• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I picked up a Savage 10 fcp sr. Threaded barrel, 10 round detachable box magazine and 20 moa scope base. Other than not having a cheek riser it's **** up.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    what's your intended use? heard real good things about the tikka tactical varieties. i recently bought a tikka t3x lite (lite's are not threaded) for hunting, real smooth action and real nice trigger.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I've been looking at the savage 110 tactical in 6.5 creedmoor. Not getting one anytime soon but I like the idea of putting together a tactical/precision rifle, maybe my next eventual project. Looks like a pretty good deal out of the box, detachable mags, chassis type overmolded stock, spacer and cheek riser inserts, oversized bolt handle, 20MOA rail, threaded. I see them advertised under $600.

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/centerfire/model-110/110-tactical

The advantages of 6.5 over 308 are probably minimal at any distance I could find to shoot but I think that similar performance up to 300 yards but less recoil with the 6.5 puts it as the winner for me. I've been looking around and ammo prices and availability are almost identical with the possible exception of surplus 308.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Buy the bolt gun you WANT.

Have it threaded. Easy Peazy
    Disagree completely. To thread one correctly, you need to pull the barrel and put it in a lathe. That is not going to be nearly as cheap as buying one that's factory threaded.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Disagree completely. To thread one correctly, you need to pull the barrel and put it in a lathe. That is not going to be nearly as cheap as buying one that's factory threaded.

You do NOT need to pull the barrel.

Gunsmith lathes have pass through head stocks, and you can insert a barreled action.

Short Action Customs and Long Rifles Inc can thread, perfectly concentrically, a barreled action, with about a 1 day turn around in their shop, 1 week door to door.

SAC did my 700 barreled action.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I’d go with a Howa 1500 barreled action from Brownells. Barrels available for 308 and 6.5 threaded from 20”-26”. Put it in whatever stock/chassis you want. Watch for sales too.

https://www.brownells.com/manufacturers/howa/index.htm

That's interesting but I could see that going into a real money drain real fast (I'm not the best on the self-restraint thing). I'm looking for a $500ish rifle and stock setup. Looks like the Savage has best advantage for an "adjustable stock". It looks like a decent optic will cost as much as the rifle, but I already knew that.

89BSP

Jun 12, 2013
    Allegany County
    Ive got a Ruger Gunsite Scout. Im very happy with it. It is a 16 inch barrel. Which is nice if your are thinking of using a suppressor.

Had one of those, sold it because I could not get a good suppressor mounting on it due to the front sight/barrel shoulder on it.

Went to a 700 SPS, but also like Savage 10s

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Those barreled actions from brownells do go on sale. I passes on one for about $250, if I remember correctly.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    Had one of those, sold it because I could not get a good suppressor mounting on it due to the front sight/barrel shoulder on it.

Went to a 700 SPS, but also like Savage 10s

Interesting. I have not attempted to suppress mine. Not sure if i ever will. So the supressor hits the front bead? Im confused?

89BSP

Jun 12, 2013
    Allegany County
    Interesting. I have not attempted to suppress mine. Not sure if i ever will. So the supressor hits the front bead? Im confused?

On mine, when I unscrewed the flash hider, there was no good barrel shoulder to stop the suppressor mount, just the front sight mount, which is like a sleeve that slides over the barrel, which wasn’t straight enough to use.

Never had that problem on the Remington or Savage, but they also had no front sight either.

They may have changed them, but the end of the barrel on mine was shaped like this, dark sleeve is front sight:

3534caa7-5928-4e3b-a3c9-22184150e975.jpeg

Last edited:

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    On mine, when I unscrewed the flash hider, there was no good barrel shoulder to stop the suppressor mount, just the front sight mount, which is like a sleeve that slides over the barrel, which wasn’t straight enough to use. If I knew how to post a photo on here, I’d upload one of it.

Never had that problem on the Remington or Savage, but they also had no front sight either.

I have not encountered this problem in my personal experience. Sico ASR mount works great. I like the GSR, but there are plenty of other great bolt guns out there. Like posted above, hard to find a bad US made bolt gun these days.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    I picked one up at Baltimore’s best pawn. They have all kinds of stuff stocked as well as stuff that comes in the door. Also an IP. Duffy’s May have something as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom