• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    After about three hours of shooting at The Cove, I got a live round stuck in the chamber of my STI. It's about 1/4" out of battery. What's the best way to get the round ejected? Or am I going to visit a gunsmith to fix it? Thanks.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Hammer a wooden dowel rod ( a sturdy stick will work) down the barrel from the muzzle.

Warning: do not get wooden dowel stuck in the barrel.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    A 3/8" brass rod a little longer than the barrel eliminates the risk of a wooden dowel splitting and getting stuck.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Pushing the bottom of the slide (or lower edge of the slide if equipped with a full length guide rod) on a bench or corner of a wall comes to mind. I had to do that a time or two.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Pushing the bottom of the slide (or lower edge of the slide if equipped with a full length guide rod) on a bench or corner of a wall comes to mind. I had to do that a time or two.

I tried at the range, it's way past that point.

A 3/8" brass rod a little longer than the barrel eliminates the risk of a wooden dowel splitting and getting stuck.

I will try that. I'm assuming maybe a cleaning rod will work?

Hammer a wooden dowel rod ( a sturdy stick will work) down the barrel from the muzzle.

Warning: do not get wooden dowel stuck in the barrel.

I don't have any wooden dowels handy, I may try this after a trip to Lowes.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I carry a 3/16" diameter x 12" long brass rod in my gun bag...

First, drop thee mag & get the trigger out of the way & put the safety ON...

When I'm at the range, I insert the rod from the front of the barrel...

Then I hold the rod with 1 finger, turn the pistol muzzle down & tap the rod vertically on a flat piece of concrete...

It may take a few taps, but it works every time on stuck bullets...

Good luck...

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    This. Don't go hammering a rod down the barrel for all you know the firing pin is stuck in the channel. It happens.

I agree. First drop the mag if possible. If the pistol is 1/4" out of battery, then you NEED to get the slide back and locked. If the round then does not come out....use a brass rod, carefully.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    An aluminum cleaning rod will probably be ruined. You can buy copper "Squib rods" from Brownells or Ebay.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I had a gunsmith get it out. I believe it came from Fenix Ammunition. There is a slight bulge on the side of the case. No rifling marks on the bullet. Looks like I won't be buying from them again. Their advertised speed for this 147 gr load is 890 fps out of a 4.75" barrel and I cronographed them at 1000 fps from my 5.5" barrel. I got these because I needed factory subsonic ammunition for a class. Their "match" ammunition had a 20% failure to fire rate out of my STI. I'm sticking with my own reloads from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom