• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Colt made a model called the Sporter that was in 7.62x39. My advice is to look for one of those. Might cost you, but should be reliable.

I have the old 20"(?) Colt in x39. It uses a fragile bolt that is almost impossible to replace but works great w/ ASC/Cprod 30rd mags. I don't shoot it anymore. A friend and I just built identical AR47 uppers using Faxon 10.5" bbls and AIM bcgs. Haven't shot mine yet (this Sat at AGC!) but my friend has and it runs like a top w/ those same mags even w/ a registered lower. x39 has a more satisfying shooting feeling and louder hitting steel.

I have an old Spikes 5.45 upper too that runs but it feels basically identical to shooting 5.56. Haven't shot that one much since cheap 5.45 disappeared.

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have an old Spikes 5.45 upper too that runs but it feels basically identical to shooting 5.56. Haven't shot that one much since cheap 5.45 disappeared.
    I keep my AA 5.45x39 piston upper because 1) I still dream of building an AR-74 (AK-74 mag lower) one day, 2) I have a semi-auto AK-74 I'm not getting rid of (so 5.45x39 is here to stay), and 3) if there's ever another ammo panic, 5.45x39 tends to get the least crazy. That said, it gets so little use right now that it's not even riding a lower, so I hear where you're coming from.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    The newer mags, and specifically the CPD 30 round magazines have fixed the magazine reliability issue. It's a more fun gun to shoot than 5.56 in my opinion. I have built a couple myself. I would go with a toolcraft 7.62x39 bolt, they are around $100.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    5.45: I too have AK74s so it not going anywhere. I'm still sitting on a couple crates of cheap 7n6 too but can't bring myself to shoot it (yet). Thats a bit of a PITA being corrosive too = more trouble than its worth at the moment. For occasional plinking w/ the AK I just use a little non-corrosive Wolf. Though an AR is a LOT easier to clean after corrosive ammo than an old wood stocked rifle! I like the look of the wood more but been planning to convert my 54R Vepr to poly furniture so it can be shot more and just 'dunked' in a bucket.

I plan on taking the PTR32 and AR47 upper to AGC on Sat w/ MDTCA and shoot a lot of 7.62x39:) I just got the BUIS and AAC brake installed on the AR this week. Need to dial the gas block in w/ and w/o a SDN6. Reminds me I should dig through my spare locking pcs and see if I can slow down the PTR enough to shoot suppressed. A bunch of Golden Tiger was delivered this week too.

ktigerJ

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2013
    I built a 7.62 X 39 AR using an Anderson upper and lower. I have not had a problem with the ASC mags feeding, but have had a few lite primer strikes, using steel cased ammo.

I have a SOTA upper on a Spikes Tactical lower. I had some issues with mags but then switched to ASC mags as Ted mentioned. They are 1000x's better and ran through 1000 rounds or so through 4-5 mags with no issues. I really like the AR in 7.62x39. It's a fun shoot.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I have a mutant and love it !! Also have several other home built 7.62x39s that use the ASC mags with no issues with. The first issues I had about 8 years ago were short firing pins. After going longer firing pins I have 1 pistol with over 4000 rds threw with no issues. Shoots like a dream :-) love the platform!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom