• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    I edited my post because 925(d)(3) is horribly convoluted and refers to IRS code to determine if a rifle is "sporting". Typical government doubletalk. Whether or not 922r applies probably depends on the weather, the day of the week, and what side of the bed the ATF agent or fed prosecutor (aka tin-pot tyrant) woke up on that morning. :sad20:

Alderleet

Always, Sometimes.
    Sep 25, 2013
    AA
    Pretty sure the stocks and handguards are foriegn.

PTR only mfgrs the metal parts; Carriers, bolts, locking pieces, trunnions, barrels, receivers, sights/support tubes/flash hiders.

Everything else, looks to be foreign.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Picked up one of these at Duffy's over the weekend (they're closed today) on the way to the range. Had light primer strikes on Wolf WPA ammo (all I had w/ me). About 20% don't go off. The strikes looks 'marginal' but must not be quite enough. I read online that a couple folks run HK extra power springs to set off hard primers. We took the bolt apart and inspected/lubed everything but it persisted. Anyone have issues w/ theirs?

Primers look 'interesting'. The two on top are ones that fired. Odd to see primer cratering, but I've never payed much attention to what they look like out of one of my AKs either. The three on the bottom didn't go off.

I'll check the bolt gap and compare the firing pins and other parts to my other HK stuff when I get a chance. Can also try one of my 308 trigger packs next time.

Just for interest since I've asked the question before and couldn't find the info online: What parts are unique? The bolt is 7.62x39 proprietary. The head recess is a LITTLE smaller than the 91(308) bolt. Can't slip a 308 into the bolt by hand. I figured they are so close, they might have used a 91 bolt and just a different barrel but thats not the case. The locking pc is also marked '32' and surely made by/for PTR. Don't know what angle it corresponds to for a HK locking pc yet but Im sure there is a close match w/ all of them available. The chamber is fluted. There is an insert welded into a 91 magwell to hold the AK mags. So the mag insert, barrel, bolt head appear to be the truly unique parts of a 32. The recoil spring is probably tuned too. Will know for sure when I get them out side by side.

Attachments

• 20150711_162814_PTR32_primers.jpg
      20150711_162814_PTR32_primers.jpg
      47.6 KB · Views: 944
    Last edited:

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    No issues with mine using wolf WPA, around 400 rounds through so far. I don't know if the recoil spring is different or not, but mine also functions fine with a surplus 91 retractable stock.

Picked up one of these at Duffy's over the weekend (they're closed today) on the way to the range. Had light primer strikes on Wolf WPA ammo (all I had w/ me). About 20% don't go off. The strikes looks 'marginal' but must not be quite enough. I read online that a couple folks run HK extra power springs to set off hard primers. We took the bolt apart and inspected/lubed everything but it persisted. Anyone have issues w/ theirs?

Primers look 'interesting'. The two on top are ones that fired. Odd to see primer cratering, but I've never payed much attention to what they look like out of one of my AKs either. The three on the bottom didn't go off.

I'll check the bolt gap and compare the firing pins and other parts to my other HK stuff when I get a chance. Can also try one of my 308 trigger packs next time.

Just for interest since I've asked the question before and couldn't find the info online: What parts are unique? The bolt is 7.62x39 proprietary. The head recess is a LITTLE smaller than the 91(308) bolt. Can't slip a 308 into the bolt by hand. I figured they are so close, they might have used a 91 bolt and just a different barrel but thats not the case. The locking pc is also marked '32' and surely made by/for PTR. Don't know what angle it corresponds to for a HK locking pc yet but Im sure there is a close match w/ all of them available. The chamber is fluted. There is an insert welded into a 91 magwell to hold the AK mags. So the mag insert, barrel, bolt head appear to be the truly unique parts of a 32. The recoil spring is probably tuned too. Will know for sure when I get them out side by side.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    If you go to the HK forums some people including me had to change the locking piece to a 15 lb and a lighter or heavier spring in the bolt latch detent cant remember lol. The 1s I have are gen 1. Not sure if any of that changed on the gen 2. What I was having issues with was both bolt bounce and the bolt not fully seating causing light primer hits about every 3to 4 rounds.

Alderleet

Always, Sometimes.
    Sep 25, 2013
    AA
    Doesn't appear anything has changed on Gen 2s in that area. Yeah, I found a thread on HKPro that described how to fix it. Will get new 'claw' spring and an extra power hammer spring and report back how that goes.
    http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-nfa-talk/205436-troubleshooting-ptr32pdw-sear.html

I had a lengthy chat with Chris @ PTR, and i asked a few Q's.

The "claw spring" should be a factory G3 locking lever spring. Same spring rate and all. Chris mentioned that they wanted the 32 to retain as much factory interchangeable parts as possible.
    The biggest reason was for user level servicing. The bolt head was machined with a *maginally* smaller bolt face compared to the 308 model. Just enough to provide adequate support, but not true to the x39 rim diameter. Its actually a bit wider so they could get away using a 91/g3 extractor claw. If they machined it exactly to the x39 case, it would require a custom extractor, thus narrowing available replacement parts.

The extractor spring should be the silver rifle style extractor spring (copper colored springs are used in the pistol cal variants)

The trigger pack should be interchangeable with hk91 parts. (Sans full auto parts). The hammer spring can be easily replaced.

The issue with light strikes can be a number of things. High bolt gap (the upper end of "acceptable" range ~ .018 thou), will cause light strikes. Its part of the reason for the break in instructions/warning. The bolt gap should drop several thousandths as it breaks in, and doing so will increase the protrusion of the firing pin. (The trunnion and bolt head are new, so it will wear in a bit and settle down) Also, check the firing pin hole in the bolt head. There may be debris/crap inside of the bolt head and center channel of the locking piece. Also make sure the trunnion roller recessed are free of carbon caking. That can actually increase bolt gap, due to rollers not seating fully.

The Locking piece is a 65* piece. It merely provides leverage from the cartridge case thrust pressing on the rollers, to overcome the locking lever spring rate.

Changing the LP angle to a lower angle, reduces available pressure to overcome that lever. The lever also provides a anti-bounce element to the cycling of the action.
    Basically, the locking lever spring plays a huge part in dictating the dwell time of the action before it cycles.

In regard to your light striking issue, I highly reccomend you keep shooting the gun. Mine had a few light strikes its first 500rds, and its had some random tula that just wouldnt go off either (the primer was deeply smashed, and re-smashed again to try to ignite it, but no dice.)
    It has since stopped acting finicky as the bolt gap dropped with wear. Mine is sitting around .012, and it eats anything I throw in it. Including hangfiring crappy weathered old wolf from the early 2000's.

If you continue to have fail to fire issues once your bolt gap has dropped and settled, then you have another issue. I'm doubtful its the hammer and its spring, because there have been a few people on HKpro with bent firing pins in their ptr32's. That hammer is hitting hard as hell.

I'd replace the locking lever spring, before investing in the new hammer spring. Save yourself a few bucks, and narrow down the easiest thing first. Plus, an extra powered hammer spring could bring additional problems later down the road. You'll have a higher chance for firing pin mushrooming, hammer face deformation, and the potential for the pin itself to bend.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    I thought another member might know of a retailer on this side of the bridge who has it on the shelf in the shop.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    PTR32 Update:
    My bolt gap is 12-14 thou, so well within spec.

Went to AGC Sat. Fellow member had just picked up a PTR 32P (~8") version. Had same problem as my 32K w/ many rounds failing to fire with light primer strikes. I brought mine along to test but forgot the extra power spring at home:o His was LOUD but we didn't compare it side by side to my longer K (~12") as I was so mad at myself for forgetting the spring I never even took it out of the case. We'll have to do a side-by-side comparison at some later date.

So to redeem myself I went out shooting w/ some other friends on Sun and installed the spring. Fixed! Had a couple FTEs (stovepiping mostly) but it lit all the primers off. We were shooting off a table using a HK bipod so you are basically limp-wristing the thing BADLY. We all attributed the FTEs to that. Good news is that we could hit 200yd steel targets pretty easily off the bipod. It will be very nice SBRed:) I'm convinced of its reliability enough now that I'll file for the stamp this week.

I also ordered a replacement claw spring, but upon comparing it to the one already in the gun its the same. So you don't need a replacement of that. Just order the extra power spring if you have the problem. AFAIK, hkparts is the only place w/ them in stock.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    PTR32 Update:
    My bolt gap is 12-14 thou, so well within spec.

Went to AGC Sat. Fellow member had just picked up a PTR 32P (~8") version. Had same problem as my 32K w/ many rounds failing to fire with light primer strikes. I brought mine along to test but forgot the extra power spring at home:o His was LOUD but we didn't compare it side by side to my longer K (~12") as I was so mad at myself for forgetting the spring I never even took it out of the case. We'll have to do a side-by-side comparison at some later date.

So to redeem myself I went out shooting w/ some other friends on Sun and installed the spring. Fixed! Had a couple FTEs (stovepiping mostly) but it lit all the primers off. We were shooting off a table using a HK bipod so you are basically limp-wristing the thing BADLY. We all attributed the FTEs to that. Good news is that we could hit 200yd steel targets pretty easily off the bipod. It will be very nice SBRed:) I'm convinced of its reliability enough now that I'll file for the stamp this week.

I also ordered a replacement claw spring, but upon comparing it to the one already in the gun its the same. So you don't need a replacement of that. Just order the extra power spring if you have the problem. AFAIK, hkparts is the only place w/ them in stock.

Please keep updating this, I would like to have one of these as long as the bugs are worked out both on the FTF and FTE.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    Please keep updating this, I would like to have one of these as long as the bugs are worked out both on the FTF and FTE.
    Stay tuned. I just picked one up. My initial impression is quite good. I am holding off on doing a write up until I have a chance to put it through it's paces.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I have a couple of Gen 1s that run great. Only major difference I have seen so far are in the gen 2 the mag well spacer goes all the way around. The mag release looks stronger. There marked differently( they use the logo instead of just the engraved writing) And they don't use the really nice billet forearm anymore :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom