• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I did a cursory search to see if this article had been posted previously on MDS, but the search froze. So I'm apologizing beforehand if there's already a thread, but since this was news to me, I reckon it may be to some of you as well....

"Last Friday (9/6[2013]) the Associated Gun Clubs issued a statement confirming reports that – “on orders from Governor Martin O’Malley – the Maryland State Police (MSP) are sharing the personal information listed on 77R firearms purchase application forms.” The MSP issued a Sept. 7 press release stating, that employees from across state government were assisting in the processing of firearms applications. The release can be found on Delegate Mike Smigiel’s (R – Caroline, Cecil, Kent & Queen Anne Counties) website. MSP removed the statement from its press release page.

For those unfamiliar, a 77R is an authorization for release of information to purchase a regulated firearm.

These forms, which include the applicant’s date of birth, home address and social security numbers have – according to the Associated Gun Clubs – been shared with employees of non-MSP government agencies such as the Department of Human Resources, Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, the Department of Public Safety, Correctional Services of the Department of General Services and the Department of Transportation."
    Maryland State Police Illegally Sharing Firearm Applicants Personal Information

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    Um...I think this is quite old news.

Wasn't there a lawsuit involving this?

Edit: Date of article - 9/11/13

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Um...I think this is quite old news.

It's three year old news at this point.

We raised holy hell about it back then (I even got a story run about it on WYPR) and precisely nothing happened.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If I recall, in an effort to clear paperwork sooner, he brought in more people. People who were not supposed to see the information they were seeing.
    Its not like they were posting all the info on the internet (don't recall this being the case).

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    If I recall, in an effort to clear paperwork sooner, he brought in more people. People who were not supposed to see the information they were seeing.
    Its not like they were posting all the info on the internet (don't recall this being the case).

I believe there was also talk of information being kept on unsecured computers and maybe thumb drives. If I recall correctly the way the state was handling the information wouldn't even have passed HIPAA standards.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    I did a cursory search to see if this article had been posted previously on MDS, but the search froze. So I'm apologizing beforehand if there's already a thread, but since this was news to me, I reckon it may be to some of you as well....

"Last Friday (9/6[2013]) the Associated Gun Clubs issued a statement confirming reports that – “on orders from Governor Martin O’Malley – the Maryland State Police (MSP) are sharing the personal information listed on 77R firearms purchase application forms.” The MSP issued a Sept. 7 press release stating, that employees from across state government were assisting in the processing of firearms applications. The release can be found on Delegate Mike Smigiel’s (R – Caroline, Cecil, Kent & Queen Anne Counties) website. MSP removed the statement from its press release page.

For those unfamiliar, a 77R is an authorization for release of information to purchase a regulated firearm.

These forms, which include the applicant’s date of birth, home address and social security numbers have – according to the Associated Gun Clubs – been shared with employees of non-MSP government agencies such as the Department of Human Resources, Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, the Department of Public Safety, Correctional Services of the Department of General Services and the Department of Transportation."
    Maryland State Police Illegally Sharing Firearm Applicants Personal Information

I think they are also sharing where you live. Take a look at this old thread.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=233963&postcount=10
    SLIDE 24: We are mapping the locations of individuals under protective orders so we can keep firearms away from them.
    To do that wouldn't they also need to have the ownership of firearms in said database?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom