• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If he is pretty sure he bought a banned rifle, putting a new barrel on it will not save any headache, even if that were legal. Which it isnt in all likelihood. Both the FFL and the buyer are in hot water. MDSP could theoretically show up on his (her) doorstep and take the rifle. That happened a few years ago with some rifles sold out of a VA FFL. ATF audited the shop, and MDSP showed up. MDSP could take the rifle, then the judge would sort out the legality of the barrel swap, some years later. The legal fees will far outstrip the value of the rifle. Best case, MDSP makes you do a 77r, but that is questionable since 77r only applies to legal, regulated, firearms. FFL does not want to be on the hook for selling a banned rifle either. Puts their license potentially at risk. My 0.02, go back to the FFL. Maybe there is more to the story.

NOT true.

MSP showed up and asked the owner if they would like to register the rifle in MD. They did not take them.

Of course, having a couple of uniformed officers on your doorstep is a bit intimidating.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I found a thousand dollars in an envelope. There was no identification as to whose it was and no one saw me find it. Should I start poking around and potentially risk losing it??

The oft seen stupidity of my fellow man astounds me.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    NOT true.

MSP showed up and asked the owner if they would like to register the rifle in MD. They did not take them.

Of course, having a couple of uniformed officers on your doorstep is a bit intimidating.

poorly worded... I did not mean MDSP took the rifles, I meant that they showed up on the doorstep. I question how they can make you register a rifle that they also think is banned. They cannot make you incriminate yourself either. Reality is: if they show up, all the options are bad. Some are simply less bad than others.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    If it's stupidity to protect myself legally by simply calling the FFL and ensuring my firearm isn't prohibited, color me stupid.

It is stupid to not properly educate yourself prior to purchasing something. Don't rely on others to know or not make mistakes. Rely on yourself and know what you are doing prior to doing it. To take action before knowing exactly what you are doing is foolish.

In my experience, FFL's will err on the side of caution every single time. That's what the MSP wants and it buys into the liberal agenda. Don't put yourself in a position where you have to ask permission AFTER the fact. That's a surefire recipe for heartache. Never forget, YOU own government NOT the other way around. Best of luck pal.

RedTide

The Water's Fine
    Jul 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    It is stupid to not properly educate yourself prior to purchasing something. Don't rely on others to know or not make mistakes. Rely on yourself and know what you are doing prior to doing it. To take action before knowing exactly what you are doing is foolish.

Fair enough, but that's not what your previous post talked about. It talked about keeping a found envelope, not doing your due diligence before you keep the money.

FWIW, of course I agree that the responsible thing to do is know what you're getting into before you're knee deep. But per the OP's story, that didn't happen and the damage is done. Or not, but the purchaser isn't sure. Rather than sit on a firearm I am apprehensive about taking to the range, I would get on the phone with the FFL and make sure my purchase was good to go. It's easy enough to rectify and end up with a lawful firearm, either way. You might feel differently, which is fine.

Just to clarify, I am not the person OP is talking about.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

In my experience, FFL's will err on the side of caution every single time. That's what the MSP wants and it buys into the liberal agenda. Don't put yourself in a position where you have to ask permission AFTER the fact. That's a surefire recipe for heartache. Never forget, YOU own government NOT the other way around. Best of luck pal.

In fairness, rules are vague and even "experts" get tripped up. There have been a number of guns put on the banned list and taken off. MDSP does not have an armorer check the rifles for bona fide interchangeability with the 88 named rifles, they simply apply Google fu.

The most definitive guidance we have is that an HBAR is "marked or marketed" as a heavy barrel - and what is on the website is not law. What is an HBAR? There have been several interpretations of that. Plus. we dont really know all the facts here. For the FFL swapped barrels.

Before we chide people, remember Gun laws in Maryland are 5 parts paranoia, 12 parts retarded, and topped with with a heavy helping of vague. Whatever you think you know, you probably dont.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    If he is pretty sure he bought a banned rifle, putting a new barrel on it will not save any headache, even if that were legal. Which it isnt in all likelihood. Both the FFL and the buyer are in hot water. MDSP could theoretically show up on his (her) doorstep and take the rifle. That happened a few years ago with some rifles sold out of a VA FFL. ATF audited the shop, and MDSP showed up. MDSP could take the rifle, then the judge would sort out the legality of the barrel swap, some years later. The legal fees will far outstrip the value of the rifle. Best case, MDSP makes you do a 77r, but that is questionable since 77r only applies to legal, regulated, firearms. FFL does not want to be on the hook for selling a banned rifle either. Puts their license potentially at risk. My 0.02, go back to the FFL. Maybe there is more to the story.

Yeah, the OP's friend should go and talk to an attorney about this. Simply put, the OP's friend and the FFL broke the law when this rifle was sold/transferred to the OP's friend. Making a mistake and/or not being familiar with the law is not an excuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom