• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    It still uses .223 & 5.56 HS gauges. The reamer they use is different to make cleaner Chamber finishes. They also have some changes to the throat as many other Chambers do such as CLE and Wylde.

Isn't the Go gauge the same for 223, 5.56, and 223 Wylde, as well as the goofy Noveske variant? Isn't it the Field and No Go gauges that differ?

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    In one of the build classes last year, the member sitting to my right had a short barrel Noveske and it, too failed the 5.56 go. It was stamped 5.56. I forgot what Chad did or did not do. My damn 300 CMMG complete upper was a shit show and had a lot of work done to it all the way to the bolt face. Smh. But! Chad is the man and made it right.

You do expect more from supposed quality places. Do not know what makes arms manufacturers any different than other industries that they can deliver crap sandwiches sometimes.

DreadPirate, do not be hard on yourself with shoulda woulda coulda. You are good my friend. This is why I still take Chad’s courses. Need that expert hands and eyes sometimes.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Letter sent to Noveske, waiting on a response:
    --------------------------
    I purchased a 16" Lo-Pro Gas Block Barrel, 556 barrel, on or about Nov 28, 2017. It also came with a Noveske bolt. I live in xxx, Maryland. This past Saturday, I assembled it into an upper receiver with a qualified gunsmith. The gunsmith checked the headspace and discovered it would not close on a 223 or 5.56 Go gauge. The gun smith hand reamed the barrel so it would just pass. I am extremely disappointed that a barrel that cost this much money would not be checked for headspace with your own bolt before leaving your facility. I am an avid shooter and own several AR 15's. Based on this experience, I will not be purchasing another Noveske barrel.

signed
    ------------------------

Last edited:

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Here's another lesson learned; check your new barrels immediately after you receive them. Noveske for example has this policy: "Order discrepancies must be reported within 30 days of Invoice." I know a lot of guys order parts and wait until they get everything together before building their upper; which makes perfect sense. But you may want to gauge your barrels the day they arrive :)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    OK, I remember now, we did discuss this during the class. So this barrel was so tight it would not pass a 223 gauge.

Correct. They claim the make their specs 10thou tighter than other manufacturers. It's in one of the videos they posted.

I have been down this road with them. In the past for those I helped, they would not do anything. Even if the barrel does not shoot. They didn't build it will be their answer and they cant do an accuracy test.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Shot the new barrel at the range today. 7 shot groups of 3 rounds at 100 yards varied from 5/8" to 2.25" If I toss the 2.25" group and average the rest, I get 1.125". Not bad but I was hoping for MOA. However, considering the barrel would not even pass go gauge, I would call it perfectly acceptable. I had another build from the SOTAR build class that will make a 5 shot group at 100 yards you can lay a nickel on; I guess that is a hard act to follow. I'll declare victory and move on.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Shot the new barrel at the range today. 7 shot groups of 3 rounds at 100 yards varied from 5/8" to 2.25" If I toss the 2.25" group and average the rest, I get 1.125". Not bad but I was hoping for MOA. However, considering the barrel would not even pass go gauge, I would call it perfectly acceptable. I had another build from the SOTAR build class that will make a 5 shot group at 100 yards you can lay a nickel on; I guess that is a hard act to follow. I'll declare victory and move on.

We can do other things as I mentioned to try and shrink the groups. The gas block and muzzle device can be a cause. You can remove the muzzle device and see if accuracy changes.

No matter what, I'm here to assist however I can.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Ammo?

Not going to cover for Pac-Nor/Noveske if it's a shit barrel, just curious as to what you were running down the bore.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    PMC X-TAC green tip 62 grain 5.56

Between the inconsistency of the construction of the round itself, and the swings in velocity from shot to shot, 2.25" and better, actually isn't bad for that round.

Hate to say it, but standard 55gr FMJ or even some of the cheaper 69gr rounds, would likely smoke those 62gr rounds groupings.

Based off my own experience with 62gr Penetrators, I'd save those for a 'rainy day', and do grouping testing with something a little more consistent.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Between the inconsistency of the construction of the round itself, and the swings in velocity from shot to shot, 2.25" and better, actually isn't bad for that round.

Hate to say it, but standard 55gr FMJ or even some of the cheaper 69gr rounds, would likely smoke those 62gr rounds groupings.

Based off my own experience with 62gr Penetrators, I'd save those for a 'rainy day', and do grouping testing with something a little more consistent.

Agree. Although you had an issue with the barrel. It is a very accurate tube. Expect to tighten that group up with better ,heavier, rounds. 1/7 twist correct?

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Ohh - you know those were the only 5.56 rounds I had on hand and I was not thinking about the fact they are steel tipped and designed more for penetration than accuracy. Here is a reference from shooting illustrated that shows some data, and it looks like the PMC X-Tac Green Tip will not produce MOA groups. They got an average group size of 1.1" That's very close to what I got. So I feel a lot better now.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2012/9/4/green-tip-accuracy-test/

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I also want to reiterate what Noveske has on their website when buying the bolt to go along with the barrel:

"You can add a headspaced bolt to your barrel for $65, click here"

What a waste of $65.

OBTW - I never heard back from them.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    After John passed, I backed away from spending my money with them. My only experience was with their 300BLK barrels, and I can say those were great out of the box.

But try that barrel with some other brands/weights of ammo, it should be a good shooting tube - even if it did have to be touched up (my Shilen barrel has been amazing, before and after they recut the chamber).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom