's not one in the chamber, you might as well not carry it. Most citizens have very little warning or reaction time and will not have the luxury of time to load, or even time to simply draw the gun.

If one is not comfortable carrying a loaded firearm, then more training and practice is needed or one should abandon the idea of carrying.

Do yourself a favor and:
    a) Get solid training
    b) Watch a bunch of self defense shootings on LiveLeak and YouTube to see what REALLY happens.

j26sub

May 8, 2018
    Solid advice. Just uber paranoid about NDs now that I have a kid, and maybe a level 2 holster gives me a false sense of safety.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    That’s why I’m a big fan of DA/SA.
    I’ll live with the long trigger pull on the first shot.
    Striker fired guns still wierd me out a little.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I only carry with one in the chamber. The gun I carry most often is a DAO with no safety. I carry it in a pocket holster that completely covers the trigger. Plus, the weight of the DAO trigger mitigates against unintentional operation.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If you dont want one under the hammer, do it old school: 6 or 7 shot magnum revolver with a heavy trigger, and empty chamber under the hammer. A 7 shot magnum gives you 6 chances. A .45 1911 is only 7 but you would need to rack the slide. ETA: modern revolvers have a a hammer block so you dont really need to worry about the hammer, but if you are really anxious you can always do this for a while.

Honestly though...get a holster with good retention and maybe a gun with a decocker, its perfectly safe. Many semi-auto pistols can be decocked to at least half-cocked position.

My sugestion for practice would be to get some whachamacallit snap cap fake bullets and load up. Carry it around for thirty days as practice. After a while youll be comfortable nothing will go wrong.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Carry with one in the chamber is fine as long as you know your weapon. Most AD/ND happen when the operator forgets safety rules. Never place your finger in the trigger guard till ready to destroy a threat or target (which could be one in the same) always have a holster that retains the weapon even if you are doing back flips on the dance floor (soon to be former FBI Agent found out). Making sure your clothing works with your holster so as not to engage the trigger when placing weapon back into holster. It's also very helpful for safety if you always carry the same weapon/holster daily and if you change either weapon or holster you must practice your new system before going out into the world. Carrying a weapon requires you to know your weapon, your holster, and if you don't have it down leave it at home since you'er a threat to yourself and the public in general. This comes from a person who has carried a concealed weapon daily since 1980 with zero AD/NDs. Chris

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    If you are really worried about a ND in a IWB holster, go with a 1911 style between the thumb safety and the grip safety not much chance of a ND.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    If there's not one in the chamber, you might as well not carry it. Most citizens have very little warning or reaction time and will not have the luxury of time to load, or even time to simply draw the gun.

If one is not comfortable carrying a loaded firearm, then more training and practice is needed or one should abandon the idea of carrying.

Do yourself a favor and:
    a) Get solid training
    b) Watch a bunch of self defense shootings on LiveLeak and YouTube to see what REALLY happens.

Total agreement. If you are uncomfortable with a chambered rd yu should spend a lot of time carrying and shooting from the holster, starting with instruction and repetition. I have friends who carry, and i disagree with them, but they insist on a safety on a striker fired. Whatever works, but you would need to practice, practice and practice drawing and chambering. Oh yes, and keep your finger and objects out of the trigger guard until you are ready to intentionally shoot.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not to be facetious to the OP, but it could make for a useful discussion if you could share specific area(s) of concern . Presuming its Not " guns are icky and scary " , obvious choices could be :

1. Spontaneously going bang in the holster
    2. Indaverntly going bang holstering/ unholstering
    3. Renention in the "normal activities" context
    4. Retention in the struggle with BG context
    5. Other ?

( Other than design issues with a few pistol not typically carried ) The correct / wise answer is virtually never unloaded carry , for multiple reasons .

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Old school, revolver. Doubtful you'll ever need more than that, especially if you don't go lookin for trouble. Sure the worst could happen and you need it and use all 5 or 6. They make reloaders and speed strips carry some spare ammo.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Practice and experience. No substitute. No shortcuts.

Everybody is new to it at some point.

The more often you do it, the more competence and confidence you have.

Carrying an “unloaded gun” is IMO foolish.

Know your weapon. Know yourself.

j26sub

May 8, 2018
    Thanks

Bought a nice cya supply co. Holster. Thanks for the newbie advice. I grew up at the range with my old man so I know how to be safe. I've just been harboring illogical thoughts...maybe my wife's anxiety is somewhat contagious. Thanks for the advice that you've likely given hundreds of times before!

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland

Do yourself a favor and:
    a) Get solid training
    I understand your point in most scenarios but have to disagree with not carrying at all if not one in the chamber. This video that many of us already discussed here from this incident last month shows just how affective you can still be as long as you are carrying. With or without one in the chamber. You can clearly see her rack the slide when she pulls the gun from her purse. https://abcnews.go.com/Internationa...le-off-duty-cop-fending-off/story?id=55155848

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I understand your point in most scenarios but have to disagree with not carrying at all if not one in the chamber. This video that many of us already discussed here from this incident last month shows just how affective you can still be as long as you are carrying. With or without one in the chamber. You can clearly see her rack the slide when she pulls the gun from her purse. https://abcnews.go.com/Internationa...le-off-duty-cop-fending-off/story?id=55155848

And one where dad got himself and his son killed trying to chamber a round during a robbery.

http://www.kget.com/news/homicide-n...dly-robbery-at-a-lamont-gas-station/613676554

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I realize the OP’s querie has been satisfied but... Carrying a firearm with a round in chamber is like driving your vehicle. If both are in sound ooerating condition, maintained properly and used enough to maintain proficiency then all should go well. You don’t limit your speed to 10 miles per hour for fear of brake failure do you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom