• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And while I was typing the above :

Nerd-ish is cool . ( My BIL is biggest ( self accepted terminology for computer geek w/o unintentionally offending them ) , and he always tells me conspiracy theorys more tin foil than mine . And carrys, and trys hard to avoid Md .)

Different tastes in firearms is cool . I'm not into computer gaming , but not any worse in the absolute sense than being influenced by James Bond , or Rat Patrol ( millienals google it ) , or Gunsmoke .

A lot of the things I advocate for are outside my preferences . But it's not a matter if what I like , it is a matter of everbody's Rights .

The big brouhaha here is over two things :

1. Presumption of values for living environments . You presumed that densely populated suburbab/ quasi-urban area with lots of IT infrastructure, lots of shoping, dining, and entertainment was near the top of the heap. Different strokes, etc . But here in MDS you will find lots of people who value open space, solitude, nearby hunting , fishing, camping, hiking in nature , trail riding ( two wheels, four wheels, or gasp , four hoves ) . And knowingly trade off distance to ( those quasi-urban advantages) for a slower, more laid back lifestyle .

If were were talking about moving to the bush of Alaska , or Outback Australia, that would need some hard thinking . But most parts of WV , Pa , north AL , east TN , etc , its not unthinkablel to be 15 minutes from a small town , or 45min from WalMart or other to stock up every week or two .

2. The idea to the effect of " The Gov't Forces" are so big & bad , oh my . We're doomed .Just totally submit and surrender , and the Crown might be temporarily pleased with us for a while .

I really, really, really don't want the 3rd American Civil War ( 1775, and 1861 if you're wondering) . And knock on wood , nothing like that is on the current horizon.

But as mentioned also above, natural disasters and resultant civil disorder are certainly a thing . Post Katrina . US Virgin Islands hurricanes. NYC power grid failures .Baltimore style riots . Plenty of people not otherwise inclined for day to day armaments, specifically want to be prepared for those types of situations just in case .

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    once the lower classes aren’t needed for labor and become superfluous outside of common human decency, why would those with means pay UBI?

There either wouldn't be UBI or it would be so low as to be worthless. Most likely if there was UBI, it would be considered a substandard currency and only accepted for a limited list of subsistence items. People with no skills in the future will be considered disposable. They will either live in filthy cardboard cities or in tiny government-provided accommodations not much bigger than jail cells. Just my prediction.

j.smooth4

Feb 24, 2017
    Laurel, MD
    There's already a move afoot to replace doctors with diagnostic kiosks. Lawyers and judges are easily replaced with computers. Low-skill jobs are on the way out, being replaced with robots. It's a trickle right now but it will be an unstoppable flood within 10 years. I know. I'm designing and selling the underlying technology for it. The vast majority of people do not comprehend what's coming. From the perspective of today, this country will be unrecognizable in 50 years. Akin to someone in the 1930's trying to envision what computerization would lead to by the 1990's.

Yep I have two predictions for the future either this technology its going to lead to humans enjoying vast amounts of free time and a high standard of living. Colonization of our Solar System, no more food/water storages, universal healthcare with long lifespans. A society like will smith in I-robot.

Or number two where we live in megacities like in judge dredd where everyone is in destitute poverty, high crime, a high prison/forced labor population, high unemployment, and authoritarian regimes controlled by corporations and oligarchies.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I predict a combination of both of those. Social elites and motivated, hard-working people will live in the former. Everyone else will live in the latter. Philip K. Dick will look like a prophet in hindsight.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Yeah, you guys are correct. I was rude to have said that. I apologize.

All I'm saying is that moving your whole life for something as trivial as gun laws is ridiculous. Like really, that's the hill you want to die on? Head on off to the hills where it's hard to even get decent internet just because big gubmint wants you to jump through some hoops to get a certain firearm? I agree, the HQL is some ******** and I refuse to get that license because I'm not a criminal and I don't want the feds to have my fingerprints just because.

But I'll bet you're all well armed nonetheless, as I am. We all agree on a certain level of gun control, don't we? Or do we honestly believe we all have a right to cluster bombs, RPG-7s, and nuclear warheads? That is government regulation. We all agree it's necessary, what we don't all agree on is where that regulation should end. But that's a healthy conversation to have instead of throwing your opponents out of the window with ad hominem attacks and whistleblowing for nonsense.

But there are more amendments than the 2nd that really need attention and defense. How about the 4th? Protection from unreasonable search and seizure? Isn't this one worth being militant about? I know you've all heard stories of civil forfeiture which actually accounts for more goods removed from civilians than that of criminal theft - that one's true by the way, look it up.

That's just one, though. We could go down the list and find so many more infractions of various amendments. I get annoyed when people pretend like there's only the second amendment, and that's the hill you must stand atop, even in the face of facts and studies that try to temper things a bit.

I again apologize for my original response - it was callous of me. But surely this post is reasonable and something we can more or less agree upon?

Another Dale Carnegie graduate.

BTW, have you ever been to Banned Camp? I think with your attitude, you will find a spot there.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    The line for me is honestly anything more than a Barrett .50 cal. I know a lot of people on the left would disagree with me on that and that's just fine. The arguments they mostly have about magazine styles are really just missing the point. At the end of the day, most politicians, right or left, do not understand guns, and so they shouldn't be able to vote on legislation about them.

Ever been to Knob Creek? There's a few folks down there that would disagree with you.

So do I.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Congrats. As someone who was born and raised in WV and spent 32 years of my life living there, I regret the day I moved to this shit hole known as Maryland. I find it hilarious that the people who use to make fun of me and call me WV redneck hillbilly have either moved to WV or are desperately trying to. If I could sell my house this evening, I'd be in WV before midnight...even if I had to live in a tent. Less taxes, less restrictive gun laws, and less rat race there.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Congratulations on your move. We did the same thing last August and have not looked back.
    Gun laws were not the only reason we left, however. We did not like the way politics in general are going in MD, or the congestion, or the absurd liberal ideologies espoused by the overwhelmingly democratic general assembly. More and more, MD appears to be trying to emulate what is going on in CA and from what we are seeing, it isn't going at all well for them.
    Enjoy the freedom from being a subject to being a citizen again!

Inspector1489

Ultimate Member
    May 27, 2016
    FL panhandle
    I wan't sure where to post this. I don't know if there are any lawmakers/politicians in this group but MD is losing another law abiding tax paying native for friendlier lands. I would have loved to settle in the western hills of our state but I'm tired and don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. I will continue to help with our rights in the whole nation while enjoying my new freedoms in WV.

NRA
    MSI

Best wishes and congrats on your move.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Can I be real with you here? Let's be honest with each other. You and I with our AR-15s and our Tavors and our KSGs... we are no match for the government. Politicians have seen fit to overfund the american war machine for going on seven decades now. The idea of a well regulated militia forming resistance is like a mosquito thinking it can kill you or I just by having a meal from our blood. This government has proven it does not care about American lives, and no this is not an attack on Trump. The military industrial complex is a machine and human lives are just oil for the gears.

I sincerely hope we both don't see it proven in our lifetimes. It will be a bloodbath, and at the end of the day, no one will even know our names. We'll be as detritus. Garbage to be swept away and buried.

Tell that to the resistance fighters in Afghanistan. I think they will prove you wrong.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    Can I be real with you here? Let's be honest with each other. You and I with our AR-15s and our Tavors and our KSGs... we are no match for the government. Politicians have seen fit to overfund the american war machine for going on seven decades now. The idea of a well regulated militia forming resistance is like a mosquito thinking it can kill you or I just by having a meal from our blood. This government has proven it does not care about American lives, and no this is not an attack on Trump. The military industrial complex is a machine and human lives are just oil for the gears.

I sincerely hope we both don't see it proven in our lifetimes. It will be a bloodbath, and at the end of the day, no one will even know our names. We'll be as detritus. Garbage to be swept away and buried.

I think you might underestimate where service members stand on the issues, there is also quite a hefty supply of military equipment sitting all over the country in national guard armories.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter

Dear sir or madam

Apparently you've never served our country

Among those who have, there exists a tremendous love of country...and a level of skill and knowledge and devotion to our great country and those tenets that we are founded on that are relatively unmatched in human history. These things are game changers.

These things are also why the progressives have demonized "veterans" and "citizens" and "patriots".

The nature and relative lethality of weapon a or b become less important in light of these key issues.

RMA...revolution in military affairs...the bow, gunpowder, rifling, machine guns, tanks, aircraft, radar, stealth, IW, etc have changed strategy and tactics (TTP). Partisan warfare...guerilla warfare is effective.

Never underestimate those who serve or those who have served. Never presume defeat. Never give up our rights.

You are only out of the fight when you presume defeat as inevitable. Beating yourself, in advance of the engagement, is a sure way to lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom