• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheRealSundance

AK47..All you need
    Oct 21, 2008
    Just saw this on Facebook.

"Myself as a owner of multiple assault riffles I have had state police stop by my physical address on my id and ask to see the weapon as a check to make sure I still have it in my possession and that it is stored under federal guidelines"

:lol:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    MSP has indeed done spot checks on regulated firearms at people's homes in the past.

Really? I heard them going to people houses when they bought a gun in VA that MD then decided was regulated.

At the time of the so-called DC Sniper attacks in 2002 they were checking on AR15s and running ballistics checks on some of them. There were also the few incidents TheRealSundance refers to. But otherwise I haven't heard of any such visits.

The guy quoted in the original post goes from owning "multiple assault riffles" to having only one, stored according to federal guidelines.

I sure hope the Man doesn't pull a surprise inspection to make sure my riffles are stored per federal guidelines. They may demand I put more cosmoline on them, or seal them in a big can.

garandstoragecan01-249x300.jpg

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    At the time of the so-called DC Sniper attacks in 2002 they were checking on AR15s and running ballistics checks on some of them. There were also the few incidents TheRealSundance refers to. But otherwise I haven't heard of any such visits.

The guy quoted in the original post goes from owning "multiple assault riffles" to having only one, stored according to federal guidelines.

I sure hope the Man doesn't pull a surprise inspection to make sure my riffles are stored per federal guidelines. They may demand I put more cosmoline on them, or seal them in a big can.

garandstoragecan01-249x300.jpg
    Oh hell... I'm screwed.. I got no Cosmoline.. :lol2:

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Really? I heard them going to people houses when they bought a gun in VA that MD then decided was regulated.

In addition they were also "spot checking" people to see if they still had regulated firearms they had previously purchased. Threads are still around here if you want to search, I think this was circa 2010 or so IIRC. They even showed up at one FFL dealer's house asking his wife if she still had a personal gun she had purchased. It was pistols they were looking for at that time though. Seemed to center around female purchasers also. I suspect maybe they were fishing for straw purchasers.

Anyway the whole thing was very odd and seemed to end as mysteriously as it started.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Sometimes local or regional units or groups within the MSP get on some bizarre projects without any authorization. Remember the ammo logs? Those were apparently confined to Southern Maryland and Anne Arundel up to around Bart's in Glen Burnie, and perhaps the Eastern Shore. They seem to have been unknown in the rest of the state. I always thought it looked like some regional commander running his own little extra-legal project.

Oh hell... I'm screwed.. I got no Cosmoline.. :lol2:

You shouldn't say that on an open forum. Better delete your post.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    In addition they were also "spot checking" people to see if they still had regulated firearms they had previously purchased. Threads are still around here if you want to search, I think this was circa 2010 or so IIRC. They even showed up at one FFL dealer's house asking his wife if she still had a personal gun she had purchased. It was pistols they were looking for at that time though. Seemed to center around female purchasers also. I suspect maybe they were fishing for straw purchasers.

Anyway the whole thing was very odd and seemed to end as mysteriously as it started.

This sounds a little...terrifying! Was it randomly knocking on doors? Warrants? Not looking for anything else? I thought that kind of thing couldn't happen in America...

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    I thought that kind of thing couldn't happen in America...

Depends on how it's done. If people are letting troopers in, then it's most likely a consent situation. They can even tell you that they can get a warrant, provided the probable cause exists.

As far as spot checking for regulated firearms, they're required to be registered in Maryland, so they purportedly know what address the guns, or at least the purchaser on the 77r, should be.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I would think a little compliance would go a long way. I would ask the officer to wait by the front door while I retrieve said firearm. "There it is, have a nice day." I don't see why they would be entitled to a full walk through of your home.

I would think a little compliance would go a long way. I would ask the officer to wait by the front door while I retrieve said firearm. "There it is, have a nice day." I don't see why they would be entitled to a full walk through of your home.

THIS.
    As stated before, no on duty LEO's will enter my house unless we called them or if they have a warrant.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    'No officer, you may not enter my property without a warrant. Have a nice day.' (shut the door)

If you want to really get the point across, and don't mind ending up on another list, tell them "Kommandant wir verstecken sich keine juden"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom