• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    There is another option. I do not recommend it but it is about half the price. You get about half the trigger too.

The Double Tap trigger works similar to the Franklin Binary except there is no single fire selector position. It only has safe, and "pull-release" fire positions. No "pull fire only" or normal position.

It is very dangerous if the shooter is unaware of the selector positions.

The advantage of this trigger is it is only $200.

I do not own one but if you want to be fully informed, I felt I had to at least mention it.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    IMO, Franklin is to be avoided. Fostec Echo II is the one to get. Binary Triggers withour a safety sear are dangerous (Franklin), using one in a blowback is tempting fate.

Chad, I'm glad you chimed in, I value your judgement. Can you explain how the Franklin is different then the Fostech & how using one in a blowback is to be avoided?

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Chad, I'm glad you chimed in, I value your judgement. Can you explain how the Franklin is different then the Fostech & how using one in a blowback is to be avoided?

I went over this with Chad a while back. Maybe I can save him some typing by pasting part of our conversation here.......

ME -
    Wanted to let you know I appreciate you taking the time to go over the issue several times with me. I think I'm having trouble with the concept because I don't really understand the mechanics of how the whole firing process works. I'm trying though.

To simplify it in my head I'm looking at it from the perspective of a double action revolver where the cylinder/hammer/trigger are all connected and work together to be timed to have the hammer fall only after the cylinder is in the correct position. But if you were to install a trigger (like the binary) that acted independently, unless it had a safety to prevent it you could get out of sync and drop the hammer before the cylinder was in position.

Please lmk if I'm not on the right track.

CHAD -
    That is a good analogy. A revolver has to be timed right to fire and if timing is off they can misfire and shave projectiles.

If it were possible to a cyinder to fire and wasnt in the 12oclock position, it would be bad and that is what binary triggers without a safety sear allow on blocback AR's. The Franklin has no safety sear. The cho does.

In order for the echo to work properly with the safety sear you have to have an M16 compatible bolt carrier.

This is a pretty technical topic, but I try to mention it because it can be a damgerous one if one is not aware of the risks in certain designs.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I went over this with Chad a while back. Maybe I can save him some typing by pasting part of our conversation here.......

CHAD -
    In order for the echo to work properly with the safety sear you have to have an M16 compatible bolt carrier.

Interesting, did not know that.

So without the proper carrier it's not much different than the Franklin in terms of safety?

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    doesnt the echo need the lower shelf in the receiver milled out?
    the franklin doesnt.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    doesnt the echo need the lower shelf in the receiver milled out?
    the franklin doesnt.

Gen 2 triggers no longer ship with the proprietary bolt carrier.
    The part below is for those who bought the original echo trigger.

https://fostech.us/accessories/echo-ar-ii-trigger-accessories/fostech-echo-trigger-lock.html

The Echo trigger lock is a replacement trigger lock for the Original Echo Triggers. This trigger lock will allow the original Echo Triggers to be able to be used with a standard AR-15 full auto carrier. The original Echo triggers required a proprietary bolt carrier group.
    $25 + shipping

If running a 22 bolt on a Fostech you will need this:
    https://fostech.us/accessories/echo...p-kit-for-cmmg-22-conversions-and-uppers.html
    -not needed on a Franklin Binary trigger for it to work.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Gen 2 triggers no longer ship with the proprietary bolt carrier.
    The part below is for those who bought the original echo trigger.

https://fostech.us/accessories/echo-ar-ii-trigger-accessories/fostech-echo-trigger-lock.html

The Echo trigger lock is a replacement trigger lock for the Original Echo Triggers. This trigger lock will allow the original Echo Triggers to be able to be used with a standard AR-15 full auto carrier. The original Echo triggers required a proprietary bolt carrier group.
    $25 + shipping

If running a 22 bolt on a Fostech you will need this:
    https://fostech.us/accessories/echo...p-kit-for-cmmg-22-conversions-and-uppers.html
    -not needed on a Franklin Binary trigger for it to work.
    im talking about the area behind the trigger in the receiver.

Attachments

• ar15 lower interior.jpg
      ar15 lower interior.jpg
      15.9 KB · Views: 233

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Lee from what I can remember. No it doesn't need any additional machining. It didn't on the 1st I installed for my friends.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The only lower that I'm aware of that have an issue with the Echo 2 are Colt Lowers. This includes the ones with the steel sear block, and the newer ones with the aluminum webb that runs across the sea area

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    How much strain does using a binary trigger put on a regular AR? I figure it'll probably burn out the barrel eventually, right?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    How much strain does using a binary trigger put on a regular AR? I figure it'll probably burn out the barrel eventually, right?

They eat up cheap bolts and extractors, especially extractors.

Barrels tend to erode faster in the throat when used in a binary equipped gun. A good hammer forged and chrome lined barrel is best for this application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom