Is Your Rifle Inventory Expanding or has It Topped Out?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is your rifle inventory expanding or has It topped out?

• Expanding; at least for the foreseeable future.

Votes: 102 67.1%
    • Staying about the same; I get rid of rifles I don't use when I buy others.

Votes: 36 23.7%
    • Downsizing; I don't need so many rifles right now.

Votes: 14 9.2%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm really only interested in getting one or two more rifles. I still have a few more firearms on my hit list, they're mostly handguns. I still want a 404 Jeffries or 416 Rigby rifle. And a 10mm PCC.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If you aren't adding now when the prices are the cheapest they will ever be, I don't see when you would.

I've got the ARs covered (9), I need to get spare parts for them. I'll wait a little longer for stuff like BCGs and LPKs. I'm buying reloading components more than anything else.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I'm really only interested in getting one or two more rifles. I still have a few more firearms on my hit list, they're mostly handguns. I still want a 404 Jeffries or 416 Rigby rifle. And a 10mm PCC.

I feel the same way most of the time. Like right now, I can't think of another handgun I'd want to buy other than the MP5. But then I see a S&W 629 Classic and I get the urge again. I'm selective right now, but it doesn't take much to get me in the buying mode.

I am buying a lot of ammo right now. I just bought 1000 rounds of 308 168gr BT and 800 rounds of 7.62x51 149gr.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    The problem I'm having is that most of what I'm interested in isn't the cheap stuff and they're still expensive. This POF MP5 pistol I'm contemplating hasn't gone down much from the 2017 price tag.

What I can't believe is the cost of the Poly Tech M14 rifles. You can't find one for under $1000 and that's bone stock. I saw one on another forum. He was selling one with less done to it than mine but he was selling it with 3 different stocks. He wants $1750 for it. WOW.

The only thing I personally see going down in price are the AR15 rifles. I attribute that to the gluttony of rifles and parts being manufactured before the election in preparation of a Hillary Clinton win.

Who would have thought that one day, you'd see $500 AR15 rifles and $1000+ AK rifles. Back in the day, a nice AK style rifle was selling for $200 when the AR15 rifles were selling for $600 or more.

It's a strange world we live in......
    My dad noticed at Timonium, Hi Point prices have been creeping up...and are very near to entry level AR prices :crazy:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    The problem I'm having is that most of what I'm interested in isn't the cheap stuff and they're expensive.

That's exactly my problem too! :lol2:

Having Hooligan friends who introduce me to all sorts of new stuff is never ending. ;)
    • When someone like 4570 mentor's me on shooting BP, I listen and learn-> Then I add some toys to my collection.
    • When (all too often) "deals" pop up locally, I've been known to pounce.
    • Often that leads to the need to reload yet another caliber.
    • I've finally learned to accept that collecting is an ongoing activity that never ends. Once it stops, it's simply a collection.

Two last points:

• When your trusted friends are both knowledgeable and enablers, you can achieve new horizons. Thanks to one particular Hooligan, I'm scheming on a new toy that should be a star at Hooligan shoots this coming spring. (:secret: That "future" is between him and me for now... )
    • Don't be surprised when some "Hooligan-Built" M1 Garands appear at Hooligan shoots late this summer...

Collecting? It NEVER stops!

:innocent0

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I try my best never to sell a damn thing

I wish I never sold anything, but things get stale and my interest goes back and forth. I would need a small house to store all of the firearms I've bought over the years.

I guess I have more dollars than sense.......:D

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

If I had a place locally to shoot my 50 bmg, I'd invite you out to shoot it. However, I have nothing close I've got to go out of state to shoot it.

All you have to do is shoot one and you'll be hooked. They are the coolest firearm I've ever owned.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    If I had a place locally to shoot my 50 bmg, I'd invite you out to shoot it. However, I have nothing close I've got to go out of state to shoot it.

All you have to do is shoot one and you'll be hooked. They are the coolest firearm I've ever owned.

I've got enough of a range and backstop on my property in WV. That's probably where I will have to play.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    This thread reminds me that I never did pickup that Garand I was going to buy with the money I set aside for the CMP Carbines.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Talk about rifles at the high end. This M1A just sold for $3000. $3000 for a rifle made in 1976. I can't believe it sold for that much.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/735692711

I was shocked when it hit $2000. I was flabbergasted when it hit $2500. I was wishing I'd kept my 1979 M1A when it hit $3000.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have decided that my rifles are tools, not toys. When I need something to do a specific job, I get a new tool. Or used tool, whatever the case may be. And there are a lot of different sizes that one might need. Not everything is 9/16 and 1/2". Sometimes you need a 3/4" and sometimes you need a 1/4". I think that it is essential to have ALL of the tools one might need for WHATEVER comes ones way. Sometimes you just need a BIG hammer and sometimes you need precision screwdrivers. (45-70/.22) All I can say is that it would behoove us all to continue to grow our toolboxes until it overflows. Then buy a bigger safe, uh....toolbox!!!

I mean, sometimes I have a couple of 11mm box end wrenches because I know I have one, but damned if I know where my wife put it. Or 6 philips head screw drivers in the same size, because when I can’t find 4, I can at least find the 5th and the 6th is a backup.

We are still taking about tools, right?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Somewhere in between staying and expanding. No intent to sell, but need a new safe before I can buy much else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom