• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I belong to an SKS group on Facebook. In most places a well worn rifle is going for $400 right now a nice one like that could bring more. I bought a Russian that appears to be unissued with all the accessories for $700 last year. I probably could have negotiated less but the guy was a friend and needed the money and I didn't want to be a dick.

duckslayer

Feb 3, 2009
    southern dorchester county
    Do these add much to the value?
    I also have a black synthetic stock

Attachments

• 6C737567-5644-4D9B-BA06-1C8E26DD4032.jpg
      6C737567-5644-4D9B-BA06-1C8E26DD4032.jpg
      79.7 KB · Views: 174
    It's worth whatever someone is willing to give you for it. Made in 1999 it has no military significance. If I were looking for one I would offer you $400 for everything you have and maybe go another $25-50 for the accessories if we were bargaining. It's not going to appreciate in value any time soon if ever.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It's worth whatever someone is willing to give you for it. Made in 1999 it has no military significance. If I were looking for one I would offer you $400 for everything you have and maybe go another $25-50 for the accessories if we were bargaining. It's not going to appreciate in value any time soon if ever.
    I think you're missing the point that he has a banned SKS-M that takes AK mags. I've also got one that is basically a mirror of his. They are far more rare than you're giving them credit for.

Hi-Torque

Jan 16, 2013
    Finksburg
    This conversation brings up an important point to Duckslayer. If the first gun shop you take it to in DE sees it, and offers you $200 because "that's all they give for commercial Norincos", take it to a different shop that knows what it is, and what the value should be. Like anything unusual and rare, the number of knowledgeable buyers goes down as the price goes up. It may take a few shops before someone understands what it is and offers you a fair price.

Unfortunately we have not seen one of these for sale in the state of MD in over 5 years, and the last ones were for sale for a grand or more. I passed with no regrets at that price, it was a novelty to me then, to add alongside a fixed-mag military SKS collection. But it just wasn't a $1,000 novelty to me. Never liked the duckbills and this uses one of the cheapest and easiest to find mags out there. History or not, this has enough of a following that it's worth way more than a typical SKS, and significantly more than what it cost new in 1999 (congrats by the way on your excellent zombie investment!).

The argument that the military ones are better and have more history is totally valid (and correct in my eyes), but it's just not valid in pricing this particular rifle. Better does not mean more expensive in this case.

Hecktor Peabody

Boris Badinov
    Aug 22, 2018
    Southeastern PA
    The argument that the military ones are better and have more history is totally valid (and correct in my eyes), but it's just not valid in pricing this particular rifle. Better does not mean more expensive in this case.

+1

The Chinese sks got a bad rap because of varied dependability of the commercially modified variant.

The largest culprit being modifications for hi-capacity ak magazines-- that do not always feed properly, have a high occurrence for jams and ejection issues. As well there is often a problem with magazine compatibility with magazines from other manufacturers.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Unfortunately we have not seen one of these for sale in the state of MD in over 5 years, and the last ones were for sale for a grand or more.
    What? I bought mine in like 2012, and it was ~$375. IMHO, it's not all that impressive as a rifle (the SKS isn't, in general), but it's a fun little bit of gun trivia that takes AK mags (mostly), and that's worth something to me. The SKS-D guns are slightly more expensive, I suppose, but that's not what the OP has.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    What? I bought mine in like 2012, and it was ~$375. IMHO, it's not all that impressive as a rifle (the SKS isn't, in general), but it's a fun little bit of gun trivia that takes AK mags (mostly), and that's worth something to me. The SKS-D guns are slightly more expensive, I suppose, but that's not what the OP has.

Well you know what they say about opinions LOL
    Its more accurate than an AK and certainly as reliable.
    I will be glad to refund you your $375 so you can be rid of that unimpressive rifle :innocent0

Hi-Torque

Jan 16, 2013
    Finksburg

It was a $375 rifle before they banned it, and then price went through the roof. 2012 was great for deals looking back, then 2013 was horrible for buying. In the grand scheme of things the M's and Sporters are severely overpriced. Great for the seller. I can't buy one since I live in a Communist State, so I have no stake in the value, but I hope for your sake it does stay overpriced.

Here's some sold auctions, not exact but close commercial M's:

$900 - https://www.gunbroker.com/item/798288195
    $799 - https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796895704
    $775 - https://www.gunbroker.com/item/802995422

Current Auctions:

$383 with 13 bids, 10 days left, BIN $700 https://www.gunbroker.com/item/803430930

$799 No bids https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796133014

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Well you know what they say about opinions LOL
    I own one, so I'd say I have something to base my opinion on. How about you? Do you own an SKS-M?

Its more accurate than an AK and certainly as reliable.
    I don't know where this myth came from, but my SKS-M is not significantly more accurate than my AMD-65, and neither was my Yugo SKS before I sold it. It also does not have the magazine compatibility that the AMD-65 does; you flat-out cannot put many mags in without fitting them first. The ergos are also unimpressive compared to the AK, especially the safety. LRBHO on real SKS's is admittedly nice, but the SKS-M doesn't have one (of course).

Unlike the delusion crew, I can enjoy a rifle without inflating its abilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom