• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If the ordinance was passed after 1/1/1985 State preemption kicks in.

The last amendment on that ordinance was 2001, leaving the question "when was the ordinance enacted/codified?"

IANAL

But other locales DO have intact restriction, correct? And it applies to even to permit holders.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    GOOD WORK!!

Quick question -- since this is a per-premption ordnance, does this mean that even someone who holds a carry permit can't carry? I hope there is something that says that you can carry if you have a permit.

There you go JM, yes, there are "traps" where your MD CCW permit is null and void

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Mark75H said:
    There you go JM, yes, there are "traps" where your MD CCW permit is null and void

Remember, everything is legal until you get caught :innocent0

Otherwise, you become the test case :)

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    OBTW

Once the fourth circuit confirms "bear" is a fundamental right, the municipalities may fund your retirement. :D

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    OBTW

Once the fourth circuit confirms "bear" is a fundamental right, the municipalities may fund your retirement. :D

I'd put money on it (Woolard) not going that far. I would love to see you make a go as the test case ... I'd be behind you all the way ... way behind :lol2:

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Thanks Inigoes! It is helpful to navigate the booby traps out there.

Frederick

(e)

Dangerous Weapons. Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, a person may not carry a dangerous weapon on any public way, sidewalk, or other public property within five hundred (500) feet of an event [parade, etc] permitted pursuant to this Chapter. Law enforcement officers, members of the Armed Forces and National Guard, and uniformed members of an honor guard of a recognized civic or fraternal organization may carry dangerous weapons provided that such persons are acting lawfully.

(Ord. No. G-10-06, § I, 5-6-10)

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Can a local law preempt State law? Is is reasonable that I am given a permit and expected to check every local ordnance to see if I can carry there?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    see MD 4-209.

Only if the ordinance exsited before 1-1-85 is it legal as I interpret all this

Esq will rule on this post.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    see MD 4-209.

Only if the ordinance exsited before 1-1-85 is it legal as I interpret all this

Esq will rule on this post.

Correct, but with exceptions. So you need to check when the ordinance was enacted and whether the ordinance falls within the exceptions where the municipality is still entitled to regulate. Here is the state preemption statute in toto:

Current selection§ 4-209. Regulation of weapons and ammunition

State preemption

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, the State preempts the right of a county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district to regulate the purchase, sale, taxation, transfer, manufacture, repair, ownership, possession, and transportation of:

(1) a handgun, rifle, or shotgun; and

(2) ammunition for and components of a handgun, rifle, or shotgun.

Exceptions

(b)(1) A county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may regulate the purchase, sale, transfer, ownership, possession, and transportation of the items listed in subsection (a) of this section:

(i) with respect to minors;

(ii) with respect to law enforcement officials of the subdivision; and

(iii) except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, within 100 yards of or in a park, church, school, public building, and other place of public assembly.

(2) A county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may not prohibit the teaching of or training in firearms safety, or other educational or sporting use of the items listed in subsection (a) of this section.

(3) A county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may not prohibit the transportation of an item listed in subsection (a) of this section by a person who is carrying a court order requiring the surrender of the item, if:

(i) the handgun, rifle, or shotgun is unloaded;

(ii) the person has notified the law enforcement unit, barracks, or station that the item is being transported in accordance with the court order; and

(iii) the person transports the item directly to the law enforcement unit, barracks, or station.

Preexisting local laws

(c) To the extent that a local law does not create an inconsistency with this section or expand existing regulatory control, a county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may exercise its existing authority to amend any local law that existed on or before December 31, 1984.

Discharge of firearms

(d)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, in accordance with law, a county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may regulate the discharge of handguns, rifles, and shotguns.

(2) A county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may not prohibit the discharge of firearms at established ranges.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Can a local law preempt State law? Is is reasonable that I am given a permit and expected to check every local ordnance to see if I can carry there?

Yes, a caveat was carved out for any law that existed before 1/1/1985 in the Maryland Preemption law.

One of the next hurdles on the radar is attacking the unconstituional laws presented by the municipalities. :)

Edit: After the Woollard decision becomes firm (as in MD exhausted it's appeals). People should go to the offending town meetings and raise the issue to have the laws changed, before the municipilaty starts paying big bucks in civil rights suits.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Yes, a caveat was carved out for any law that existed before 1/1/1985 in the Maryland Preemption law.

One of the next hurdles on the radar is attacking the unconstituional laws presented by the municipalities. :)

Edit: After the Woollard decision becomes firm (as in MD exhausted it's appeals). People should go to the offending town meetings and raise the issue to have the laws changed, before the municipilaty starts paying big bucks in civil rights suits.

TPM restrictions will be tougher to challenge under the 2A. Best approach is to keep them from being enacted in the first place. That means supporting legislative watchdogs and getting active on that front.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    TPM restrictions will be tougher to challenge under the 2A. Best approach is to keep them from being enacted in the first place. That means supporting legislative watchdogs and getting active on that front.

Agreed, although the local laws pointed out in the municipalities of Leonardtown, Rockville, Baltimore, etc...

are not TPM, just outright bans with no exceptions/exemptions.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The State/County/Municipality will have to prove harm won't they? They haven't been doing a very good job with that so far.......

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Agreed, although the local laws pointed out in the municipalities of Leonardtown, Rockville, Baltimore, etc...

are not TPM, just outright bans with no exceptions/exemptions.

True, the bans will fall for permit holders. I am thinking of TPM stuff like parades (Frederick)

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    The State/County/Municipality will have to prove harm won't they? They haven't been doing a very good job with that so far.......

It will be the familar two step and you will have to deal with the "presumptively constitutional" language in Heller. This will have to be litigated.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    It will be the familar two step and you will have to deal with the "presumptively constitutional" language in Heller. This will have to be litigated.

Once outside the home (aka "bear") is accepted law in the 4th circuit.

A way to avoid litigation (lawyers do not like to hear this) and the cheapest solution, raise the issue at a municipal meeting. If the municipality does not have the $$$ to fight a court case, and pay 1983/1988 civil rights fees, they can always amend their code to TPM.

Otherwise, the municipality will be forced to litigate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom