• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I just was approved to shoot steel at AGC. I bought 2 - 6" gongs. My plan is to make frame of 4x4 post and a metal spike at bottom to pound into ground. Attach a 2x4 across the top. Use aluminum carabineer(s) to attach the target to chain. Then attach the chain to the 2x4 with old leather belt via it's buckle.

With that said I need some ideas. I need to make it portable to fit in mid size car that can have the back seat lowered to allow access to trunk. So as far as height I can go to 5" with the posts and 5" in length for the 2x4. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to attach the 2x4 to the 4x4 post(s). Can I use a metal bracket (permanent bracket on the 4x4 then slip in the 2x4) or would this idea be illegal for AGC? Any other ideas?

bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    I use regular saw horse brackets and 2x4's, with a bolt and wingnut through the brackets and top 2x4. They are sturdy when in use and fold up when done. The whole thing is 41/2ft long when folded up. I did add 2 eyescrews to the bottom front legs to drive a metal stake into the ground to hold it down.

You might want to look into heavy duty chains to hold the gongs. I would imagine the leather wouldn't last very long after a few hits.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I use regular saw horse brackets and 2x4's, with a bolt and wingnut through the brackets and top 2x4. They are sturdy when in use and fold up when done. The whole thing is 41/2ft long when folded up. I did add 2 eyescrews to the bottom front legs to drive a metal stake into the ground to hold it down.

You might want to look into heavy duty chains to hold the gongs. I would imagine the leather wouldn't last very long after a few hits.

yeah I was thinking even though I am good shot the shrapnel could cut through the belt. If I can use metal to secure it to the 2x4 I will most certainly do that.

bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    yeah I was thinking even though I am good shot the shrapnel could cut through the belt. If I can use metal to secure it to the 2x4 I will most certainly do that.

Steel chains are allowed to attach the target. As much as you think you won't hit the attachment point you always do. Nothing worse than having your target fall right after the range goes hot. 30min of waiting to rehang your target or shooting at rocks on the berm, lol.

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    Take gloves to handle the frame after shooting, the shrapnel can be like little razor blades stuck in the wood, protect your car also.
    Shooting Targets 7 has good prices on chain mounting kits, If you catch a sale I don't think you can build them any cheaper yourself.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Take gloves to handle the frame after shooting, the shrapnel can be like little razor blades stuck in the wood, protect your car also.
    Shooting Targets 7 has good prices on chain mounting kits, If you catch a sale I don't think you can build them any cheaper yourself.

Good call gloves will be in the trunk permanently...

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Spot on. I'm a cheap bastage and spent an hour on that exact comparison.

Unless you have a much better than retail source for chain and hardware, there's no savings to be had on chain mounting kits over Shooting Targets 7.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Spot on. I'm a cheap bastage and spent an hour on that exact comparison.

Unless you have a much better than retail source for chain and hardware, there's no savings to be had on chain mounting kits over Shooting Targets 7.

I will have to look them up, I got the 2-6" gongs ar500 3/8th" from Amazon fer 14.95 each.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    You can purchase or build a bottom metal base that will accept 2x4's. The rear legs of the base, should be lifted slightly, by placing a 2x4 underneath the bottom rear legs and the steel base anchored down with large spikes, thereby making the gong forward of the frame --- Though you'll still get splatter on the 2x4's; but not as bad if you had didn't.

You a hook an tie a 1/2" rope between the 2x4's, then use two hooked, 12" long rubber bungee cords and hook one of each on a metal hook or rope on the 2x4 and them on a two bolted metal gong plate. Use lock nuts and washers on the plate and attach the two remaining hooks to the bolts on the gong.

I find I save more ammo, by letting a gong stop swinging before I shoot at in again --- Though I just bought a metal gong base, that will accept one vertical 2x4, with metal braces that will accommodate a tilted downward metal gong.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Don't they hang steel from old fire hose at AGC?

I'm not sure about AGC but a member gave me a few rolls of firehose and it does work great but does hold shrapnel.

I also have 300' of 3/8" proof coil chain from a catamaran and as mentioned it swings a bit too much. my $.02

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I'm not sure about AGC but a member gave me a few rolls of firehose and it does work great but does hold shrapnel.

I also have 300' of 3/8" proof coil chain from a catamaran and as mentioned it swings a bit too much. my $.02

I've heard that twisting the chain reduces some of the swing. I haven't tried it yet.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Steel chains are allowed to attach the target. As much as you think you won't hit the attachment point you always do. Nothing worse than having your target fall right after the range goes hot. 30min of waiting to rehang your target or shooting at rocks on the berm, lol.

This can happen with steel chains, because you hit the bolt holding the chain to the gong :innocent0, or with leather or rubber hangars.

If you think you will hit the attachment points, get a bigger gong!

So as far as height I can go to 5" with the posts and 5" in length for the 2x4. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to attach the 2x4 to the 4x4 post(s). Can I use a metal bracket (permanent bracket on the 4x4 then slip in the 2x4) or would this idea be illegal for AGC? Any other ideas?

Many people are going with a setup like this for a 4x4 post: http://www.rogueshootingtargets.com/20-deg-steel-target-holder/

I have seen these cheaper, I cannot recall where offhand.

For a base there a a few options: Sawhorse style brackets; build a frame to out the 4x4 post into (either wood, or PVC pipe). PVC pipe can be snapped together and comes apart, you don't have to glue it.

Eventually we will be able to use the railroad ties, but not quite yet I think.

Also: those aluminum carabineers holding the chain to the gong wont last very long. The hot lead spray will destroy them. :innocent0:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    This can happen with steel chains, because you hit the bolt holind the chain to the gong :innocent0, or with leather or rubber hangars.

If you think you will hit the attachment points, get a bigger gong!

Or get better aim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom