Is a HQL needed for a signal pistol, starter pistol, and blank pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    from what I gather if the signal, starter, or blank pistol, is considered a firearm, and thus a barrel under 16 inches, then it would require the HQL for transfer.

now, if the signaling device is considered a firearm, then it would need an HQL as defined.

I think it would be very interesting if a LARGE retail business were charged with selling a handgun (as defined in MD law) without a HQL, (or a background check if we are going to follow the letter of the law). would said large business, most likely boating related, fight the law, or stop selling said item in MD?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    from what I gather if the signal, starter, or blank pistol, is considered a firearm, and thus a barrel under 16 inches, then it would require the HQL for transfer.

now, if the signaling device is considered a firearm, then it would need an HQL as defined.

I think it would be very interesting if a LARGE retail business were charged with selling a handgun (as defined in MD law) without a HQL, (or a background check if we are going to follow the letter of the law). would said large business, most likely boating related, fight the law, or stop selling said item in MD?

Maybe you get around part of it with the use of firearm in the definition of handgun. Firearm is also defined in Public Safety section 5-101.

(h) (1) “Firearm” means:
    (i) a weapon that expels, is designed to expel, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; or
    (ii) the frame or receiver of such a weapon.
    (2) “Firearm” includes a starter gun.

Seems as though starter pistol is going to be considered a handgun no matter what, since the definition of firearm includes a starter gun. I think a flare gun would pretty much fall under the definition too unless it does not use an explosive to expel the projectile.

How many criminals are being created today at Bass Pro Shop in the marine section?

To think that our legislators are the smart ones among us. Then again, maybe only the dumb people want to run for political office nowadays.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    Maybe you get around part of it with the use of firearm in the definition of handgun. Firearm is also defined in Public Safety section 5-101.

(h) (1) “Firearm” means:
    (i) a weapon that expels, is designed to expel, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; or
    (ii) the frame or receiver of such a weapon.
    (2) “Firearm” includes a starter gun.

Seems as though starter pistol is going to be considered a handgun no matter what, since the definition of firearm includes a starter gun. I think a flare gun would pretty much fall under the definition too unless it does not use an explosive to expel the projectile.

How many criminals are being created today at Bass Pro Shop in the marine section?

To think that our legislators are the smart ones among us. Then again, maybe only the dumb people want to run for political office nowadays.

the goal of big government is to have enough laws so EVERY person is committing a crime at all times. that allows the laws to be enforced as seen fit by the ruling authority... aka those individuals in the government who decide what is enforced.

in our case the MSP seems to make the rules up as they go. enforcing the law as THEY interpret the law, not as the law is written. last time I checked the law enforcement agency isn't the one in charge of interpreting the law, but enforcing it.

I think this has legs as far as getting the MSP or the legislature (who definitely controls the MSP) to actually write good laws, instead of ambiguous laws that they will enforce based on what they think the intent of the law is, not the letter of the law.

agree with the law, or not, the firearms laws in this state are poorly written, but I believe, on purpose, so the MSP can enforce the law the legislators want the law enforced, while also leaving the law vague so it is MORE difficult to challenge in court.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    the goal of big government is to have enough laws so EVERY person is committing a crime at all times.

agree with the law, or not, the firearms laws in this state are poorly written, but I believe, on purpose, so the MSP can enforce the law the legislators want the law enforced, while also leaving the law vague so it is MORE difficult to challenge in court.

You need to go to Annapolis and meet these people you're giving them much more credit than they deserve

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Flare guns are not firearms and therefore no NICS required, so I can't see how MSP paperwork would be required. Although as incompetent as Maryland lawmakers are I would not be surprised if BB guns, toy guns, pop tarts eaten into gun shapes, etc. would require an HQL.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    Flare guns are not firearms and therefore no NICS required, so I can't see how MSP paperwork would be required. Although as incompetent as Maryland lawmakers are I would not be surprised if BB guns, toy guns, pop tarts eaten into gun shapes, etc. would require an HQL.

(i) a weapon that expels, is designed to expel, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive.

idk about you, but the flares I have seen and operated meet this definition... other than the word weapon... but if I pointed a flare gun in the direction of a person and shot it off, I would be using it as a weapon...

kinda like the sig brace... it isn't designed to be a shoulder stock... however it is easy to readily convert it to a shoulder stock... just by shouldering it.

same definition could apply... instead of pointing it at the sky, you point it at a person... non weapon to weapon.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

Air powered rifles and pistols are available for sale all day long at Walmart and DSG stores all over the state. NO HQL required. I am fairly certain that this would not be the case if in fact the state DID require otherwise. Thankfully the tards have not reached as far here as they have in NJ... :sad20:

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Flare guns (signaling devices) are available for purchase at gun shows and even mail order without any paperwork.

However, for purposes of TRANSPORT in your vehicle, they fall under handgun rules.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Here is the issue.

Md. Code Public Safety section 5-101 (definitions)

(n) (1) “Handgun” means a firearm with a barrel less than 16 inches in length.

(2) “Handgun” includes signal, starter, and blank pistols.

Md. Code Public Safety section 5-117.1

§5–117.1.

(a) This section does not apply to:

(1) a licensed firearms manufacturer;

(2) a law enforcement officer or person who is retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or a local law enforcement agency of the State;

(3) a member or retired member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard; or

(4) a person purchasing, renting, or receiving an antique, curio, or relic firearm, as defined in federal law or in determinations published by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

(b) A dealer or any other person may not sell, rent, or transfer a handgun to a purchaser, lessee, or transferee unless the purchaser, lessee, or transferee presents to the dealer or other person a valid handgun qualification license issued to the purchaser, lessee, or transferee by the Secretary under this section.

(c) A person may purchase, rent, or receive a handgun only if the person:

(1) (i) possesses a valid handgun qualification license issued to the person by the Secretary in accordance with this section;

(ii) possesses valid credentials from a law enforcement agency or retirement credentials from a law enforcement agency;

(iii) is an active or retired member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard and possesses a valid military identification card; or

(iv) is purchasing, renting, or receiving an antique, curio, or relic firearm, as defined in federal law or in determinations published by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; and

I see absolutely no exception to the HQL for a signal pistol, starter pistol, or a pistol that shoots blanks. I did not read the entire length of section 117.1, but did a search on "blank", "starter", and "signal" and nothing came up. So, unless a starter pistol, etc. is considered an antique, relic, or curio, it is subject to the HQL as I read this.

Just wondering if anybody knows of any exception in the actual law, other than MSP is not deciding to enforce the law as written.

The more laws our morons representatives pass, the more of us become criminals. I wonder how many flaming liberals broke this law to buy a safety kit for their boat.

Probably none. Liberals after all believe their safety is someone else's responsibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom