So what is your favorite holster style for CCW?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    What is your favorite holster style?

Also mention your choice of gun, external clothing used and amount and type of draw practice, especially live fire exercises, weak hand and unusual positions.

Edit: Don't forget your Spare Mag or Ammo Carry also

No bashing of others' choices and no pictures necessary especially if you opt for thunderwear style

Inside Waist Band

Outside Waist Band

Small Of Back

Crossdraw

Shoulder Holster

Shoulder Bag or Manbag

Pocket (Jacket or Pants)

Belly Bands or Thunderwear

Mexican Loop

Homeboy

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    For myself,

I prefer a real leather like a Milt Sparks Summer Special for IWB or Yaqui Slide for OWB.

Gun choice ranges between a GP100 3" FS, Colt LWC or BHP. Would consider G17 or 21SF in the future.

Outer garment varies with the temp and I don't practice enough wearing a jacket.
    Can't stand the photographer's vest for concealment.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    packing heat

highly dependent on where I'm going and what I'm doing, but my usual at the shop is either a Glock 19 in a Fobus paddle holster (easy on, easy off) OWB because I dont have to hide it (I know, not CCW). That rig has gone with me on my travels sometimes because it was at the shop and it was the only PERSONAL gun I had there.

When it is politically acceptable to have a gun or I will have minimal personal interaction, I tend to opt for a Commander sized (4 inch) 1911 in a leather IWB holster made by a guy named Jose (I'm gonna plug him here because I have several of his holsters, they are simple, effective, and priced right if you can't justify IHL, another of my preferred holster makers) that runs a biz called JMG Holsters. I have an IHL Limited for a 5" 1911 that I can use the commander in should I choose to.

When it is not politically acceptable to carry a firearm (read when I visit mom and dad or attend a function sure to be full of Antis) I have an HK P7 that I love dearly and wear in a holster made, again, by Jose of JMG. It is an SOB IWB that he made up for a very low ride, offset metal clip, and doesn't print much with that small pistol. I generally couple it with a very loose fitting shirt just to be sure.

For a cover garment, I will select based on weather and the political appropriateness of carrying a firearm (if someone sees it will they wig out?) A good Cabelas work jacket will cover most of my rigs and is bulky enough to resist identifiable printing. Pockets can be weighted with spare mags or my keys. summer time, a button down short sleeve shirt cut long works when used over a Tshirt. I prefer earth tones with sturdy material to avoid the shadows you get with very light colors and the printing with thin or stretchy materials (that and lycra shirts in neon yellow are teh ghey).

For spare mags, there are lots of options. When I can, I like two spare mags in a Galco double mag carrier (leather). When not, one mag in a galco single mag carrier (also leather). I recommend stainless 1911 mags to those that carry one....summer + sweat + leather + worn blued steel = mad rust. The P7, I bought one factory phosphatized mag and them parked one of my not-so-new ones so I've got two carry-friendly mags. Take my word for it, rust removal from the inside of a single stack mag is a royal pain.

I'm a little guy, so i'm more limited in what I can pack without people seeing it.

B1web

Cogito Ergo Sum! (cogito)
    Jan 11, 2008
    I am still dialing in my personal preference and have the requisite "Drawer of misfit holsters" to prove it. You experienced guys can tell me, will I ever be done with this process?

Seems that it is more of a journey than a destination right now. Anyway.....

Matt Del Fatti OWB with Beltman belt for a USPc in .40. Warmer weather is a milt sparks OWB for a Kahr CW45.

Although I just droped some serious weight and orderd the Cross Breed Supertuck 3 weeks ago so ...to be continued.....
    :D

dirtybird

Mar 20, 2010
    Mini-tuck IWB with CW9 is hard to beat for comfort and concealment. Had mine on pretty much whole family holiday time outside MD and nobody was the wiser. I've got a larger supertuck for FNP-9 and and it's good as well although you need to be a bit more careful about what shirt you are wearing with the increased size.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Government 1911 in a Comp-Tac M-Tac.

Works for everything down to t-shirt and shorts for me. I've got the real estate to spread it out. :D

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I tuck mine in my thong.

3620904126ee9e00cc09.jpg

Oreo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 23, 2008
    Considering I have no LTC anywhere that requires one I haven't put a lot of mileage on it but I have found my Don Hume H715-M T.B. to be inexpensive, quality, and comfortable enough to do the trick until we get shall-issue here and then I'll probably upgrade to something like a comptac MTAC.

Nice thing about that Don Hume holster is it's a clip-on that I have clipped to a bracket on my nightstand. If I need it I can just reach for the gun but if I feel the need to take the holster with me I can just grab the whole thing and clip it to whatever pants I'm wearing, assuming I'm wearing any. :D

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Sig P229 .357 in a galco concealable model belt holster with either the single or double mag carrier. Untucked shirt and I'll slide the rig forward if under an untucked t shirt.

When I don't feel like carrying.... LCP tucked down in that little coin pocket of the jeans. Fits perfect depending on the jeans brand. Mag in the left pocket.
    Or the LCR in my coat pocket if it is jacket weather. Speed clip in the pocket. Sometimes I'll throw her in a regular civilian looking eagle creek brand fanny pack man purse.

I get more than enough range time drawing from under a cover garment with the Sig.
    The lcr, I'm probably shooting right from the pocket :)

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Glock 23 in a Super Tuck IWB when the clothing is right for it. If its warm or the situation calls for extra discrete carry I go with a Ruger LCP in a Desantis Pocket holster. I carried my 1911 at one time but after many days of carry I found I was considering leaving it behind. Needed something lighter and more comfortable. The 1911 is one of my favorites just not a carry piece anymore. Mdeng

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Primary de jure OWB , almost always a pancake. In recent years second in strieght left hand, usually pancake. In prevous decades second would at times be shoulder and/or ankle . Pocket only for occasional third.

"For my body" it is rare for a gun/ IWB combo to not be a torture device.

Ironically since I wear a vest frequently in regular life, my prefered cpncealment mode is shirttail. And yes two full sized guns OWB conceal under a shirttail conceal just as easily as one.

Bottom feeder ammo carried in an actual knife or multitool pouch ( hidden in plain sight) . Revolvers- two or three Speed Strips carried in pager pouch ( plain sight again)

Have the proverbial quantity of holsters. Of the various pancakeish the ones closest to Roy Baker Origionals in angle and ride highth are prefered.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've used an Uncle Mikes IWB el cheapo holster and a Bianchi Black Widow for my 1076 when I had it, and was more impressed with the belt holster than the IWB. I need to lose about 30 pounds before I can try an IWB again. So I have belt holsters for my PT840, SP101, and 1911s. The keep the gun tight to my side, and work well under my rugby shirts when I carry. And since I carry on my strong side, any printing looks like I'm carrying a smart phone. The PT840's holster was purchased at the gun show along with the gun, so I don't remember the brand but it's more of a belt slide holster. The SP101's holster is a Bianchi that's made for a 2" K-Frame. It's a high-ride holster so it fits under a t-shirt pretty well. The 1911's holster is made South America somewhere and is a pancake style holster. I don't particularly care for this one as the muzzle of my 1911 tends to stick out the bottom of my shirts. It's not a problem when I wear a jacket or coat, but at some point they do come off so this will have to be addressed.

Jim

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I use Grandfather Oak http://www.grandfatheroak.com/ pocket holsters. I have one for my Kahr PM9 which i use in winter, and I have another for my Kel Tec P3AT which i use in the summer. Honestly if i didn't have a pocket holster I probably wouldn't carry at all. I just haven't found any other system that comfortable enough to use. If it's uncomfortable I just won't do it. With the g.o. holsters I forget it's even on me.

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    SAXDSC40 in a Kholster IWB. 4:00. No extra mag. Pocket carry in Desantis Nemesis, front right, Kel-tec p-3at

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom