Why does anyone need 30 round magazines or an AR15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UNcommon Arms

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 16, 2011
    Howard County
    Why does anyone need an AR15?

Why does anyone need a gun that holds 30 rounds?

Recently had a conversation with a lady – said she was a Republican and was pro-gun, she said she supports others right to own a gun, but did not own any herself and had no interest in shooting one – she went on to ask “why does anyone need a gun that shoots 30 bullets.”

I asked her what kind of car she drove, she said a “Lexus.” I said “why do you need a Lexus, why not drive a Yugo?” She responded “I can afford it, I like the comfort, it’s what I wanted and it’s my choice.” I said “EXACTLY, why deny someone their choice of firearm?” She looked at me like the RCA Victor dog and said “do you really need 30 bullets to kill someone?” I did not want to get in the complexities of “Defence against tyranny etc…” The conversation continued …

I’m looking for some good comments that will make sense to the ignorant as to why anyone would want or need an AR15 or standard capacity magazines.

Please no wise cracks I really want some subtle, informative statements that will make others think and perhaps persuade them to open their minds and alter their thinking.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    1. 5.56mm is not a 100% stopper. IIRC, the Army is currently training the troops to shoot twice at a single opponent. Meaning that a 30-round mag is 15 engagement opportunities.

2. You might miss. Meaning that those 15 engagement opportunities are more like 5-7.

3. Multiple opponents. It doesn't pay to run out of ammo when a gang of thugs stage a home invasion.

And, of course...

4. Because it makes Obama, O'Malley, and their ilk unhappy.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    For the same reason swat teams use them. They are very effective firearms when you need to win the argument.

If someone breaks into your home, I think you will argue with them.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Does anyone really NEED freedom of religion? Wouldn't this country be a lot more peaceful if we all followed the one true god?

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Why does anyone need an AR15?

Why does anyone need a gun that holds 30 rounds?

AR-15 & .223 are great against certain kinds of predators - the fast and small kind, such as coyote. Not many in MD, but it explains why they are so popular out West.

The AR-15 platform is a very customizable and comfortable weapon to shoot. It can be configured for home defense, target shooting, or hunting. I've read on the boards that ARs are popular with women, too, as it's quite customizable to a very different body type. Since you can change the upper out from .223 to .300 BLK, you have some options in what caliber you're using.

That's why someone "*needs*" an AR. If you need a weapon, it's a good one to choose.

As for 30 round standard-capacity magazines:

For shooting on the range you'll get more shots in rather than spending time reloading. A lot of ranges go cold on schedule (i.e., Hap Baker). This isn't an issue with their handgun range, but it is with their rifle range.

I've read stories about how people who got injured in war got injured while reloading - because they were sitting ducks. Sure, that's war - but it applies to home defense too. Less reloading - more time being able to defend/attack yourself.

A 30-round mag is not an excuse to magdump, and those that magdump are wasting ammunition. It's an excuse to not reload as often. Reloading is when your weapon is better used as a club.

Remember, 30 rounds isn't a "high" capacity mag. It's a "standard" capacity one.

100 rounds is High.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    if someone invades a home and the police are called they show up with handguns with at least 15 round magazines, and if they know it's an active bad guy situation they show up with AR15 rifles with 30 round magazines.

Do they need 30 rounds? Usually not. Might they? Yes. Why do I need 30 rounds? I sincerely hope I never do, but the fact that the police think it's prudent to have when facing the same bad guys is good enough reason for me to be prepared.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Tell her the truth, that if nobody eff's with you they will never find out why you need it (and neither will she), and in the meantime its an excellent choice to practice civilian marksmanship for both personal and national defense. After all, each time the professional military has improved its basic weapon so have the civilians, e.g. blunderbuss, musket, rifle, repeating rifle, semi-automatic rifle, etc. Ask her how she would like being limited to a Model-T while the government is using modern vehicles.

BTW, not to hijack the thread, but I saw that British armored vehicle riding down York Road again 8:30 Saturday morning - too cool. Screw the Lexus, I want one of those!

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Liberty, thats why. . . no excuse or 'need' required. I have used this exact statement with a anti coworker. . .he had no response and hasnt said a word to me about it since. ;)

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I usually avoid any of the "need" conversations and ask them why they need a car that goes faster than the speed limit. I think by defending our need, we go on the defensive and most antis don't buy it.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Why we need as many bullets in our magazine as possible.

1. People miss. The NYPD only hit their targets 35% of the time. The means that for every 30 bullets fired, only 10 hit the actual target.
    2. There are multiple reports of people getting shot 6+ times and continuing to attack.
    3. There are multiple reports of people being forced to engage multiple targets.
    4. Banning these magazines have not been shown to reduce crime or mass shootings. What is the point in banning something when it has already been proven to do nothing?

Why we need Semiautomatic rifles

1. They are the most customizable rifles on the market. Anyone from a 100 pound woman to a 300 pound man can customize them to make them comfortable for their use.
    2. The AR-15, possibly the most popular rifle in America, fires a .223 round. This round is known for its low recoil and its ease of use. Once again, anyone for a 100 pound woman to a 300 pound man can operate this firearm easily.
    3. The Ar-15s ammunition, .223, is known to tumble when being fired at a wall. This means that in a home defense situation, if you miss your target, your stray bullets will be less likely to travel through multiple walls and injure innocent bystanders.
    4. Banning these firearms have not been shown to reduce crime or mass shootings. The FBI has reported multiple times that the AWB of 1994 did nothing to stop mass shootings. What is the point in banning something when it has already been proven to do nothing?

This is a pretty short list, I’ve read a ton of other reasons. I actually kind of wish someone would write an in-depth article on this so we can just start posting it all over the internet every time we see someone say, “But why do you NEED an assault rifle?” Frankly, we should not have to explain why we need these.

Lawyer56

Feb 10, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    Why do you have more than one roll of toilet paper in your home?

Why does your vehicle need a gas tank that holds more than three gallons of gasoline?

Why do you buy a 24-pack of water bottles at one time?

Why do we need a 5-day or 7-day weather forecast?

Why can you buy beer by the case?

Why do hot dog rolls come eight to a pack?

Why are underwear sold three to a pack?

Why ask why??

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Politely tell her that the "needs" a regiment is a straw horse. People that are putting that language in her head are doing it with firearms because it is an emotional issue. At some point they will move from rounds in a gun to ounces of Coke in a cup at 7-Eleven......oh wait.

NO WHERE in the Constitution does it say what anyone "needs." It's not the government's, or your neighbor's responsibility to say what is "too much."

Ultimately it comes down to USE and not ability. As long as any object is used in a safe manner, then its potential is irrelevant.

Nimrod

"NOT DISAPPROVED"
    Mar 22, 2011
    Montgomery County
    I have encountered this question before as well, and here is the analogy I use:

If I'm out hunting a dangerous animal, like a large feral hog, I can do so with a bolt-action rifle from a tree stand. However, if I am out walking on the ground through thick brush, in an area with a population of feral hogs, and I have no idea where they are or which direction they could be coming from, I want something that shoots rapidly and holds as much ammo as possible. I don't want to get gored while I'm reloading. Facing an unknown threat in your house is no different. And we're talking about my life and the lives of my family members, with just me, and no backup... 30 rounds? I would have 100 rounds in my gun if I could!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom