• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    From this month's Spyderco byte:

DISCONTINUED LIST

All good things must come to an end. To make room for all the exciting new products we’ll be introducing in 2018, Spyderco has released our official list of discontinued products. These models will no longer be produced and will not be included in our 2018 catalog. Supplies are limited, so if you’ve had your eye on one or more of these knives, get them while you can!

C26PYL - Snap-It Salt PlainEdge

C36TIFP - Military Fluted TI

C36TIP - Military TI

C41TIFP5 - Native 5 Fluted TI

C79PSBK - Assist Satin Blade

C88PBBK - Salt Black Blade

C88PYL - Salt Yelow PlainEdge

C88SBBK - Salt Black Blade SpyderEdge

C88SYL - Salt Yellow SpyderEdge

C106PBK - Tasman Salt PlainEdge Black
    C106PYL - Tasman Salt PlainEdge Yellow

C106SBK - Tasman Salt SpyderEdge Black

C106SYL - Tasman Salt SpyderEdge Yellow

C156GPBBK - Southard Black Blade

C156GPBN - Southard Brown

C163PBK - Pingo Black

C163POR - Pingo Orange

C163TIP - Pingo TI (Sprint)

C167GP - Friction Folder

C171TIBLP - Mike Draper Folder

C172CFTIP - Domino

C179PBK - Spy DK Black

C181GTIP - Lil’ Lionspy

C182CFTIP - Dice

C184GPOR - Firefly

C188ALTIBBKP - Dog Tag Black ALUM

C192TIBLP - PITS Blue TI

C193TIP - Squarehead

C194CFTIP - Myrtle

C195CFP - Positron

C196CFTIP - Mamba

C198TIP - Tighe Stick

C199TIP - Nirvana

C201TIBLP - Vrango

C206GP - Introvert

FB05P2 - Temperance 2

FB15P - Street Beat Micarta

FB28GBNP - Puukko

FB30GP - South Fork

FB34GP - Reverse

H01 - Szabohawk

LSSSP3T - Ladybug Tattoo

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Spyderco is one company I do belive IS looking out for their customer's best interest. Everyone discontinues old and underselling products to make way for new stuff, especially when they have a finite production capacity, Spyderco publishes their discontinued model list for us, so we can snag an outgoing model before they are gone. They are one of the best companies for knife knuts, produce a huge number of models, and take a chance on designs that nobody else will. The owner, Sal posts on forums all the time, and I've talked to him several times by PM. I've seen him send out knives to customers who weren't happy with his products for one reason or another, in most cases the replacement was worth far more than the model the customer originally bought. He involves customers in testing, and bringing exotic steels to the public, and have seen him produce a model as a direct result of customer requests. He sends out new products, and gives sneak peaks to fans all the time. Their customer service, and willingness to fix or replace anything that breaks is legendary.

Most of the models on the list have either run their course, or have a direct replacement on the way. A couple I'm sad to see go, but BladeHQ and Knifecenter are offering remaining stocks for sale for less than they typically go for used. Picked up a $120 Domino myself, 3rd spyderco I've bought in the last month. Most of the higher end knives on clearance now will be able to be sold or traded for more than their current price pretty much as soon as they sell out.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The domino is a solid little knife, but the Positron handle just looks uncomfortable, and I'm no fan of liner locks, but have been proven wrong in the past, and overlooked some cool knives that ended up working out. Been looking at picking up a supersteel Para 2, probably S110V, but might take a gamble on Maxamet, supposedly 70HRC and more wear resistant than S110V, but potentially chippy, and supposedly starts to rust really easily, even by non-stainless standards.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The domino is a solid little knife, but the Positron handle just looks uncomfortable, and I'm no fan of liner locks, but have been proven wrong in the past, and overlooked some cool knives that ended up working out. Been looking at picking up a supersteel Para 2, probably S110V, but might take a gamble on Maxamet, supposedly 70HRC and more wear resistant than S110V, but potentially chippy, and supposedly starts to rust really easily, even by non-stainless standards.

Ok - after looking at what Knife Center has on sale - I am thinking about getting a PITS Fred Perrin Street Beat as well.

cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    I have a salt H1 that I have been very happy with, might have to take a closer look at the list tomorrow and pick up one or 2 before they are gone

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    My $120 Domino arrived, at this price I might snag another, this is a fantastic EDC. It's basically a Manix2 blade in updated steel with a flipper/Ti framelock on bearings that reminds me of the new crop of ZT blades, really nice flipper action. Fit and finish is a step above my other Spyderco's, which is saying something, I kinda like the much maligned woven CF pattern on top of the G10 scale, even so, it's easily replaceable with something else. The handle shape is excellent, a bit smaller, thinner, and feels more refined than the manix, but in the same ballpark as an epic utility design.

20171106_151625.jpg

20171106_151756.jpg

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I got a Positron and a Domino. The Positron is a gamble; people seem to either love them or hate them. But at less than $100 I am willing to give it a go.

I got Positron from the sale. It's too small for my big hand and the point drags below my thumb when I open it. Plus the flipper is small and you have to put some finger tension on the frame before pulling down on the flipper to snap it open.

It's on eBay now with the Chubby I never carry.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I got Positron from the sale. It's too small for my big hand and the point drags below my thumb when I open it. Plus the flipper is small and you have to put some finger tension on the frame before pulling down on the flipper to snap it open.

I just got mine today and I like it but I ended up reversing the clip as it dug into my hand. That mod made it much perfect. I don't know if that would be helpful to you or not.

I would give it a slight ding for having slick scales (should have textured it).

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    My $120 Domino arrived, at this price I might snag another, this is a fantastic EDC. It's basically a Manix2 blade in updated steel with a flipper/Ti framelock on bearings that reminds me of the new crop of ZT blades, really nice flipper action. Fit and finish is a step above my other Spyderco's, which is saying something, I kinda like the much maligned woven CF pattern on top of the G10 scale, even so, it's easily replaceable with something else. The handle shape is excellent, a bit smaller, thinner, and feels more refined than the manix, but in the same ballpark as an epic utility design.

I think those comments are all right on. Especially the notion this is a greatly improved Manix 2. Why Spyderco is discontinuing this knife is a mystery to me.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co

My $99 Positron sold at 8pm Sunday on eBay for $128.50 less fees.

It pays to have auctions end when people are home. The bidding in the last 2 mins for that (and the Chubby) was nuts.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    My $99 Positron sold at 8pm Sunday on eBay for $128.50 less fees.

It pays to have auctions end when people are home. The bidding in the last 2 mins for that (and the Chubby) was nuts.

Glad it worked out; I felt like I gave you a bum steer. I like my Positron even though it's not my favorite.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Glad it worked out; I felt like I gave you a bum steer. I like my Positron even though it's not my favorite.
    I was interested in giving the Positron a try since the smaller size would be less intimidating to my g/f than my 4" ti-lite or byrd when I empty my pockets or open a box.

I will keep the inbound 6" Counter Point XL in my coat and out of view.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    I have some Benchmade, Chris Reeve, Kershaw, ZT but I could never fork over the money for a Spyderco. I always found those knives so damn ugly!

Adenosine

Sep 20, 2016
    Getting rid of the Domino AND the Dice? That sucks. The Dice is the perfect size for federal building carry, and a very solid/useful little knife, and its bigger brother the Domino is also very useful. Trying to decide whether to buy backups while I still can...

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Getting rid of the Domino AND the Dice? That sucks. The Dice is the perfect size for federal building carry, and a very solid/useful little knife, and its bigger brother the Domino is also very useful. Trying to decide whether to buy backups while I still can...

Supposedly they are being redesigned with improved bearings, and might come back. I still absolutely love my Domino, The Ti construction is extremely solid and relatively lightweight, and the flipper absolutely launches the blade, faster action than most KVT, spring assist and even a couple autos. Not sure if the sprint versions are going away, but might snag a BBS blue/204p version too, currently $206 for a Domino sprint and lil Matriarch pairing. I was originally hesitant to shell out nearly $200 for a Domino, the $120 clearance price got me to buy one, but IMO after owning one it's worth the original street price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom