How to Buy an AR at Chantilly Gun Show and bring home?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I am not the sharpest tool in the shed....but why wouldn't you just buy the lower and build whatever upper you want? Not trying to get around the law, just curious.

Lowers must be purchased in the state of the buyers residence.

Stripped lowers are treated like handguns in MD. HQL and 7 day wait. Full rifles are C&C as long as they are MD compliant.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    No.. An HQL is not required to purchase a lower, as it's not a handgun. It is treated as a regulated firearm however.

In fact after purchase, the lower can be used to get the training exemption for the HQL, as it's a regulated firearm.

Statute 5-117.1

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    I am not the sharpest tool in the shed....but why wouldn't you just buy the lower and build whatever upper you want? Not trying to get around the law, just curious.

Because even if you build one, it has to comply with current MD law, so there is no advantage to building unless you just enjoy it.

Most people would rather just buy a decent rifle ready to go out of the box, plus everything is manufactured and covered by one source. Not exactly the same but like buying a car, even if you could save money by going to the junk yard, buying parts and building it yourself, most people don't do it unless they simply enjoy the build.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    When I went to the nations Gun show in January, I was shocked to see vendors with signs saying "Maryland Legal". Wasn't anything I wanted, but I was impressed that they made the effort.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    When I went to the nations Gun show in January, I was shocked to see vendors with signs saying "Maryland Legal". Wasn't anything I wanted, but I was impressed that they made the effort.

Sales are down you gotta find customer somewhere

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Sales are down you gotta find customer somewhere

And - they even were offering AR's. So I think you can find AR's at the Nation's Gun Show cash and carry. Now, are you going to find good deal there? Are you going to find what you want? You won't have as many choices as a VA resident obviously.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    No.. An HQL is not required to purchase a lower, as it's not a handgun. It is treated as a regulated firearm however.

In fact after purchase, the lower can be used to get the training exemption for the HQL, as it's a regulated firearm.

Statute 5-117.1

Thanks for the correction. Hey I was close though...:innocent0

Shooter_Drew

Feb 2, 2018
    Don’t know where you are located and what AR your looking for BUT a lot of people would recommend this shop in Maryland! https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=219889
    They always have great deals on AR’s but if you want high capacity mags you would need to go out of state.

Funny you post a link to that ad because I really considering a Ruger AR-556 MPR #8514 it has alot of the features I woukd probably upgrade to on my first rifle.

The MPR model has:

Standard Direct Impingement
    Upgraded trigger
    Full Float Barrel
    Magpul furniture
    Optic ready

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Funny you post a link to that ad because I really considering a Ruger AR-556 MPR #8514 it has alot of the features I woukd probably upgrade to on my first rifle.

The MPR model has:

Standard Direct Impingement
    Upgraded trigger
    Full Float Barrel
    Magpul furniture
    Optic ready

I not sure but is the barrel a HBAR? To be legal in Maryland it must be marked HBAR which stands for Heavy Barrel.

Shooter_Drew

Feb 2, 2018
    The barrel doesn't necessarily have to be stamped HBAR but at a minimum it has to be designated by the manufacturer as a heavy barrel. I already checked and this model is MD compliant, not on the MSP banned list under the Ruger tab and is on shelves at a few local gun shops

snakep

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Behind enemy lines...
    Got it now, I'll just make sure they knkw I am a MD resident before I ever start talking details. If they scoff I'll knkw it won't happen.

One last question as this would be my first AR, I'm looking for somewhat basic to start out with.

MD compliant = HBAR and 16" barrel anything else?

Why don’t you just buy an hbar from a seller in MD?

Shooter_Drew

Feb 2, 2018
    I may just do that, I've seen the Ruger AR-556 MPR on the rack at one or two shops I've been to. Price is pretty good (around $100 less than MSRP) depending what I see at the show I'll probably just come home and grab that one. I do know I want a different stock so I'll look for one, some mags, ammo and probably some pickles lol

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The seller usually in the booth next to MSI booth ( Tactical Coating Systems of Springfield Va ) is an 007 , and at least half of his builds are Md compliant. And very reasonable and competitive prices .

( Implied plug - Stop and visit at the MSI booth while you're there . Usually left hand wall of main room .)

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    In VA you need two forms of ID...each with your address and at least one government supplied like a drivers license. I don't know whether a MD FFL has to abide by that but take the second ID...car registration will do.

As long as the rifle in question is not specifically banned on the MSP website you're good to go. An AR with a full-length heavy barrel is fine...skinny barrel is a no-no. Being it's VA...buy as many Standard capacity magazines as you want and bring them back with you.

FIFY

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Do what you want, buy what you want, where you want.

However, it is you civic duty as a (soon to be) Maryland AR owner, to legally obtain standard capacity magazines. See if you can get a deal on 10, that's a good place to START. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom