Is a HQL needed for a signal pistol, starter pistol, and blank pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The definition of handgun in Md. Code Public Safety 5-101 includes a signal pistol, starter pistol, and blank pistol. Then, Md. Code Public Safety 5-117.1 requires an HQL to transfer a handgun. I did not see any exception where the HQL does not apply to a signal pistol, starter pistol, or blank pistol.

Am I reading this right? Do I need a HQL for a flare gun that comes as part of a boating safety kit?

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I posed the same question a coupla years ago and never got a definitive answer. I rang Mark Bowen, MS Asst State Attorney General, and he felt they are treated the same as standard sidearms, but was unable to find a firm, conclusive answer either.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I posed the same question a coupla years ago and never got a definitive answer. I rang Mark Bowen, MS Asst State Attorney General, and he felt they are treated the same as standard sidearms, but was unable to find a firm, conclusive answer either.

I think the code is pretty conclusive. Lots of people breaking the law out there when it comes to the sale of flare guns, starter pistols, and blank pistols. I did not see an exception to them regarding the HQL. Granted, I did not read through all of the pertinent Public Safety article, but no exception jumped out at me.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Starter pistols that use primers instead of blanks are not considered handguns. They cannot be readily converted to fire normal ammunition.

I have one in the store for sale that has a solid barrel and uses 209 shotshell primers. That is not a handgun and no paperwork needed.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Starter pistols that use primers instead of blanks are not considered handguns. They cannot be readily converted to fire normal ammunition.

I have one in the store for sale that has a solid barrel and uses 209 shotshell primers. That is not a handgun and no paperwork needed.

What makes it so it does not fall under the definition of handgun under Public Safety Section 5-101 and thereby covered by the HQL in Public Safety section 5-117.1?

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    What makes it so it does not fall under the definition of handgun under Public Safety Section 5-101 and thereby covered by the HQL in Public Safety section 5-117.1?

Starter pistols that use blanks and have a hollow barrel are, technically, capable of firing a projectile. Starter pistols that use primers and have solid barrels are not capable of firing a projectile without MAJOR modifications.

[removed incorrect information about flare guns]

This is the one I have in the store: https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product/Competitive-starter-gun-fires-209-shotgun-primers

No paperwork, no background check, just cash and carry like any other item at any retail store.

Last edited:

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    ...And you can go into West Marine or Bass pro and walk right out with one.

We don't sell flare guns, so I really can't speak about that with any authority. We do sell a large number of starter pistols, however, for dog trainers. The one we have has been verified by MSP as it not being a firearm.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Md. PUBLIC SAFETY Code Ann. § 5-102 (2016)
    SUBTITLE 1. REGULATED FIREARMS

This subtitle does not apply to:
    (9) a signal pistol or other visual distress signal that the United States Coast Guard approves as a marine safety device.

Md. CRIMINAL LAW Code Ann. § 4-203 (Wearing, carrying, or transporting handgun) states:

(b) Exceptions. -- This section does not prohibit:
    (8) the carrying or transporting of a signal pistol or other visual distress signal approved by the United States Coast Guard in a vessel on the waterways of the State or, if the signal pistol or other visual distress signal is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case, in a vehicle;

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Here is the issue.

Md. Code Public Safety section 5-101 (definitions)

(n) (1) “Handgun” means a firearm with a barrel less than 16 inches in length.
    (2) “Handgun” includes signal, starter, and blank pistols.

Md. Code Public Safety section 5-117.1

§5–117.1.
    (a) This section does not apply to:
    (1) a licensed firearms manufacturer;
    (2) a law enforcement officer or person who is retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or a local law enforcement agency of the State;
    (3) a member or retired member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard; or
    (4) a person purchasing, renting, or receiving an antique, curio, or relic firearm, as defined in federal law or in determinations published by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
    (b) A dealer or any other person may not sell, rent, or transfer a handgun to a purchaser, lessee, or transferee unless the purchaser, lessee, or transferee presents to the dealer or other person a valid handgun qualification license issued to the purchaser, lessee, or transferee by the Secretary under this section.
    (c) A person may purchase, rent, or receive a handgun only if the person:
    (1) (i) possesses a valid handgun qualification license issued to the person by the Secretary in accordance with this section;
    (ii) possesses valid credentials from a law enforcement agency or retirement credentials from a law enforcement agency;
    (iii) is an active or retired member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard and possesses a valid military identification card; or
    (iv) is purchasing, renting, or receiving an antique, curio, or relic firearm, as defined in federal law or in determinations published by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; and

I see absolutely no exception to the HQL for a signal pistol, starter pistol, or a pistol that shoots blanks. I did not read the entire length of section 117.1, but did a search on "blank", "starter", and "signal" and nothing came up. So, unless a starter pistol, etc. is considered an antique, relic, or curio, it is subject to the HQL as I read this.

Just wondering if anybody knows of any exception in the actual law, other than MSP is not deciding to enforce the law as written.

The more laws our morons representatives pass, the more of us become criminals. I wonder how many flaming liberals broke this law to buy a safety kit for their boat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom