• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krucam

Ultimate Member
    A Memorial to World War I Veterans of PG County who Died in Service had a bunch of folks panties in a wad because it is shaped like a cross. They sued in District Court and won. On appeal to CA4 the ruling was affirmed. Onto the Supreme Court...

Oral Arguments were held yesterday at One First in American Legion v American Humanist Ass'n.
    https://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/the-american-legion-v-american-humanist-association/

I'm completely Atheist but was raised Catholic. I still say Merrry Christmas. I don't find a Cross offensive any more than I find a Civil War Statue offensive. I don't find the Jewish Star of David offensive, I don't see the Islamic Crescent Moon offensive.

I do find offensive any 90+ year Memorial honoring those who died in service to our Country being threatened.

Hope this gets smacked down...
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/cert/17-1717

Last edited:

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I grew up near there and even as a 4 year old I knew a memorial called the Peace Cross does not 'advance or inhibit religion'.

It memorializes sacrifice and promotes peace. Duh.

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    The SCOTUS signaled they will allow the memorial to stay, saying that even though it's shaped like a cross its purpose and meaning are not religious.

That was only half the issue. What made this suit even more egregious is that the memorial was erected on private land using private funds. Decades later, the property, which contained the memorial, was annexed by the state for public use.

So not only is there the secular nature of the memorial but the fact that no government had any part in its commissioning or construction.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Absolutely. I am all about separating church and state but the historical context needs to be considered.

Erasing history I’m any way is bad

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    "Amendment I
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

As noted in the posts above regarding the history of this memorial, Congress and government had nutt'n to do with "establishing" that memorial.

(yes I know establishment and establishing are different things in the BOR and the way I used it in my post)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom