• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Went down below to check the cabin and they were so thick you need a rain-suit.
    The oldest lad who is no brush popper said we need to get the hell out of here. :lol2: In twenty five years I never thought I would hear him say anything like that.

Bow-hunting for Sika is going to be tough if doesn't dry up at least a little bit.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Took my kid to the park last weekend, and for the first time in a decade I needed bug spray. Mosquitoes usually leave me alone, but I was getting attacked like never before.

BALBZ

bad ass LBZ that is
    Apr 6, 2013
    Eastern Shore MD
    I have heard form a lot of old heads that Vitamin B12 is your best friend for repelling Mosquitoes/bugs. I have no clue if it is true or not but I went and bought some and will be taking it at max dosage until it dries up a bit. My fingers are crossed for good results!

roady

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    Same here in Greensboro. I said a few weeks back when it rained for like 9 days that they were going to get bad. Tonight I was out on the tractor and they about carried me away...

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I always hate to do it, but in a couple of stairwells and other low spots around the house, I'll use some of that Cutter fogger spray. Just a couple blasts seems to eradicate the damn things for a week, at least in those immediate spots. Hate 'em. We used to get eaten alive by the striped Asian flavor (which would come out at all hours of the day), but after those two back to back hard winters we had a couple years ago, I haven't seen a single one. Which pleases me. Now it's just the good old fashioned domestic ones. Find at dispense with any and all standing water spots! That's the key.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    There is no place I know of that is worse than Chincoteague Island for mosquitos, green head flies, and house flies that bite.

Growing up we had a house on the island. Rain or not, if the wind blew a certain direction you'd need a transfusion after an hour outside. If it had recently rained, the wind was of no consequence.

AVON SSS was the standard back then, since DDT, the most effective control, was outlawed in the early 70's.

They sprayed via a pickup truck every night in the season, with limited success.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It's funny. I have yet to see a skeeter. None through Turkey season either. I'm sure it won't be long though.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Standing water is the problem ...

As horse owners, we deal with this all of the time ...

You can treat standing water to control mosquito larvae with a bacterial insecticide called Bti (shorthand for Bacillus thurengiensis israeliensis). This bacterium is highly specific for mosquito and black fly larvae and won't harm plants, fish or other animals that drink the water.

Treat only permanent bodies of water that can't be drained or flushed such as ponds or large fountains. Bti should be applied to water as granules (callled "bits") or pressed cakes (called "dunks") which dissolve releasing the mosquito-attacking bacterium. If dunks are used in horse troughs they should be sunk with a weight to keep them out of reach of animals.

Bti bits and dunks, as well as other mosquito control products, can be found here: Mosquito Control (DoMyOwnPestControl).

bitsanddunks.jpg

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    We bought a couple of Thermacells late in the season last year and I've been using them while working in the yard/garden over the last week with fantastic results. We have some filthy white-trash neighbors with a disused above ground pool that is just a breading pit. Even if that magically disappeared the mosquitoes would still be bad.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    There is no place I know of that is worse than Chincoteague Island for mosquitos, green head flies, and house flies that bite.

Growing up we had a house on the island. Rain or not, if the wind blew a certain direction you'd need a transfusion after an hour outside. If it had recently rained, the wind was of no consequence.

AVON SSS was the standard back then, since DDT, the most effective control, was outlawed in the early 70's.

They sprayed via a pickup truck every night in the season, with limited success.
    Oh yes! I spent a few formative young years in the former navy housing outside NASA Wallops. Those things could drain a small child in minutes. I think that is why they mostly leave me alone decades later. I reached my limit of bites.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    Checked the basement stairwell yesterday to make sure the drain was clear. There's a little leaf litter in the corners. Apparently it's retaining enough water to breed mosquitos - I poked one small pile and several hundred skeeters erupted out of it. I expect the tree line at the back of the homestead will be loaded with the little blood-suckers.

Might need to invest in whatever company manufactures DEET.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    I started seeing them around my property about three weeks ago, but in the past week they've gotten much worse. If I'm outside for more than a minute, I'll hear the bastards buzzing around my ears. Sprays or citronella candles seem to keep them at bay for the most part, but I've still had a few bites so far.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I bought some cedar (and other oils) to spray mainly for ticks but it claims it is good for mosquitoes. If it dries up for a day or three I will get out and spray it. Going to make tick tubes as well with permethrin.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Where I'm at I estimate six weeks of no rain to get right. Standing water remaining in many fields, ditches to capacity it's as bad as I seen it it quite a awhile.
    The boys are heading into some sika woods to tonight to pull some stands.

I cant wait to hear how this goes, probably be a trail of stand parts coming out from the marsh. I told them I was busy and couldn't make it, even to drive the Argo.
    God bless em, they better wear a rain suit and have some "Off" on tap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom