• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RB5082

Mar 6, 2015
    A good friend of mine just retired and is moving from MD to FL. He asked me today my thoughts on the best way to ship his collection to FL. Any thoughts/pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    A good friend of mine just retired and is moving from MD to FL. He asked me today my thoughts on the best way to ship his collection to FL. Any thoughts/pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!
    Lucky guy. I would drive them down myself if I were him. Depends on how large the collection is.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    I've been wondering about this myself for my intended future move.

Was considering POD, or contacting a company that specialized in moving firearms.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Drive it. Movers, including POD cannot carry ammo or handguns. Long guns require the driver to log them by S/N as they are loaded into a heavy crate that gets locked, you sign the inventory and take a copy. Then at destination the crate is unlocked and you witness then sign for each gun by S/N (applies to both movers and POD type moves). I know the handgun bit is in the Brady law, not sure if the long gun bit predates that. Ammo is an insurance issue as are other flammables.

When I moved 10 months ago I learned all about it. The two precision bolt guns went in locked Pelicans, the Beretta 686 locked in its hard case, the Garand in a locked CMP hardcase, the Winchester 1885 in a locked hardcase and everything else taken out of the stocks or split into uppers and lowers. Handguns, lowers and barreled actions wrapped in towels or t-shirts put into a large heavy plastic storage crate. Most of the uppers fit too. That was locked and all of it went in the Explorer, drove it down and left it with my buddy who was already living down here. The rest of the uppers and all my optics came down in the Explorer the day I moved. The stocks got wrapped in towels and boxed as "hardwood stock". 1/4 of the ammo came on the long gun run, 1/2 came on a second run and the last 1/4 came on moving day in the Explorer. Two round trips then a one way to Alabama in 12 days, sucked but my stuff got here safely.

ELCAM

Dec 17, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Drive it. Movers, including POD cannot carry ammo or handguns. Long guns require the driver to log them by S/N as they are loaded into a heavy crate that gets locked, you sign the inventory and take a copy. Then at destination the crate is unlocked and you witness then sign for each gun by S/N (applies to both movers and POD type moves). I know the handgun bit is in the Brady law, not sure if the long gun bit predates that. Ammo is an insurance issue as are other flammables.

When I moved 10 months ago I learned all about it. The two precision bolt guns went in locked Pelicans, the Beretta 686 locked in its hard case, the Garand in a locked CMP hardcase, the Winchester 1885 in a locked hardcase and everything else taken out of the stocks or split into uppers and lowers. Handguns, lowers and barreled actions wrapped in towels or t-shirts put into a large heavy plastic storage crate. Most of the uppers fit too. That was locked and all of it went in the Explorer, drove it down and left it with my buddy who was already living down here. The rest of the uppers and all my optics came down in the Explorer the day I moved. The stocks got wrapped in towels and boxed as "hardwood stock". 1/4 of the ammo came on the long gun run, 1/2 came on a second run and the last 1/4 came on moving day in the Explorer. Two round trips then a one way to Alabama in 12 days, sucked but my stuff got here safely.

For many military moves I have moved all of my firearms and ammo myself. I do not trust movers. I have many friends that have had firearms go missing by the movers.

Rent a storage unit near your new home and unload all your firearms/ammo there until ready to move in.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Rent a storage unit near your new home and unload all your firearms/ammo there until ready to move in.

Of course "don't ask, don't tell" may apply, but most storage facilities specifically prohibit firearms and ammunition. If something happens to them, your insurance won't cover the loss and the feds may come a knockin'.

BW460

Mar 8, 2012
    Also, be aware that if you use a moving company, they are only required to pay you 60 cents per pound if they lose or damage your stuff. Some will let you buy additional insurance but it is expensive. The 60 cents per pound is for everything, regardless of what it is. An average rifle of about 8 pounds would get you a claim of $4.80! I say, move it yourself.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Couple of thoughts...

Might be a good idea to check with both your homeowner's and auto insurance agents to be sure your stuff is covered if something happens.

Also be sure that nothing is visible. No sense tempting a bad guy with your hard earned goodies.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    hypothetically, the company that moved us also moved my safe and let's just say it wasn't empty, with contents secured and wrapped. how much more securely can you move firearms?

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    The last time I moved, the company I work for paid for the move. The moving company either by law or policy (I didn't ask) could not handle any firearms. I moved them myself.

I did find this online...

If SENDER is a PRIVATE INDIVIDUAL (non-licensee):

ANTIQUE GUN (pre-1899) to ANYONE: An individual may use either the Post Office or common carrier.

Handguns: FedEx and UPS both require that handguns (antique or modern) go by a "Next Day" service.

MODERN GUN to another PRIVATE INDIVIDUAL in a DIFFERENT STATE: An individual can NOT ship direct. He must ship to an FFL licensed gun dealer, who will complete the transfer to the recipient in compliance with Federal & state law (usually a "yellow sheet" form 4473 & instant background check).
    If it's a handgun, the dealer must be in the same state as the recipient.

Recommended: See below for how to ship to an FFL Dealer. Most guns shops will receive and transfer firearms for individual customers for a fee.

MODERN GUN to another PRIVATE INDIVIDUAL in the SAME STATE: Shipment is permitted under federal law. Use the methods suggested for shipping to an FFL Dealer, listed below. STATE AND LOCAL RESTRICTIONS MAY APPLY.

MODERN HANDGUN to a licensed FFL DEALER: An individual must use common carrier, cannot use U.S. Post Office. FedEx and UPS require that handguns go by a "Next Day" service. Carrier must be notified that the package contains a firearm.
    Returns -- Note that you do not have to have an FFL dealer ship for you to ship to another FFL dealer. However, if the gun has to be returned to you, it will most likely have to be shipped to an FFL dealer near you, who will make the transfer of your gun back to you, and usually charge a fee for this service.

MODERN LONG GUN to a licensed FFL DEALER: May use U.S. Post Office or a common carrier. Carrier must be notified that the package contains a firearm.

MODERN GUN to YOURSELF in a DIFFERENT STATE:For example, for use in hunting or because you're moving, etc. Permitted under federal law. Use same shipping methods as for shipping to an FFL Dealer, listed above.

CURIO & RELIC firearms to a licensed FFL C&R COLLECTOR: Permitted under federal law. Same shipping methods as for shipping to an FFL Dealer, listed above.
    Recommended: Be sure you can prove the firearm qualifies for Curio & Relic status under federal law. Be sure you are actually shipping to a licensed collector. You may wish to request a signed copy of his FFL for your records of your firearms disposition.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    hypothetically, the company that moved us also moved my safe and let's just say it wasn't empty, with contents secured and wrapped. how much more securely can you move firearms?

Who did you get to move your safe?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    JK Moving, 15 +/- years ago so who knows if things have changed. It really wasn't that big of a deal. Rolled it on a series of PVC pipes. But no stairs or stairways involved going or coming. And obviously the moving truck had a motorized liftgate.

For local moves, Steve's Safes did a move from MD to VA for my BIL. Don't think they go to FLA or anything, but i guess for the right price...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom