• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I meant the debate over safety in schools, etc. I agree that armed guards is the answer.

I did not mean any debate about 2A rights, though I can see how you could have misinterpreted.

I wasn't disagreeing with your sentiment. Just wanted to send a reminder to everyone that we don't owe anyone an explanation or a good supporting argument. :thumbsup:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Gregory was stating that 40% of firearms were bought outside the NICS system. Can that possibly be correct?

Sure. FTF sales. I think Yellowsled accounts for about 7.8% of firearm sales with his C&R. Correct me if I'm wrong, but C&R does not go through NICS.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I'm not confused, and I already said that we all know it won't make a difference. Don't have the same automatic knee-jerk response as the antis. Read what's written.

I am reading what is written. You think it is time to (at least partially) capitulate to appease idiots with more infringements upon my rights. Further, you even admit they won't make a difference. Completely illogical. Giving up a little at a time is how we will end up like Australia. You are confused.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    ^^^ I don't think that Mr. LaPierre did so badly in the press conference, especially since the NRA doesn't usually hold press conferences.
    He probably reviewed that video a dozen times, or more, and will have some hair spray/gell, to hold his hari in place.

He did rather well, considering the fact that he didn't have a teleprompter at eye-level, like Obamalamadingdong has, 99% of the time.
    if it werent for teleprompter he wouldnt even know WTF he was even saying...oh wait...he doesnt know...he just reads whatever is on it...:sad20:

Gregory was stating that 40% of firearms were bought outside the NICS system. Can that possibly be correct? I see a few folks walking around gun shows with for sale signs on their guns and maybe a table or two of someone selling their antique collection, but the VAST majority are lined up at ffl/dealer tables buying and going thru NICS, and of course that's the case at all of the stores.

was that based on any real data? 40% could include people that have CCW permits...most states that have them allow you to buy with no NICS check...they just put your CCW permit # on the 4473..I think people that buy/trade at a gun show that walk around are maybe 1-2% of all the people that go to a gunshow.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I think the NRA should participate on all panels to discuss ways to improve kids' safety. I am a life member but disappointed in Wayne's hard stance this week; the NRA did not put its best foot forward. There are small concessions that can be made to appease the antis without conceding 2A rights. There is no solution to this very complex problem. Newtown and CT had taken reasonable steps to forego this tragedy and yet it happened. I think we're about to be hammered here in Maryland with a slew of new laws and restrictions on top of the ones that don't work.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I think the NRA should participate on all panels to discuss ways to improve kids' safety. I am a life member but disappointed in Wayne's hard stance this week; the NRA did not put its best foot forward. There are small concessions that can be made to appease the antis without conceding 2A rights. There is no solution to this very complex problem. Newtown and CT had taken reasonable steps to forego this tragedy and yet it happened. I think we're about to be hammered here in Maryland with a slew of new laws and restrictions on top of the ones that don't work.

Why do you feel the need to appease the antis? Stop trying to appease fools that live in a fantasy world or make decisions based on their own fears and cowardice.

chucks

Sep 30, 2010
    I understand some states allow FTF transactions with no involvement from the state government, let alone the federal government.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012

I don't think small concessions will appease the anti's. Wayne is attempting to refocus the outrage towards guns into meaningful change. He has no choice.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Why do you feel the need to appease the antis? Stop trying to appease fools that live in a fantasy world or make decisions based on their own fears and cowardice.

Exactly...

why is it that ALL household have kitchen knives and cleaning chemicals and yet 99% of those households dont have kids getting a hold of a knife or drinking a bunch of bleach?? Sure there will be some toddlers at some age that will get into them somewhere in the US...but for the most part its not an issue! And yet These same liberaltards/ and anti's no doubt have kitchen knives sitting on their counter and cleaning supplies under their sinks...:sad20: but they wont be asking to ban kitchen knives or bleach anytime soon...:sad20:

Echo

Troublemaker
    Oct 31, 2012
    Annapolis
    Small concessions lead to bigger concessions. How about making small concessions with the first amendment so no one gets their feelings hurt or offended. How about giving in to the Taliban's call to make it a federal crime to talk about Muhammad or Islam in a bad way? That's just a small concession that will end terrorism right?

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Small concessions lead to bigger concessions.
    Bingo! We've made all kinds of concessions here in Md. 7 day wait, one regulated a month, 20 round mag limit etc., and they still keep coming after us every year. Conceding to them only gives them momentum to pass more laws. F'em!

ed bernay

Feb 18, 2011
    Bingo! We've made all kinds of concessions here in Md. 7 day wait, one regulated a month, 20 round mag limit etc., and they still keep coming after us every year. Conceding to them only gives them momentum to pass more laws. F'em!

When confronted with the ineffectiveness of their policy position, they always resort to "we have to do something and at least its a start." Concessions will lead to nothing but us losing our rights slow, through their own admission. We must concede nothing and actually publicly call them out when they don't include possession of all semi auto weapons in their AWB. If they believe their own BS, then put it in a bill for everyone to see who votes for it. Not banning and confiscating current possession gives some in Congress the political cover they need to vote for an AWB. They get to pound their chest for the ignorant masses and at the same time not create a situation that could possibly get them killed. DO NOT GIVE THEM that cover. If they want to deny Americans their second amendment rights, then let them have the balls to go on record as supporting a law that essentially bans most guns and allows the threat of deadly force by law enforcement for non compliance. Feinstein knows civil disobedience will be rampant. We are not like the English or Australians.

Also, the NRA needs to get a better spokesperson that Wayne...by better I mean from a PR perspective and a recruiting perspective. They need to get an african american female or hispanic male. Wayne, through no fault of his own, plays into the angry white man persona that the media loves to play on.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I am reading what is written. You think it is time to (at least partially) capitulate to appease idiots with more infringements upon my rights. Further, you even admit they won't make a difference. Completely illogical. Giving up a little at a time is how we will end up like Australia. You are confused.

You are entitled to your opinion. I note that you live in Maryland, so you are already making concessions. If you truly believed in what you are saying, as strongly as you claim to believe it, wouldn't you have moved to a state that has far less restrictive gun laws?

Like it or not, the reality is that most of America doesn't care how 2A applies to our freedoms right now. They are acting out of emotion because 20 babies were murdered with a rifle that they don't understand. Like it or not, their fantasy (as you called it) is functioning as their reality, and they can support legislators that can remove all of our rights with the stroke of a pen.

Don't put me into that camp just because I'm looking at this objectively and trying to explain what we're up against. I'm on your side, even though I don't agree with your approach. Right now, we need to buy some breathing room. Then we need to restore the beliefs of the majority in the importance of 2A. If that means that, after a certain date, high capacity mags and drums need to be bought with a license and registered in a bound book, so be it. Digging in your heels in this environment, and saying you won't budge an inch, may make you feel like you are doing the right thing, but it's not doing the smart thing. If most Americans go against you, you're going to lose more than you can imagine. Then are you ready to go hide in a bunker somewhere to preserve your right to have high-capacity mags? You aren't even prepared to move out of MD as it is.

I'm not saying that your core sentiments are wrong. They aren't. I'm just saying that this isn't the environment in which taking a 100% hard line stance is going to get the support of most of America ... even those who own guns. Keep in mind that owners of high-capacity mags and drums make up a very small percentage of the country's population, and most Americans don't understand why we should have the right to own them. The smart thing to do right now is to make them think we're willing to make that ownership safe.

one-star

Mar 9, 2009

Check out this poll data....you are not alone
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...gun-owners-vs-the-nra-what-the-polling-shows/

ezliving

Besieger
    Oct 9, 2008
    Undisclosed Secure Location
    We need another dozen pro-gun-rights media surrogates to support Wayne LaPierre's efforts. Call in reinforcements. LaPierre is good but we are outnumbered and fighting the liberal media machine.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    You are entitled to your opinion. I note that you live in Maryland, so you are already making concessions. If you truly believed in what you are saying, as strongly as you claim to believe it, wouldn't you have moved to a state that has far less restrictive gun laws?

Like it or not, the reality is that most of America doesn't care how 2A applies to our freedoms right now. They are acting out of emotion because 20 babies were murdered with a rifle that they don't understand. Like it or not, their fantasy (as you called it) is functioning as their reality, and they can support legislators that can remove all of our rights with the stroke of a pen.

Don't put me into that camp just because I'm looking at this objectively and trying to explain what we're up against. I'm on your side, even though I don't agree with your approach. Right now, we need to buy some breathing room. Then we need to restore the beliefs of the majority in the importance of 2A. If that means that, after a certain date, high capacity mags and drums need to be bought with a license and registered in a bound book, so be it. Digging in your heels in this environment, and saying you won't budge an inch, may make you feel like you are doing the right thing, but it's not doing the smart thing. If most Americans go against you, you're going to lose more than you can imagine. Then are you ready to go hide in a bunker somewhere to preserve your right to have high-capacity mags? You aren't even prepared to move out of MD as it is.

I'm not saying that your core sentiments are wrong. They aren't. I'm just saying that this isn't the environment in which taking a 100% hard line stance is going to get the support of most of America ... even those who own guns. Keep in mind that owners of high-capacity mags and drums make up a very small percentage of the country's population, and most Americans don't understand why we should have the right to own them. The smart thing to do right now is to make them think we're willing to make that ownership safe.

+1

You realize we're completely at the mercy of people who are hostile to us, right? Sorry guys it's math. 2A leadership will need to be more strategic than "NO". There will be time for legal battles but we need "breathing room" as noted above.

In Maryland (not nationally) we should lay down something that is tolerable (10 round max sales/transfers), let them declare victory and live to politically fight another day. Or you can roll the dice on losing the farm like our brothers in NJ.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    +1

You realize we're completely at the mercy of people who are hostile to us, right? Sorry guys it's math. 2A leadership will need to be more strategic than "NO". There will be time for legal battles but we need "breathing room" as noted above.

In Maryland (not nationally) we should lay down something that is tolerable (10 round max sales/transfers), let them declare victory and live to politically fight another day. Or you can roll the dice on losing the farm like our brothers in NJ.
    Umm, no!

one-star

Mar 9, 2009
    I'm not confused, and I already said that we all know it won't make a difference. Don't have the same automatic knee-jerk response as the antis. Read what's written.

Sorry, but I know the government and policy game as well as probably anyone on this board, and I know that you can be right, or you can be smart. It's time to be smart. Otherwise, we'll end up like Australia ... with nothing ... because the majority of the American public, who don't know the facts, will be emotionally persuaded to shift away from our views and will see us as irrational gun nuts. LaPierre didn't help today. I wish that Lindsey Graham had been speaking for the NRA.

I'm just keeping it real, folks. Don't get pissed at me because it's not what any of us--including me--wants. The public is looking for a fix from any direction possible, and right now, to the majority of the public, we're looking like a small minority who are refusing to be a part of the fix. What I proposed would be an inconvenience to us, but not a prohibition, and the public would perceive it as us doing our part to work toward a solution.

Im concerned about the same echo chamber bubble that took out Karl Rove.....we all talk amongst ourselves about the need for this or the obvious rights to that and we dont hear what the rest of the country is saying. The same thing happened in the last election and Id hate to see our rights fall in the same way. Graham made a much better case than LaPierre and doesnt come across as tone deaf to the situation, which will be come a huge liability as we move forward (especially if god forbid there is a copy-cat crime).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom