• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Any opinions on ultrasonic cleaning? On a whim I dropped my daily carry G-19 into the ultrasonic at work. I was very impressed with the result. Maybe it's been so long since I've cleaned it and I just don't remember how it felt clean, but the action definitely feels smoother. I think a half pound of dirt and lint came out of it.

Think I'm going to take several BCGs into work tomorrow.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Personally, if I'm going to strip something down to individual pieces I will do it, but I feel as if I'm going to throw an assembled FA or sub-assembly into one that it may remove lubrication or rust prevention in places that it's not easy to access and reapply.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I have a large 1 and it does a great job. Makes dirty guns clean fast. Also use it on my suppressor's. I use dish soap and it heats the water up for me.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    So are there recommended makes or models? I never heard of these. I googled them and Amazon has them for under $200. Are the home models worth it, or only the industrial size ones?

Some of the cleaners like Lymans say mix with water. Shouldn't I be concerned with rust (long term)?

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    I have one as well... just make sure to use or get a stainless steel tray...plastic tray can absorb as much as 30% of the waves

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I had one and used it a lot. It stopped working and I never replaced it. I really don't miss it now that I don't have one to use. I used simply green in mine. I found it worked better than most of the made for use type cleaners sold on the market.

YMMV

May 19, 2016
    I have that cleaner as well. I was going with a laundry detergent DIY solution, but if the cleaners you mentioned work faster, I may use those. When using the cleaner do you soak it in the solvent and then use ONLY warm water, or do you use a mixture of the solvent AND warm water?

PS - to any interested parties, Harbor Freight always has a %20-30 off coupon on their website, as well as one for a free item. I always leave with a free item. You can never have too many flashlights. I give them to relatives for emergency kits.

Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    $300 +, sorry not in the cards for me. I'd do the 79.99 from Harbor with the 20% coupon if it works well for our purposes.

I have that one. It works great. I use the purple colored simple green in a 50/50 solution of water. For light work, I toss parts in and turn on the agitators, then dip the handgun frame or AR bolt carrier group in and lightly scrub with a plastic bristle brush, then dip back in and watch everything melt off. For heavy fouling I’ll let stuff sit in the solution while it warms up til it’s almost too hot to touch, then turn on the agitators for the full 8 minute cycle. Remember not to put polymer frames or parts in there when it’s that hot.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Reviving this thread. I bought a Lyman Turbo Sonic 2500 to clean gun parts. I see a variety of cleaning solutions to add to the water from Dawn Dish detergent to Simple Green to specialized chemicals. Anyone gone through these and compared them?

And double checking: I see a reference immediately above for avoiding polymer (and I presume plastics) if you turn on the heater. I'd like to clean gun magazine parts in this as well.

Thanks.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Attachments

• simple.png
      simple.png
      19.9 KB · Views: 142

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    LOL. I just found that in a google search when you responded. I'm just going to order it from Amazon with Lyman's ultrasonic lube solution and be done with it. Thanks again.
    :D
    I like it because it isn't supposed to harm aluminium.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    :D
    I like it because it isn't supposed to harm aluminium.
    The real driver for getting this is I have an entire box full of various pistol and rifle magazines that are just plain filthy. Especially my Colt AR9 magazines after shooting Winchester 124 grain NATO. That is just the dirtiest crap in the world.

I have one aluminum frame pistol, my CZ P-O1. Stuff is certainly much cheaper than the Lyman or Hornady solutions.

Sent using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom